Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Parents could be jailed for posting children’s photos online

Links:
    - French parents 'could be jailed' for posting children’s photos online
    - Could children one day sue parents for posting baby pics on Facebook?

Some selected quotes:

French parents are being warned to stop posting pictures of children on social networks in case their offspring later sue them for breaching their right to privacy or jeopardising their security.

Under France’s stringent privacy laws, parents could face penalties as severe as a year in prison and a fine of €45,000 (£35,000) if convicted of publicising intimate details of the private lives of others — including their children – without their consent.

Eric Delcroix, an expert on internet law and ethics, said: “In a few years, children could easily take their parents to court for publishing photos of them when they were younger.”
    Grown-ups who sue their parents for breaching their right to privacy as children could obtain substantial compensation awards, according to French legal experts.
    The French police recently renewed warnings about the danger of paedophiles targeting children after seeing family photographs online. Some parents have been forced to remove naked pictures of babies or young children from social networks.

Jay Parikh, a vice-president of Facebook, said the service was considering setting up a system to notify parents who put photographs of children online without restricting their privacy settings. Mr Parikh said: “If I was putting online a photo of my kids playing in the park, and I accidentally shared it with everyone, the system could say: “Hey, wait a minute, this is a picture of your children. Usually you only send them to members of your family. Are you sure you want to do this?’”

The French Gendarmerie has placed a warning to parents on its Facebook page: “Posting photos of your children on Facebook is not without danger … Protect your children!”. The Gendarmerie also advised parents to beware of ‘chain’ posts on Facebook with messages such as: ‘Are you proud of your children? If so, post three pictures of your beautiful children on Facebook and get 10 of your friends to do the same.’ The police fear that pictures of children may end up in the hands of paedophiles or criminals who could use them for identity theft. Many Facebook users find it annoying to be inundated with pictures of their friends’ children. They will be relieved that the police are now urging people to exercise caution.
    A 2015 study by internet company Nominet found parents in the UK post nearly 200 photos of their under fives online every year, meaning a child will feature in around 1,000 online photos before their fifth birthday.

“Your favourite picture of your child sitting on the potty for the first time may not be their favourite picture of themselves when they’re 13,” says author and child psychologist Catherine Steiner-Adair.
    Professor Nicola Whitton of Manchester Metropolitan University is among those predicting trouble. “I think we’re going to get a backlash in years to come from young people coming to realise that they’ve had their whole lives, from the day they were born, available to social media. A recent University of Michigan study found that children aged 10 to 17 “were really concerned” about the ways parents shared their children’s lives online

“Parents have to work out what’s right for them, but be aware that this is another person, another human being, who may not thank them for it in 15 years to come.

“It may seem hard, but my line would be don’t put pictures online until they’re of an age where it’s appropriate to discuss it with them,” Whitton says.
    She suggests parents think about exactly who they are sharing with, because 50 friends is one thing and 500 random people quite another. The recent Nominet study found 17% of parents had never checked their Facebook privacy settings.

“Everyone needs to consider the needs of themselves and others in an open way, bearing in mind that the digital world is changing, that images are permanently posted, and that the conditions of sharing and norms are all shifting in unpredictable ways,” says Livingston.

Welcome to the authoritarian state. If you give government the power to regulate people's lives to the minute detail, they will exercise that power.

Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    Welcome to the authoritarian state. If you give government the power to regulate people's lives to the minute detail, they will exercise that power.
    Indeed

I guess I'm in before hordes of euros start jumping in this thread telling us how much more freedom of speech they have than us.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    Indeed

I guess I'm in before hordes of euros start jumping in this thread telling us how much more freedom of speech they have than us.
    imo we should be targeting the pedophiles not the parents.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.
    i will never forgive you for this blizzard.

10+ Year Old Account
    Oh France, you so silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

Deleted
    Indeed

Europeans take paedophilia as an issue seriously. For example, we don't install puppet governments that legalize child rape.

10+ Year Old Account
    Every time I think I've read something dumb, someone thinks up of something even dumber. Holy fucking shitballs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    Europeans take paedophilia as an issue seriously. For example, we don't install puppet governments that legalize child rape.
    we don't either.
    r.i.p. alleria. 1997-2017. blizzard ruined alleria forever. blizz assassinated alleria's character and appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by breadisfunny View Post
    we don't either.
    No, that's not how this works. When a liberal makes an makes erroneous claim in an argument we are supposed to argue as though it's true.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    No, that's not how this works. When a liberal makes an makes erroneous claim in an argument we are supposed to argue as though it's true.
    huh what i am confused? who is a liberal?

Deleted
    we don't either.
    Yeah you do. That's what the government isn afghanistan is doing. Freedom, democracy and child rape. Go America!

Infracted. Don't troll the thread
    Last edited by Darsithis; 2016-05-09 at 12:46 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Just another absurd French law. Remember the law that restricts fathers from administering paternity tests without the consent of the mother? He has no right to know if the child is his.

I would never want to live in that country.

10+ Year Old Account
    Being embarrassed by your parents is like a ritual of growing up. Also, it certainly helps one deal with embarrassment in the future, which WILL happen.

10+ Year Old Account
    I wonder when people will wake up and realize that pedophiles do not troll Facebook looking for children. There are far, far easier and more immediate ways to find a child to abuse than random people on Facebook. These kind of laws are practically 1984 to me.

huh what i am confused? who is a liberal?
    I really need to find out how to type in a sarcastic voice.

An "expert on internet law and ethics"? What in the actual hell could that possibly mean?

UP NEXT AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PARIS: FACEBOOK ETHICS 101, SIGN UP TODAY FOR YOUR DEGREE!

Quote Originally Posted by Pawestruck View Post
    An "expert on internet law and ethics"? What in the actual hell could that possibly mean?

UP NEXT AT THE UNIVERSITY OF PARIS: FACEBOOK ETHICS 101, SIGN UP TODAY FOR YOUR DEGREE!
    Does it come with a Paetron account?

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Indeed

Seems somebody is trying to start yet another Europa vs America shitshow on MMO-C

But i'll bite, this is about France, a country, Europa is a continent.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    Being embarrassed by your parents is like a ritual of growing up. Also, it certainly helps one deal with embarrassment in the future, which WILL happen.
    To be fair, the main point is that you're exposed in front of the whole world and forever.

7+ Year Old Account
    This does seem extreme. OTOH, thinking twice before putting intimate details of anyone's life on the internet is a good idea.