Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by SniperCT View Post
    The NX may do well. Ever since the N64 nintendo tends to release one hit home console followed by one that doesn't do as well. N64 outsold the gamecube by 1.5x, then you had the Wii which sold more than the previous two combined, then the Wii U. (granted, the U may eventually barely match GC sales at best)

So if history holds and they do it right the NX could be another hit.

But they all still turn a profit no matter how 'badly' they do. Nintendo will be fine.
    The n64 was pretty far from a "hit" console. Not a complete failure like the GC/Wii U but pretty far cry from NES/SNES/Wii.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bigworm79 View Post
    the 3ds has sold 59.6 mil and the PS4 has sold 40.4 mil
    What is this comparison even? You do realize the 3DS has been on the market for 63 months and the PS4 only 30 right?

So using your numbers the 3DS has sold 952k units a month and the PS4 has sold 1.3 million units a month right?

Where you trying to claim the 3DS is a bigger success then the PS4? Because that's not even close to the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech614 View Post
    That movie is awesome though, don't try to tell me otherwise. Watch it drunk
    I actually love it too
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post

I have already provide an article. IMHO it's more than enough to demonstrate the state of PC gaming. I'm not going to dig through my memories to generate a list of buggy ports.

125 million you say. Where are the sales then? Developers aren't idiots. They go where the money is. There is a reason PC isn't a priority platform.
    I still do not fully agree with that list, but fine, I'll concede that point. The only solid list I could find on games, talking about steam now, is a collective list of 1,7 billion games sold. Also have to remember that steam really isn't the only platform of games on the PC.
    This is over the span of the release of steam naturally.

But the way I see it. 1.7 billion is a bit more than what consoles sell. Unless you have other numbers, which again, I'd be glad to take a look at.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rougle View Post
    I still do not fully agree with that list, but fine, I'll concede that point. The only solid list I could find on games, talking about steam now, is a collective list of 1,7 billion games sold. Also have to remember that steam really isn't the only platform of games on the PC.
    This is over the span of the release of steam naturally.

But the way I see it. 1.7 billion is a bit more than what consoles sell. Unless you have other numbers, which again, I'd be glad to take a look at.
    The proof is in the tasting of the pudding. Why else would developers prioritize console development?

There are even AAA titles that are console only like Destiny. Heck, AAA first party titles that probably cause 10s of millions to make can even survive off the sales on just one console - sure the console manufacturer can take a hit but there is a limit to how much it can do so; games that don't sell enough will have to killed off sooner or later.

Edit: Also

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wit...les-72064.html

For AAA games, consoles are king. (No surprise there. Top of the line PCs to run AAA games aren't cheap. You will frequently need hardware that is higher spec than the consoles because the developers can't optimize as heavily due hardware variance - and the higher level APIs to hide said variance.)

Your 1.7 billion ... how many are $5-$10 games?
    Last edited by SodiumChloride; 2016-05-06 at 11:10 AM.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Please give us a new Metroid before that happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    What could go wrong?

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING CAN GO WRONG WITH THIS PLAN!

Actually, I think that movie is what made Nintendo so cautious with their IPs since. I fully expect they wouldn't sign a new film contract without keeping some level of creative control.

In the style of Daredevil? :P
    The comparison was made to the quality of Game of Thrones.... except, y'know, PG, so without all the incest and sex and nudity.

I figure they'd aim for Lord of the Rings tone and get that PG-13 target. But with more fantasticalness.

10+ Year Old Account
    I have never really liked Nintendo outside of my Gameboys and Pokemon as a kid.

Can't say I will be sad to see them go (as a console maker).

Quote Originally Posted by I Push Buttons View Post
    I have never really liked Nintendo outside of my Gameboys and Pokemon as a kid.

Can't say I will be sad to see them go (as a console maker).
    As a child of a Snes era I will never let Nintendo go. They own my soul, and quite frankly between Nintendo and PC, I have most things covered.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by pyrostorm9001 View Post
    As a child of a Snes era I will never let Nintendo go. They own my soul, and quite frankly between Nintendo and PC, I have most things covered.
    Yeah I was a little late to the Nintendo show. I owned a Gamecube for a time for the Resident Evil prequel and reboot as well as the gamecube versions of RE 2 and 3, but otherwise didn't use it for anything. Then I bought a Wii at some point and literally sold it days later, just couldn't get into it.

