Upgrade now? Wait? Not sure on MOBO...

So, I tend to have 2 PCs in my home. The main one is typically fine, and the 2nd one tends to determine my time to upgrade... It's currently still rocking an AMD II 955.. it's okay, but is getting... sluggish.

I'm looking to upgrade, and pass down parts from main to old..

A general Idea on what I'm looking to build would be this...

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Micro Center)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($130.00)
    Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($41.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.16 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $524.11
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-04 18:35 EDT-0400

I'm pretty certain on the I5-6600k, as between this pc and when it is passed down, it needs to last 5-6 years.
    I'm torn on the MOBO, I'm trying to keep cost down as low as possible, with out cutting myself short. Somewhere 600-700 range.

With the GPU I was thinking either the gtx 950, but I was also looking at the 960 w/4gb .
    But then, Pascal is supposed to be a monster jump, and right around the corner.

What is the likely hood a pascal based gpu will hit the market in the $150-$200 range within the next 2 months?

can't make up my mind...

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Suntzu-Cenarius View Post
    So, I tend to have 2 PCs in my home. The main one is typically fine, and the 2nd one tends to determine my time to upgrade... It's currently still rocking an AMD II 955.. it's okay, but is getting... sluggish.

I'm looking to upgrade, and pass down parts from main to old..

A general Idea on what I'm looking to build would be this...

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury Black 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($37.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($41.98 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($64.16 @ Amazon)
    Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($39.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $524.11
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-04 18:35 EDT-0400

I'm pretty certain on the I5-6600k, as between this pc and when it is passed down, it needs to last 5-6 years.
    I'm torn on the MOBO, I'm trying to keep cost down as low as possible, with out cutting myself short. Somewhere 600-700 range.

With the GPU I was thinking either the gtx 950, but I was also looking at the 960 w/4gb .
    But then, Pascal is supposed to be a monster jump, and right around the corner.

What is the likely hood a pascal based gpu will hit the market in the $150-$200 range within the next 2 months?

can't make up my mind...
    Well here's my opinions:

CPU: Good.
    Motherboard: Good.
    Memory: Get DDR4 2666MHz that runs @ 1.2V for the same price, get tangible gaming benefits.
    SSD: Pretty much picked the WORST SSD in existence. Switch this out for either a Samsung 850 EVO or Crucial MX200 and also preferably 240-250GB but that's your own choice on the matter.
    HDD: Some people swear by Seagate, I know I won't touch it with a 10ft bio-hazard pole. Though this is a personal opinion only.
    PSU: OK-ish I guess.

Now you don't have a CPU cooler with that build and the 6600K doesn't include one so get a cheap one like a Cryorig H7 or Cooler Master 212 EVO.

As far as Pascal for that price range goes... I think your chances on that one might be slim, I wouldn't expect it under $ 250,- if the GTX 1060 is released, IF they release it at all.
    Next friday should be a reveal event for Battlefield 5 and probably nVidia's new line of cards, hang tight and see what comes up there.

If not AMD's Polaris should deffo come out with a $ 200,- based card in the next couple of months.

Chances of a new Nvidia card at that price range are slim at best. In the next few months anyway.

You will either have to wait it out or go with AMD's Polaris cards.
    | Intel i5-4670k | Asus Z87-Pro | Xigmatek Dark Knight | Kingston HyperX Fury White 16GB | Sapphire R9 270x | Crucial MX300 750GB | WD 500GB Black | WD 1TB Blue | Cooler Master Haf-X | Corsair AX1200 | Dell 2412m | Ducky Shine 3 | Logitech G13 | Sennheiser HD598 | Mionix Naos 8200 |

A few quick alterations.. nothing is really set in stone. A lot of it was just quickly chosen.

I'm not really set with anyone item really, just starting to put this together. I'm not set on the HD, but for 2tb its a solid price, and I've not had any issues with seagate. May just be one of the lucky ones.

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.49 @ Amazon)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($81.72 @ Adorama)
    Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX Mid Tower Case ($57.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $660.33
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-04 23:49 EDT-0400

Still need to pick a GPU, I was thinking eithera 950 or 960w/4gb. I don't think I can wait till q1 2017 for the nvida.. I'll probably see what happens with AMD within the next week..

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! PURE ROCK 51.7 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.90 @ Newegg)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($104.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2666 Memory ($46.99 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($81.72 @ Adorama)
    Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($49.99 @ Micro Center)
    Total: $651.63
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-05 00:45 EDT-0400

CPU cooler is a little quieter, if you care.

Your motherboard choice was good, but this one will perform the same and is a bit cheaper.

I like the Corsair 200R case better.

