Page 1 of 20
... LastLast
    Deleted

Oregon State University To Force Incoming Students to Take "Social Justice Training"

Oregon State University Will Force Incoming Students to Take 'Social Justice Training'

Students will learn to report bias incidents (like pro-Trump chalk messages).

http://reason.com/blog/2016/05/04/or...ll-force-incom

Critics of the current intellectual climate at university campuses believe classrooms are indoctrination camps where left-wing academics brainwash students into becoming social justice activists. They are mistaken. The most pernicious and questionably legal forms of indoctrination aren't happening in the classroom at all, and are primarily driven by administrators rather than professors.

Oregon State University provides a good example. The campus has plans to implement a new training program for incoming freshmen in the fall of 2016. Dr. Angela Batista, the campus's interim diversity officer, sent an email to students earlier this week asking them to review the proposed training program. This training is ideological by its very nature: students will complete on-line modules in "social justice learning," "diversity," and "inclusivity."

"This training initiative is intended to provide all students entering Oregon State University an orientation to concepts of diversity, inclusion and social justice and help empower all OSU students to contribute to an inclusive university community," according to the proposal.

The modules will brief students on the history of social justice activism at Oregon, stress the importance of diversity and inclusivity, and provide students with resources to "incorporate the pursuit of social justice within their university experiences." It will let them know about the Bias Response Team, which provides a website where students can report each other for perceived harassment.

The BRT's latest efforts make clear what kind of nonsense counts as a "bias incident." The team has been studiously investigated the appearance of chalk messages on campus. These messages targeted "Muslims and immigrant communities." It seems likely they were actually pro-Trump messages, since Batista also felt the need to reluctantly clarify that Oregon "does not oppose any particular political candidate." Nevertheless, students are encouraged to report chalk drawings that offend them to a variety of university bureaucrats, according to Batista's email.

Students who want to become social justice activists are welcome to do so—and should take advantage of the university's considerable resources geared toward such a life. If professors want to instill left-wing values in their students, they can: as long as they make reasonable accommodations for students to challenge them and engage in an exchange of ideas.

Indoctrination via non-classroom training module, on the other hand, is a much more worrisome system, because it's harder for students to challenge administrators than it is for them to challenge their professors. A student has no method of dissenting during an online training session on the necessity of complying with the university's diversity dictates. Indeed, students might reasonably fear that agreeing with the ideology of the trainers is a precondition of coming to campus.

Students are no longer merely required to grapple with leftist ideas in the classroom—they increasingly must live, sweat, and breathe "oppression studies." It is no wonder that so many of them have developed a healthy disrespect for the principles of the First Amendment. They are being trained—not taught, but trained—to think everything that offends them is a bias incident.

Last edited by mmoca8403991fd; 2016-05-06 at 03:32 PM.

I'm still at a loss for why this behaviour is so rampant and prolific at Universities, but frankly I don't see it lasting at this point. I think this whole culture will implode once a few more mainstream pieces are done on it.
    I am the lucid dream
    Uulwi ifis halahs gag erh'ongg w'ssh

10+ Year Old Account
    I kinda wanna apply just to take the exam.

I always thought universities was a place for learning and spreading knowledge, you know, education.
    Not a place for a bunch of assholes to indoctrinate young people with their insane ideology, oh how wrong i was.

This kind of shit you will only see in private religious institutions over here, even then they get alot of anger for it.
    Last edited by Strangebrew; 2016-05-06 at 11:19 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    OP could you provide another source for the news, its the first time I hear about the blog and the other sources either failed to report it or don't give a shit. Nonetheless, I don't find it problematic. Its at worst another course that they must approve, and looking at the curriculum it doesn't seem that bad at all. So if someone could point me to the harms of this new course, so I can get why this is dangerous.

As for the possible harmsof the BIAS REPORT INCIDENT, it seems they are just designated to report cases of racism and preferencial treatment of any kind. Just checking at the website, http://oregonstate.qualtrics.com/jfe...mdIdTRe2ObShwx, it even states that actions maybe limited if decided to report anonymously, so that takes the chance of a system prone to abuses by anonymous and false claims. Its too early to determine if the system is flawed or what not, as for now its no different that universities making religious teachings mandatory.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xekus View Post
    I always thought universities was a place for learning and spreading knowledge, you know, education.
    Not a place for a bunch of assholes to indoctrinate young people with their insane ideology, oh how wrong i was.