Just not my cup of tea.

A lot of it will hinge on the success or failure of the NX unfortunately they are pushing another gimmick instead of a solid game system. They have already pushed away 3rd party devs and damaged relationships with fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SodiumChloride View Post
    The proof is in the tasting of the pudding. Why else would developers prioritize console development?

There are even AAA titles that are console only like Destiny. Heck, AAA first party titles that probably cause 10s of millions to make can even survive off the sales on just one console - sure the console manufacturer can take a hit but there is a limit to how much it can do so; games that don't sell enough will have to killed off sooner or later.

Edit: Also

http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Wit...les-72064.html

For AAA games, consoles are king. (No surprise there. Top of the line PCs to run AAA games aren't cheap. You will frequently need hardware that is higher spec than the consoles because the developers can't optimize as heavily due hardware variance - and the higher level APIs to hide said variance.)

Your 1.7 billion ... how many are $5-$10 games?
    That is a fallacy. To run top of the line games at or above console levels you generally only need to invest 600 dollars. As PCs go further down the generation, the hardware divide also grows. Do more people own consoles? Sure. And it is wise of devs to make use of all potential customers rather than shutting them out. To develop for only one platform is foolish unless the check they are getting cut from the console devs for exclusivity makes up for lost sales. In many cases it doesn't anymore.

http://www.nintendo-insider.com/2016...fficer-system/

Just wanted to throw this here. Nintendo is restructuring their business, specifically going to an Executive Management system in order to split company wide business decisions with their day-to-day business decisions in the hopes of making sure they can keep up with changes to gaming industry, with Reggie Fils-Aime and Satoru Shibata (CEOs of Nintendo's American and European branches, respectively) getting promotions to Executive Officers.

Legendary!
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    That is a fallacy. To run top of the line games at or above console levels you generally only need to invest 600 dollars. As PCs go further down the generation, the hardware divide also grows. Do more people own consoles? Sure. And it is wise of devs to make use of all potential customers rather than shutting them out. To develop for only one platform is foolish unless the check they are getting cut from the console devs for exclusivity makes up for lost sales. In many cases it doesn't anymore.
    The PS4 is $350 + a free game and you don't have to do any of the legwork in putting the thing together.
    Internet forums are more for circlejerking (patting each other on the back) than actual discussion (exchange and analysis of information and points of view). Took me long enough to realise ...

People have been saying this for almost 20 years about Nintendo. It's almost funny really. Nintendo is way smarter than most people give them credit for. For all the success Sony has had with their Playstation line, Nintendo has probably made more money on video games in that time than Sony has. They've most certainly made more money than Microsoft has on their Xbox line (which bled, and may in fact continue to bleed money from the company). People expect Nintendo to do things like Sony and Microsoft, but if they did that, they would have gone bankrupt a decade ago. Sony is content to throw hundreds of millions of dollars at the Playstation line so they can promote Blu-Ray, or build an online service they can use for their other shit. God knows the only reason Microsoft is in this business is to help promote the success of their other platforms. Nintendo doesn't want to do that. Consoles are designed to sell games and make them money. There's no ulterior motive there.

Wii U has been a failure, no doubt. It's lost them money, which they don't like doing. But that is a true rarity for Nintendo. Even in the times most have completely dismissed them, they've been pulling in the benjamins. I'd be willing to bet that, at the very least, they'll return to profitability with the NX.

Oh, and about E3. Nintendo doesn't care about E3. E3 is a massive boondoggle that costs these companies millions of dollars for minimal returns. They tried to kill it a decade ago, but that ceasefire ended pretty quickly, and now all these publishers spend more and more money trying to one-up the other. Nintendo already abandoned the press conference format, so it's hardly surprising they wouldn't bother showcasing the NX there, either. Chances are they'll unveil it at an event they control. It's no dire sign they're skipping E3...it's the same story it's been for Nintendo for years, which is that they consider it a waste of time. And it is...it really is. An entertaining waste of time, but a waste of time nonetheless.