15+ Year Old Account
    I like Lathais' build in general but would still go with the ASUS board.

As I said the HDD is personal opinion and the evidence I have for them is mostly anecdotal.
    Mostly due to the fact it's my experience with them and the overall amount of failures I see going on with them but also not anecdotal because Blackburn (or w/e it's called) publishes records of hard drive use and failure rates after a year and Seagate is at the top of those charts.
    Granted though they do use consumer based hard drives in massive server based racks which vibrate like crazy.

As far as GFX goes lemme ask you this: What exactly do you intend to play? (I mean specifics)

As far as games go, nothing out of the ordinary. I plan on getting over watch but that's not to much on the requirements. Really it isn't anything to extreme, fallout will probably be the most demanding, but I've pretty much wrapped that up.

My thing is I need to replace something, where my hand me down is fine, and the replacement needs to last several years though frist and second pc.

15+ Year Old Account
    As far as games go, nothing out of the ordinary. I plan on getting over watch but that's not to much on the requirements. Really it isn't anything to extreme, fallout will probably be the most demanding, but I've pretty much wrapped that up.

My thing is I need to replace something, where my hand me down is fine, and the replacement needs to last several years though frist and second pc.
    Well.. the thing is that with Blizzard games the trend is that nVidia cards run in general better with their games.
    I however do not know if this is true for overwatch.

And with the cards coming out in the next month or 2 I would still suggest you wait that period.
    But if you want a basic entry right now I would go for the GTX 950... but anything above that I would recommend an R9 380 or higher due to the fact that the current gen AMD cards simply have better DX12 support .. and I assume you will be playing random future games as well.

But I really do recommend waiting for at least AMD's Polaris architecture which should be coming in mainstream first where it's rumoured nVidia will do high-end first.

I think I've decided to wait, at least on the gpu. Iay go ahead and build up the rest keeping current gpu for now until and is out, we will see... may just set up some price alerts and keep an eye open for deals

Quote Originally Posted by Evildeffy View Post
    I like Lathais' build in general but would still go with the ASUS board.

As I said the HDD is personal opinion and the evidence I have for them is mostly anecdotal.
    Mostly due to the fact it's my experience with them and the overall amount of failures I see going on with them but also not anecdotal because Blackburn (or w/e it's called) publishes records of hard drive use and failure rates after a year and Seagate is at the top of those charts.
    Granted though they do use consumer based hard drives in massive server based racks which vibrate like crazy.

As far as GFX goes lemme ask you this: What exactly do you intend to play? (I mean specifics)
    Why would you still go with the ASUS? From what I can tell the only thing it really offers over the one I chose is SLI support, which is pretty much a waste.

As far as Seagate drives go, yeah, I've heard bad things about them as well, but the Barracuda line in particular I have heard good things about. He wanted a 2TB drive and the WD options are quite a bit more expensive. Even going with 2 1TB Western Digital drives is about $20 more expensive. If you need more than 1TB of storage, the Seagate Barracudas are a decent choice.

- - - Updated - - -

I think I've decided to wait, at least on the gpu. Iay go ahead and build up the rest keeping current gpu for now until and is out, we will see... may just set up some price alerts and keep an eye open for deals
    Out of curiosity, what is your current video card? The 950 really is a pretty solid choice on the low end at this point. Depending on what you have, it might not be a bad idea to just grab one and then plan on upgrading it in another year or two as the rest of the system should last a good long while.

This is my current "Big" pc... (note - I believe the hard drives vary, I'm not sure which one is where, but I know I have 1 WD & 1 Seagate, both running strong)

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($232.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.49 @ Amazon)
    Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Pro4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($37.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 840 Series 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 XT 2GB Video Card
    Power Supply: Rosewill Green 530W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply ($54.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $512.21
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-05 17:02 EDT-0400

And, I think (for the most part) this is my "little" computer.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
    Motherboard: Asus M4A79XTD EVO ATX AM3 Motherboard
    Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($24.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($46.98 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 6850 1GB Video Card
    Power Supply: Antec Basiq Plus 550W 80+ Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($64.98 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $136.84
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-05 17:12 EDT-0400

The pc itself isn't horrible, it could use a more ram and a sd would bring life into it, but I plan on using these guts to make a plex server, that will also hold a minecraft server for my son. Running off of linux.

The fact I want to make a plex box, and the fan on the HIS Radeon HD 6850 is crazyloud... makes me want to do this sooner.

I have have looked into just getting a new fan for the HIS Radeon HD 6850, but a whole new cooler is around $50, so why not just upgrade....
    Last edited by Suntzu-Cenarius; 2016-05-05 at 10:25 PM.