Thread: Gtx 1080

Page 93 of 103 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Well here in Belgium we get around 5-10 cards/week, iirc deffy said something similar for the Netherlands, which is peanuts, I got a preorder since 21/06 still no idea if or when I will get mine.
    Need better statistics than a store in your area that only gets 5-10 cards per week. Need some hard info. Someone who did an investigation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    Need better statistics than a store in your area that only gets 5-10 cards per week. Need some hard info. Someone who did an investigation.
    Can't give you that, can only say I spent 2 weeks looking around on every e-tailer I know even used a local version of pricewatch, and so far haven't seen any in stock other then a couple of F.E.s anywhere in Belgium or the Netherlands, couple German and French sites too. Amazon France even has estimated delivery between 3-5 months on certain models but sure there is no problem with supply, production or yields.

Not like anyone is going to admit anything about this who actually knows Kyle from Hardocp supposedly got the info that they know supply is low and it should get better next week, which was over a week ago.

Maybe they just don't want people to buy these and we will get 1080ti at 1200 € b4 these are widely available.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    Not like anyone is going to admit anything about this who actually knows Kyle from Hardocp supposedly got the info that they know supply is low and it should get better next week, which was over a week ago.
    Kyle and HardOCP are as corrupt as them come. I'm assuming that the 16nm is causing Nvidia problems and that's why the 1080's are hard to find. Kyle assumes as well, but he considers it a fact. Remember when Kyle Bennett was talking about how AMD is about to go bankrupt and the Radeon division will split off and go up for sale? His sources were never disclosed, and it was just after AMD didn't invite HardOCP to their shindig. A number of YouTubers were also not invited which pissed off people, but HardOCP doesn't like being compared to a YouTube channel.

Anyway, here we are with the RX 480 released and doing very well in sales. I'm fine waiting for someone to have concrete numbers than, I heard from a girl who's dating a guy who bumped into the janitor who works at Nvida and heard from a sales worker taking a dump that Nvidia has supply issues.
    Maybe they just don't want people to buy these and we will get 1080ti at 1200 € b4 these are widely available.
    Time is money and Nvidia doesn't want you to wait to spend money. If anything Nvidia will want you to buy a 1080, and then buy the 1080ti when released.

15+ Year Old Account
    Whilst I don't have any info regarding whether there's a TSMC issue or them not getting enough wafers, I do have some suppliers whom have stated to me as I've told you.

Now whilst that's not nearly enough to draw a conclusion on but let's look at the following:

Suppliers (old contacts from when I was a shop manager) have directly told me they aren't getting any ample supply in 1080s, plenty of 1070s now but almost no 1080s.
    Considering how 1070s are made and their availability vs. the 1080s I'm pretty much willing to take a risk and say that the TSMC process is still immature and 1080s are very difficult to get out of them.

Which TBH I find weird as TSMC's experience is far greater than Samsung/GloFo in lithography.
    Apple's A9 SoC has 2 "builds" - 1 from Samsung and 1 from TSMC and the funny thing is TSMC is 16nm and Samsung is 14nm yet the Samsung package is actually larger and also less efficient and slower than TSMC's process.

So I wouldn't have been surprised if the matter was close to the same in this instance.. but looks like this time it's the other way around.
    Having said that it's also far easier to make the RX 480 than the GTX 1080/1070 as they are 50% smaller.

10+ Year Old Account
    Samsung's is smaller actually by 9mm2 or so iirc. Indeed though, the process is young.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    Samsung's is smaller actually by 9mm2 or so iirc. Indeed though, the process is young.
    Hmmm ... the source I read actually had that reversed, ah well.
    Point still stands.

10+ Year Old Account
    Samsung's A9 is smaller, consumes more power at the highest frequency compared to TSMC's variant but also performs better.

Which is not really relevant since the process used at the A9 from TSMC's was their original 16nm FF process and the one used on "Pascal" is the newer 16FF+.

Samsung also has 2 different versions of their 14nm process, 14nm LPE and 14nm LPP. The A9 and the Exynos 7420 were 14LPE. The SD820, Exynos 8890, Polaris and apparently Zen are all 14LPP.

