Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    My opinion is that these men have lost opportunities, financial issues, health issues and a high degree of stress. All this can cause depression, which can bring about suicide. No place in the world isn't without their issues. But money is certainly the root of all this.
    In a society that values wealth and material goods as much as ours it would be naive to think of it as anything less than a PRIMARY root. $100,000k in student loan debt. Many have died for less.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    These are the same voters Trump has tapped into.
    And will betray.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kamuimac View Post
    there is plenty of jobs - maybe not as rewarding as they would want but they areo ut there- its people problem they thing half of jobs are beneath them and would rather suffer poverty then work in some places.
    As the standard of living rises at a higher rate than wages do, it comes to the point where a lot of individuals will have to choose to work several jobs just to stay afloat. You want depressing? How about your average work week going from 40 hours to 60? Or even 80?

I would fucking pull the trigger without hesitation if I had to devote that much of my life to serving John Q Asshole err I mean Public.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    The war on memes might be a deciding factor here.

Hello, censorship.

Because life is boring and there is no way to add endless pleasure to your life... After a while life becomes ordinary and we consume too fast.Honestly those who wanna go to afterlife are smarter than those who live the life same every day

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by unknowndeath View Post
    Because life is boring and there is no way to add endless pleasure to your life... After a while life becomes ordinary and we consume too fast.Honestly those who wanna go to afterlife are smarter than those who live the life same every day
    Those that believe in an afterlife are only trying to ease the fear and humility of rotting in the ground or being vaporized by intense flames. Which I believe you actually feel. Enjoy

Deleted
    I've always figured it's because people are cowards and take the easy way out as they see it. A permanent solution to a temporary problem. I don't think many of them even stop for a second to consider a second what effect it may have on people around them.

Elemental Lord
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Narwhalosh Whalescream View Post
    Is it because of capitalism? Just kidding.
    Yes, the economy has resulted in cheap rope.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fliida View Post
    I've always figured it's because people are cowards and take the easy way out as they see it. A permanent solution to a temporary problem. I don't think many of them even stop for a second to consider a second what effect it may have on people around them.
    While this may apply to some suicides, I think it's a little bit too one-sided. Suicides that are caused by long-term depression are more complicated than that. Most of those people usually want a way out and know that it will hurt their family and friends, but those thoughts only create more emotional pressure. Just imagine incredible pain combined with no will to live, surely everyone will try any ways out at some point.

Then there are the suicides caused by acute severe emotional distress. In that case immense support is required combined with stress-reducing therapy which usually causes suicidal thoughts to disappear after a few months.

At least that's how I divide causes of suicide.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zandro View Post
    Its because children these days are so coddled and can't be told about anything negative and never experience losing. Every child is 'special and important and a winner,' and every kid gets a participation award regardless of what happens. Children are not taught how to take a loss, or what experiencing losing is all about, so the first time they experience a hard loss, i.e. a break up, they think the only answer is suicide.
    That's probably one reason. People live such a secured life thinking they are so special, that when the real life eventually kicks in, they can't cope with not getting what they want. Stupidity, selfishness and superficiality.

On the other hand it's not exactly unheard of to have extremely intelligent and successful people succumbing to depression, alcoholism and eventually suicide, but usually for very different reasons.

I can imagine that intelligent people are more prone to depression on average, because they are smart enought to see through the facades and to understand when things are heading towards a shit direction -- and get frustrated when the less intelligent people around them don't understand their points and warnings.

When you dig into the stats a bit, you find that the increased suicide rate is primarily being driven by an increase in suicides among white women aged 45-65. So this isn't the result of:

- Loss of religiosity. This is a generational shift, and white men have seen an increase in lack of religiosity more than any other group.
    - High unemployment. The unemployment rate is highest among blacks, who have seen reductions in suicides over the past 15 years.
    - Coddled children unused to experiencing hardship. Again, the suicide rates have increased the highest among adults.
    - "Internet Isolation." Again, the suicide rates have not increased the highest among the demographics where habitual internet use is the highest.
    - Old people deciding to commit suicide to avoid terminal illness. The suicide rate among people 75 years old and up has actually gone down.