This kind of shit you will only see in private religious institutions over here, even then they get alot of anger for it.
    Unless you're involved in the hard sciences(where the purpose of the university is to give you access to a lab or equipment you otherwise would not have access to), university is purely about reputation and networking. Education is more secondary. There's nothing there you can't learn on your own by reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryme View Post
    I'm still at a loss for why this behaviour is so rampant and prolific at Universities...
    Don't be! A significant chunk of some departments are openly radical, Marxist, and activist. I don't think we should be surprised when radical Marxist activists advocate policies that aren't friendly to classical liberalism.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    ...the other sources either failed to report it or don't give a shit.
    Obviously we draw different takeaways from this piece of information. I'm sure most mainstream sources would say, "nothing to see here, move along" - that doesn't imply that academic culture isn't putrefying.
    Quote Originally Posted by bollocks View Post
    As for the possible harmsof the BIAS REPORT INCIDENT, it seems they are just designated to report cases of racism and preferencial treatment of any kind.
    Well, surely they don't want all preferential treatment reported. It'd be a waste of time to let the administrators know about their own policies.

Deleted
    America is becoming a meme.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's something in the water... Florida
    My university was too focused on making big bucks (by expanding and using expansin as an excuse to raise tuition )to brainwash dumb kids who can brainwash themselves cause they lack critical thinking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    MMO-C, where a shill for Putin cares about democracy in the US.

7+ Year Old Account
    Oh for a second there I thought the article was "Ohio State University"

But hey, still not a good sign.

Our country is screwed.

10+ Year Old Account
    This reminds me of a video i saw yesterday, on the topic of Sargon of Akkad's petition, where the dude was saying he was in this US university to take a Stem degree or whatever and he was "forced" to take social justice classes anyway

From minute 1.25 and at min 2 he mentions the requirement of having to take 3 social justice related classes.

I'm still at a loss for why this behaviour is so rampant and prolific at Universities, but frankly I don't see it lasting at this point. I think this whole culture will implode once a few more mainstream pieces are done on it.
    If I had to guess, I'd say it's because most university students are still immature?

7+ Year Old Account
    Not to mention the teachers are cooky...

Had one art history instructor that tried to convince us all Middle Eastern culture was superior to western civilization in every way.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Xarim View Post
    The BRT's latest efforts make clear what kind of nonsense counts as a "bias incident." The team has been studiously investigated the appearance of chalk messages on campus. These messages targeted "Muslims and immigrant communities." It seems likely they were actually pro-Trump messages, since Batista also felt the need to reluctantly clarify that Oregon "does not oppose any particular political candidate."
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

The author didn't see the messages, but was only told they targeted Muslims and immigrants, and assumed they were "probably" pro-Trump messages.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Oh...that's hilarious. And says WAY more about Trump than it says about Oregon State.

Quote Originally Posted by alturic View Post
    If I had to guess, I'd say it's because most university students are still immature?
    The students aren't the problem. Without this trash being coddled, encouraged, and officially sanctioned by professors and administrators, it'd be a barely noticeable blip. As long as whole departments are swamped by intellectual bankruptcy and grifter positions like "Chief Diversity Officer" are respected and salaried at a quarter million per year we can reasonably expect a continued increase in this tripe on campuses.

Take a look at what actually is in the courses of "Women Studies" and you will see where it comes from.
    "It doesn't matter if you believe me or not but common sense doesn't really work here. You're mad, I'm mad. We're all MAD here."

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    The students aren't the problem. Without this trash being coddled, encouraged, and officially sanctioned by professors and administrators, it'd be a barely noticeable blip. As long as whole departments are swamped by intellectual bankruptcy and grifter positions like "Chief Diversity Officer" are respected and salaried at a quarter million per year we can reasonably expect a continued increase in this tripe on campuses.
    People at 18 often believe that their parents are stupid and that their generation is the first generation that "gets" it. They absorb all the bullshit their left leaning professors throw at them like sponges.

It's not until their graduate and get some responsibilities that they realize they were lied to.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    People at 18 often believe that their parents are stupid and that their generation is the first generation that "gets" it. They absorb all the bullshit their left leaning professors throw at them like sponges.

It's not until their graduate and get some responsibilities that they realize they were lied to.
    My aunt's family has a son slightly older than myself.

Pretty conservative family. Good people.

Son went to college, came out nearly a Marxist. I really want to know what the hell happened at his college?

This is great news, finally young students will be taught how to be social and learn the skills needed to apply to the Justice League. I think all young people will be excited with a chance to work with such iconic heroes like Batman and Wonder woman, all the while learning important social skills to help them make it up the corporate ladder.

Truly a Win Win for everyone