Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Pretty soon Trump is going to be suggesting that internment camps for fat people be built, and that they pay for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Heladys View Post
    Pretty soon Trump is going to be suggesting that internment camps for fat people be built, and that they pay for it.
    that's a brilliant idea. you just gave trump another excellent idea.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    that's a brilliant idea. you just gave trump another excellent idea.
    I figured you would want Trump to make a draenei camp, and make them build it with parts from the exodar.

Quote Originally Posted by thatmikeguy View Post
    Sure everyone knows that, but some people burn calories at a far higher rate at rest than others.
    Even if this were true, burning calories is only 10% of the battle. The first 90% is not putting them in your mouth to begin with. Eat according to your energy demands and you won't be obese it's that simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    Great, another theory for fat people to latch onto because they refuse to be anything other than the victim. "No, that fry found its way into my hand as I was yawning! I didn't want to eat it, but my teeth started to itch so I started smashing them against each other. Then I remember there was something in my mouth and I panicked so I swallowed. It's really not my fault, I'm just a victim!"
    I love the fake strawmen that are constructed for purposes of... just being an ass I guess? Literally have never seen anyone who was overweight blame it on anyone, or anything. Fat people know they're fat. They don't need mouthbreathers screaming at them. People who go "Just don't eat as much and exercise fatty its not hard" are probably the same ones that tell people who are depressed to "suck it up, we all get sad no reason to cry about it".
    There are so many contributing factors to being overweight, economic/cultural/mental wellness etc.

Deleted
    Oh, I see. So, basically, now we have scientific proof that obesity is a disease, and thus no overweight person is responsible for being overweight, and anyone who fat shames them is actually an exponentially bigger douchebag than previously thought.

Good that it's settled now. I'm sure we can stop having threads about overweight people after this revelation.

Deleted
    Well, some people are very likely to gain weight while some are not. I eat like a monster and not particulary healthy either, I drink a lot of beer, some soda etc, I'm yet to gain any weight since I was 16. I've basically been 68 kg ever since without fail, that's 11 years. So I could absolutely buy this explanation. Although I'd be fully understanding to it being genetic as well. I still think a lot of people need to take a serious look at their lifestyles though as being obese can't be very healthy in any way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    There is way more to the epidemic than this. Stop spreading false information.
    Harsh quote but true:
    "There weren't any fat people in concentration camps"

Not a bacteria, not a disease, just filthy habits.

Some diseases exist (I know someone that can't burn calories therefore even a light meal is weight gain) but they account for less than 1% of the obese population.
    Last edited by mmoce2f72405d7; 2016-05-06 at 10:20 AM.

It's amazing how we have all these obesity experts/scientists in this thread to let us know it's fat peoples fault.

Otherwise people might get confused and talk about the actual topic.

http://news.nationalpost.com/health/..._lsa=46cc-efa8

I knew it!
    Finally we have some hard data to back it up.
    So much for just letting each person live their own life.
    keep telling this to yourself that its goverments fault and not fault of lazy asses who cant even work out 2-3 days a week for health on spend whole work day at desk and then sit on couch all evening.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fliida View Post
    Well, some people are very likely to gain weight while some are not. I eat like a monster and not particulary healthy either, I drink a lot of beer, some soda etc, I'm yet to gain any weight since I was 16. I've basically been 68 kg ever since without fail, that's 11 years. So I could absolutely buy this explanation. Although I'd be fully understanding to it being genetic as well. I still think a lot of people need to take a serious look at their lifestyles though as being obese can't be very healthy in any way.
    68 kgs? And how tall are you?

10+ Year Old Account
    So long as Trump signs himself up to go, dudes a porker

http://news.nationalpost.com/health/..._lsa=46cc-efa8

I knew it!
    Finally we have some hard data to back it up.
    So much for just letting each person live their own life.
    Several "could" statements in there to call that hard data. Just in case all this guessing isn't accurate why don't we stop being lazy, over eating and do something.
    "Privilege is invisible to those who have it."

I would think living with other obese people (especially as a child to parents) would "pass on" obesity more in the form of shared eating habits before I would look to anything else. Sure there's other factors, but if you are taught to eat absurd portion sizes, you effectively were taught to be over weight.

Studies like this however might explain why it's harder for some to lose that weight.

Current health care system = obesity clinics for fat people, and everyone else pays for it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Calories in - Calories out = Weight gain or loss

It's not that hard to understand. This is just people trying to blame their self failures on something else.

Deleted
    Roughly 1.84 meters.

Great so they have it backwards and then they get lauded for being stupid?

So they overfeed mice who are healthy (and thus get overfed) and mice who lack microbes (and thus cannot digest their food properly) and then they discover that healing the sick ones (by reintroducing the missing microbes) makes those susceptible to being overfed, too?
    What great geniuses, they have discovered that if you make it so that an organism cannot digest its food it is harder to overfeed! Who would have thought!
    Now we have a way to fight obesity without eating less: We just make people sick and they will get thin despite eating!

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    Great so they have it backwards and then they get lauded for being stupid?

So they overfeed mice who are healthy (and thus get overfed) and mice who lack microbes (and thus cannot digest their food properly) and then they discover that healing the sick ones (by reintroducing the missing microbes) makes those susceptible to being overfed, too?
    What great geniuses, they have discovered that if you make it so that an organism cannot digest its food it is harder to overfeed! Who would have thought!
    Now we have a way to fight obesity without eating less: We just make people sick and they will get thin despite eating!
    This is ignorant as fuck. Here's the original study: http://www.nature.com/nature/journal...ture05414.html
    It's in one of the best scientific journals, and has been cited in nearly 4,000 scientific publications. Next time you think you know better than the world's leading scientists, you might want to think a little harder.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by iceberg265 View Post
    OK first off, obesity just means you're BMI is over 40. That is all. You can be a body builder with 5% bodyfat and be techincally obese.
    First: BMI is a really bad measurement, as (as you mentioned) body builders can have a "too high" BMI. Second: There is more to obesity than just being fat. There's inflammation of the fat tissue, certain receptors have a reduced sensitivity (e.g. insulin receptors), the microbiota of the intestines changes and more. It, thus, is a disease.

OT: I highly doubt that the relatively few spores released from one's gut microbiota can outcompete the vast populations of currently occuring microbes. The gut microbiota have many different ways of repelling invading (whether pathogenic or not) microbes. So unless the food supply changes there's no way that a few microbes from an obese person can outcompete another person's microbiota.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post
    Load of shit.
    Exactly what you need to change one's microbiota *grins*

Quote Originally Posted by Illuminance View Post
    Is that the study from the OP? I mean, this study is a really nice one even though this is well known for people studying gut microbiota, but it does not mention anything about spores and stuff. Ofcourse transplanting microbiota that can harvest energy more sufficiently to an individual with an uncolonized gut is going to cause the receiving individual to harvest energy more sufficiently and thus increase the chance of obesity.
    Last edited by Taurenburger; 2016-05-06 at 08:26 PM.
    Pokemon Y / Pokemon OR
    Friendcode: 0791-2124-3938 (IGN: Michiel)