Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 34 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Museigen View Post
    It was a satirical comment, I know you weren't talking it down.

Previously I've been in college and more financially tight and always built systems that had the highest dollar value using many rebates/coupons and made machines just like you speak of, 3-4 years later its finally dropping to low-medium settings (On like, Rust) so time to upgrade. This time, out of college and with a much better job I might go nerd ham. The only pain is deciding to wait for vega and compare or just go on a 1080 cause my 680 has that retirement age going on.
    Waiting for Vega is a bit long to wait and likely not worth it IMO. However, waiting and seeing when Polaris 10 releases and how good it is may not be a bad idea. There is a possibility(I think a pretty good chance actually) that the 490x will be coming out next month and will be on par with or better than the 1080, or at least a better price/performance ratio. Only time will tell, but almost half a year for Vega is a bit too much IMO.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Artorius View Post
    I'm actually curious about why you put a Fibonacci sequence at your signature, seems like a more interesting discussion
    An important sequence for medical modeling. Calculating insuline production, hormonal behaviour in the endocrine system, etc. Quite amazing, especially in my line of work, but probably boring for the rest

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Also, DX12 is already the new standard. It's released and people are using it. That kinda makes it the standard.
    You believe that's what makes it standard? Gosh, of my 50 games, not one has support for DX12.

Probably just to see who noticed it and if they would ask why.
    More like, eh, what should I put here? Ah, everything!
    Last edited by mmoc47927e0cdb; 2016-05-13 at 08:11 PM.

Deleted
    Waiting for Vega is a bit long to wait and likely not worth it IMO. However, waiting and seeing when Polaris 10 releases and how good it is may not be a bad idea. There is a possibility(I think a pretty good chance actually) that the 490x will be coming out next month and will be on par with or better than the 1080, or at least a better price/performance ratio. Only time will tell, but almost half a year for Vega is a bit too much IMO.
    http://www.overclock3d.net/articles/...cations_leak/1

I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but isn't looking to good for polaris so far.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post

I don't know if this has been posted here yet, but isn't looking to good for polaris so far.
    That seem to be mobile chips. Which makes it look the opposite

Quote Originally Posted by Moosie View Post

Yeah, it was posted, and in that very article if you look at the bottom, it says this is about the mobile chips, not the desktop ones. So pretty irrelevant.

-Update

Videocardz has claimed to have received the same information from a different industry insider, saying that these GPUs are intended for the mobile market. This means that potential desktop grade versions of these chips may be running at higher clocks and deliver slightly higher levels of performance.

Deleted
    Yeah, it was posted, and in that very article if you look at the bottom, it says this is about the mobile chips, not the desktop ones. So pretty irrelevant.
    Yeah didnt go down that far, normally when Im scrolling and I see their little facebook thing at the bottom, i just scroll back up.

Ya i don't think thats a mobile chip, 150w tdp on a mobile gpu in a generation they are supposed to be sipping power on?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    970's are down to 250 at microcenter, still not cheap enough but getting there.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4...Silent_Cooling
    Ha ha, I knew the price of the 970's will drop. And it's not $250, it's $225 with rebate. Get them while you can boys, cause they ain't getting any cheaper than that. At least not until Polaris is released.

"Nvidia chief executive Jen-Hsun Huang said that his company’s graphics chips are “further ahead [of the competition] than at any other time in our history.”
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/12/nv...-in-pc-gaming/

I kind of figured that was the case this generation, AMD has a backseat until they get it together nvidia just has more money and smarter people working for them. Im still rooting for AMD, and id even buy a polaris 10 if the price/performance is right as 1070 is too much power for the games i use.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    That settles it.

I may have just bought a 970... I don't give a shit! :O

LOOK AT THOSE NUMBERS HOLY SHIT.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Life-Binder View Post
    Yikes!

That 1080 figure is more than a 100% improvement over my '970, even non-OC'ed. I just may have to plop a 1080 into my rig, if these numbers are verified by other sources...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by FrozenNorth View Post
    Yikes!