10+ Year Old Account
    http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-g...ashed-249-usd/

$249 for custom cards, $299 for founders edition. Both available 19th July 2016.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-g...ashed-249-usd/

$249 for custom cards, $299 for founders edition. Both available 19th July 2016.
    Let's wait and see how they are really priced 1070 and 1080 are still higher priced than the MSRP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Let's wait and see how they are really priced 1070 and 1080 are still higher priced than the MSRP.
    I'd guess $260-$270 for a decent AIB card.

Quote Originally Posted by Jtbrig7390 View Post
    Ya what they just annouced just killed all mid-range and high range current Nivida cards.

Hope this tanks the GTX 970 price and I mite just buy another one and SLI it for giggles.
    Don't sli 970s bud, trust me. I've been using sli 970 for over 6 months, and it's FAR better to have one single beast card. It's such a pain in the ass to sli on games that don't support it, and even games that do sometimes don't scale well at all. Doom in 2k gave me like a 10 fps jump at most from one 970 to two.
    I just got the 1080, and I'm so glad to be back to a single card. Hell if the 1080 is too much, get a single 1070, as that'll still beat 970 sli.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilz View Post
    They really pulled that Founder's crap again with the 1060? If the the 480 is remotely close to the 1060, the 480 is going to be a better buy at those prices. Especially considering the 3GB version isn't going to be recommended for a card that can max out settings in demanding games.

Then again at this point they could sell on brand name alone.
    There is no 3GB version, and nobody is forced to buy the Founder's Edition cards. You can wait for the custom cards which should retail around $250-$270 depending on the card. At that price point it compares quite well with the 8GB RX480.

On other news the 1060 is confirmed as a gp106 part:

http://videocardz.com/61942/nvidia-p...tured-up-close

- - - Updated - - -

Huh, more news, both partners and Nvidia will launch the card on the same date (no delay with partner cards as with the Geforce 1070/1080) and the FE $299 card will only be available from nvidia.com with partners not selling it. Apparently it was strongly hinted that the FE cards are going to be a limited supply run:

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10474/...x-1060-july-19

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zenny View Post
    I'd guess $260-$270 for a decent AIB card.
    Like I said, the 1070 and 1080 are priced above their MSRP... It is all nice and well that an AIB card might be 270 dollars, the shops might ask 325 for it if stock is low and there is a demand for the card.

MSRP wise I am also expecting custom cards to be between the 250 and 300 dollars. Which should be something like 275-350 euro, but we will see

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeara View Post
    Like I said, the 1070 and 1080 are priced above their MSRP... It is all nice and well that an AIB card might be 270 dollars, the shops might ask 325 for it if stock is low and there is a demand for the card.

MSRP wise I am also expecting custom cards to be between the 250 and 300 dollars. Which should be something like 275-350 euro, but we will see
    You can get 1070 AIB cards for roughly 10% over the MSRP, so I'd assume the going price for most custom 1060 cards would be around $260-$270. Custom RX480 8GB cards will likely retail for around $250-$260, so we are looking at a very small price gap.

I'm sure some stores will put a markup if demand is high and supply is low but it would be best to wait a month until prices stabilize.

Answer for the markup nonsense, is you wait and don't pay stupid prices.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    (Heavy Breathing)
    But but I must have shiny. Must have new shiny. It'll do taxes faster and cure cancer, and maybe play games.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Dukenukemx View Post
    It'll do taxes faster
    Nothing does taxes faster, nothing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigvizz View Post
    Yup.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but what kind of 1080 everyone got? And which one would you recommend. I'm thinking either MSI Gaming X or Gigabyte.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerevar View Post
    Sorry if this has been asked already, but what kind of 1080 everyone got? And which one would you recommend. I'm thinking either MSI Gaming X or Gigabyte.
    Depends what gigabyte one you're weighing up. I got the msi gaming x and couldn't be happier with it. Silent and keeps the card under 73 with a 2050mhz OC on it. They all offer similar factory overclocks with the msi gaming x/ asus strix being pretty much on par. The gigabyte gaming is a tad worse.

The new gainward phoenix range is meant to be better than all of those but i'm not sure if that's just the golden samples, will probably be more expensive then FE card as well.
    Last edited by Jakexe; 2016-07-08 at 07:25 AM.