What's also interesting is that this increased rate is more of a return to the rates of the mid-1980s; there was a precipitous decline in suicides in the fifteen years between 1985 to 1999, and the subsequent fifteen years saw those rates gradually return. So perhaps the question isn't "What is going on now to make people kill themselves?" but "What was going on during the last decade of the previous century to cause the suicide rate to drop, and what caused that trend to reverse itself?"

It's probably a combination of things. Reductions in prescription antidepressant use due to concerns over side-effects, increased availability of prescription painkillers -people are more likely to act on suicidal ideation if they have access to a convenient and "comfortable" means of suicide, and OD'ing on prescription opiates is the primary means by which 45-65 year old white women kill themselves - and a host of other factors.
    Last edited by Slybak; 2016-05-06 at 09:03 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fliida View Post
    How about those with an untreatable or... one that is unaffordable to treat.. illness? See, there's a lot of factors you didn't consider when you wrote that.

And trust me, one day you too will come to such a crossroad. We all do.

ALL OF US.

10+ Year Old Account
    3 year old article on 6 year old data observed over a period of one year. Is it even valid anymore?
    Gaming: Dual Intel Pentium III Coppermine @ 1400mhz + Blue Orb | Asus CUV266-D | GeForce 2 Ti + ZF700-Cu | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 | Whistler Build 2267
    Media: Dual Intel Drake Xeon @ 600mhz | Intel Marlinspike MS440GX | Matrox G440 | 1024mb Crucial PC-133 @ 166mhz | Windows 2000 Pro

IT'S ALWAYS BEEN WANKERSHIM | Did you mean: Fhqwhgads
    "Three days on a tree. Hardly enough time for a prelude. When it came to visiting agony, the Romans were hobbyists." -Mab

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Daish View Post
    no its not

its because happiness is relative

if you tell people they are special and that everything will be ok and thinking "positive" will make things better and to always expect a happy life with no problems it will cause more suicide then anything else you could ever do to another human
    Which in the end boils down to stress & anxiety, I don't think the guy was completely wrong. Stress and anxiety levels are relative as well. It's pretty obvious that increased stress may induce anxiety/depression and thus reduces happiness.
    Last edited by mmoc98007ae430; 2016-05-06 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Typo

Trump.

/10 Fuck Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nearby, preventing you from fast traveling.
    Boredom? A world without any kind of drive for survival turns stale pretty fast.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    How about those with an untreatable or... one that is unaffordable to treat.. illness? See, there's a lot of factors you didn't consider when you wrote that.

And trust me, one day you too will come to such a crossroad. We all do.

ALL OF US.
    In what universe, healthcare is practically a freebie here. Untreatable, maybe, still a very cheap way to go.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussiedude View Post
    Wrong.. I had a team mate in my Soccer team commit suicide and his parents where well off financially.

It can affect anyone..Rich, poor..and it is very had to pin down the reasons or predict anyone that may self harm.
    You don't seem to know what ''increases'' means...

Quote Originally Posted by Teebone View Post
    As the standard of living rises at a higher rate than wages do, it comes to the point where a lot of individuals will have to choose to work several jobs just to stay afloat. You want depressing? How about your average work week going from 40 hours to 60? Or even 80?
    try having your own buisness and work 16 + hours a day to make it succesfull before complaining about working 60-80 hours for someone else- also there is such a magical thing as payment being multiplied if you work in overhours so i dont really mind staying more then 8 hours when there is a lot of work since im getting 200-250 % of normal hour salary for each hour then - seems quite worth the hassle.

10+ Year Old Account
    I see the suicide gap between men and women is still massive. Can't we inspire our female counterparts to more suicide to be on par with the men?

10+ Year Old Account
    Because in my opinion life is good only when you are young, and when ppl getting old life becomes boring for them. Not saying that evry young person having good life, some of them suffer from horrible diseases,violence,hunger etc.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people just want to reroll their life.

Quote Originally Posted by Flutterguy View Post
    Some people just want to reroll their life.
    nah noone would want that. If i were to live my way different, i would still end up where i am now.... Life is full of meaningless pointless activities...Some people take pleasure in playing card games, some people like playing video games and on and on... But in the end, eveything is same even if you add meaning to your life each and every day. Even if you were to live your life as you wished, still you would end up the same place. And Noone not even the pm has the luxury of living his life different each and every day. Noone can plan their life in a way that would result in him living their life diffent each and every fucking day.