That 1080 figure is more than a 100% improvement over my '970, even non-OC'ed. I just may have to plop a 1080 into my rig, if these numbers are verified by other sources...
    Nothing about it seems unrealistic. It's technically one tier above yours, which often means bigger chip, at a node that is almost 50% smaller. You can expect a 100% performance increase for the same power consumption.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Fascinate View Post
    http://venturebeat.com/2016/05/12/nv...-in-pc-gaming/

I kind of figured that was the case this generation, AMD has a backseat until they get it together nvidia just has more money and smarter people working for them. Im still rooting for AMD, and id even buy a polaris 10 if the price/performance is right as 1070 is too much power for the games i use.
    The thing is, Nvidia doesn't have smarter engineers. More money, that's for certain. If anything, their marketing department is genius. We are praising engineers who made the 970 with 3.5GB of VRAM + 512MB of "Turbo" memory. You don't see mistakes like this happening with AMD, but their marketing department spun it in such a way that nobody cares. Also, it's not like Nvidia has done anything innovative. HBM memory is AMD's work, as well as GDDR from ATI, which AMD bought. Nvidia doesn't contribute anything to graphics that AMD/Intel has used, unless I'm missing something? Don't forget about AMD's Mantle, which helped create Vulkan, which Nvidia is now praising with the new Doom game, like they had something to do with it.

Nvidia focuses on the high end market, and it's influence trickles down to the low end. Think about that the 970 is a 980 but crippled. This makes sense because when making the 980 there are defects, and rather than throwing it away they recycle it as a 970. But the demand for the 970 is much higher than the 980, so Nvidia uses perfectly good 980 chips and cripples them into 970's. Back in the day people would take $100 graphic cards and with a bios mod or driver, we could enable those disabled sections and turn it into a $500 card. So Nvidia's return on something like a 980 is much higher, despite the lower sales. BTW, AMD does this too.

The mentality in peoples minds is that if the 970/980 are awesome, then Nvidia's other cards must be too. A good deal of Nvidia's marketing money goes to benchmarks as well, with Gameworks. How many years have we seen games start with the "Way It's Meant To Be Played" logo? With Gameworks tuning games in Nvidia's favor, the benchmarks will always favor them. Believe me, Nvidia has paid forum trolls to attack AMD and praise Nvidia. Might be a few lurking in this forum. AMD doesn't have the capitol to do that, and while games do get their favoritism, there aren't many. Games like AOTS and Hitman are the only recent titles I can think of that favor AMD, and have had help from AMD. But I can name many more games that Nvidia has helped.

Nvidia's engineers are smart, but their marketing department is brilliant. Where AMD's engineers are brilliant, but their marketing department doesn't exist.
    Last edited by Vash The Stampede; 2016-05-14 at 01:04 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    The thing is, Nvidia doesn't have smarter engineers. More money, that's for certain. If anything, their marketing department is genius. We are praising engineers who made the 970 with 3.5GB of VRAM + 512MB of "Turbo" memory. You don't see mistakes like this happening with AMD, but their marketing department spun it in such a way that nobody cares. Also, it's not like Nvidia has done anything innovative. HBM memory is AMD's work, as well as GDDR from ATI, which AMD bought. Nvidia doesn't contribute anything to graphics that AMD/Intel has used, unless I'm missing something? Don't forget about AMD's Mantle, which helped create Vulkan, which Nvidia is now praising with the new Doom game, like they had something to do with it.

Nvidia focuses on the high end market, and it's influence trickles down to the low end. Think about that the 970 is a 980 but crippled. This makes sense because when making the 980 there are defects, and rather than throwing it away they recycle it as a 970. But the demand for the 970 is much higher than the 980, so Nvidia uses perfectly good 980 chips and cripples them into 970's. Back in the day people would take $100 graphic cards and with a bios mod or driver, we could enable those disabled sections and turn it into a $500 card. So Nvidia's return on something like a 980 is much higher, despite the lower sales. BTW, AMD does this too.

The mentality in peoples minds is that if the 970/980 are awesome, then Nvidia's other cards must be too. A good deal of Nvidia's marketing money goes to benchmarks as well, with Gameworks. How many years have we seen games start with the "Way It's Meant To Be Played" logo? With Gameworks tuning games in Nvidia's favor, the benchmarks will always favor them. Believe me, Nvidia has paid forum trolls to attack AMD and praise Nvidia. Might be a few lurking in this forum. AMD doesn't have the capitol to do that, and while games do get their favoritism, there aren't many. Games like AOTS and Hitman are the only recent titles I can think of that favor AMD, and have had help from AMD. But I can name many more games that Nvidia has helped.

Nvidia's engineers are smart, but their marketing department is brilliant. Where AMD's engineers are brilliant, but their marketing department doesn't exist.
    I certainly hope not.

Competition is a good thing.
    "A flower.

10+ Year Old Account
    Sometimes I wonder if AMD's marketing team isn't just their Engineering team when they have extra time lol.

10+ Year Old Account
    Believe me, Nvidia has paid forum trolls to attack AMD and praise Nvidia. Might be a few lurking in this forum.
    Oh please, as if AMD is a frikkin' angelic company that absolutely never resorts to dirty underhanded stuff... The thing is - both obfuscate, lie and distort truth all the time - every time some news break out and there is PR bullshit and counter-bullshit coming out in droves, like for example 970's VRAM which AMD seriously tried to turn into some huge issue as if it dooms all 970s or something, which was bullshit, because time proved that 970 is one of the best cards of 2015.

But you know what? Out of all the lies and bullshit, Nvidia's lie is sweeter, because right now it's backed by a GPU clocking near 2Ghz on air releasing in like 2 weeks from now, while AMD is all *cricket cricket* at the moment with Polaris being aimed at "efficiency per watt!" (which in GPU business basically means that it's not going to blow everyone out of the water with benchmarks) and coming sometime this year, no idea when.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaidax View Post
    But you know what? Out of all the lies and bullshit, Nvidia's lie is sweeter, because right now it's backed by a GPU clocking near 2Ghz on air releasing in like 2 weeks from now
    Apple clocks their ARM chips way lower than the competition and they always perform better for some reason, is it magic?

Nope.

You can achieve performance in various ways other than increasing clocks, a bigger chip with more transistors running at lower clocks is likely to give you better performance overall and the benefit that it won't ever throttle itself.

Does a FX8350 running at 5GHz beat a 6700K running at 4Ghz? Nope. Clocks aren't everything.

Deleted
    Oh please, as if AMD is a frikkin' angelic company that absolutely never resorts to dirty underhanded stuff... The thing is - both obfuscate, lie and distort truth all the time - every time some news break out and there is PR bullshit and counter-bullshit coming out in droves, like for example 970's VRAM which AMD seriously tried to turn into some huge issue as if it dooms all 970s or something, which was bullshit, because time proved that 970 is one of the best cards of 2015.

But you know what? Out of all the lies and bullshit, Nvidia's lie is sweeter, because right now it's backed by a GPU clocking near 2Ghz on air releasing in like 2 weeks from now, while AMD is all *cricket cricket* at the moment with Polaris being aimed at "efficiency per watt!" (which in GPU business basically means that it's not going to blow everyone out of the water with benchmarks) and coming sometime this year, no idea when.
    I keep finding it funny that just a few weeks back, we were all assuming both nvidia and amd would unveil their new cards at computex. But then nvidia sprung their event earlier, and now people are somehow blaming amd for not adjusting their announcement shedule, while the reality is AMD will announce around the 26th, before nvidias cards hit the market.
    Last edited by mmoc982b0e8df8; 2016-05-14 at 02:34 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Hm, I remembered when Maxwell was being crowned the perf/watt and made a huge deal out of it, now it doesn't matter? *scratch head*.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Hm, I remembered when Maxwell was being crowned the perf/watt and made a huge deal out of it, now it doesn't matter? *scratch head*.
    Nah fuck dat shit. That was sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo 2004.
    "A flower.