Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    This is Obamas America. Time for a change vote Trump.

10+ Year Old Account
    Burning the American flag is a Constitutionally allowed form of Free Speech, as per Texas vs. Johnson, as signed off by the 1989 Supreme Court.

The fact that I happen to agree with it is not relevant.

It's just cloth, who cares? Now, it's done to piss people off so if thats your only goal, good for you. It's utterly pointless though.

I bet they would flip out if someone rolled up with a Mexican and Palestinian flag and started burning those.

Quote Originally Posted by Ransath View Post
    Wrong - it is a representation of the country.

I think people that burn their own countries flags are reprehensible. However, at least in the USA, I will defend their right to do so.

If you detest you country so much that you are willing to burn it's flag, then you have two options - either leave the country or get involved with politics and try to change whatever it is that you despise so much. Otherwise, you are just a petulant and immature asshole.
    While I love my country and would find the burning of its flag blatantly offensive, one thing to note about the whole 'get into politics' thing, is that on alot of levels its a money game. In order to be successful campaigning as a politican alot of the time, you have to give up a large amount of your time to meeting and talking to people. Since your only doing it by way of advertisement, typically in order to get votes, so you can GET a job as say a councilman or something, that typically requires enough money laying around or being generated by some other endeavor to be able give up those man hours and not be working for a living with them. Yes obviously you could theoretically work to be successful enough to then be able to spend time politicking but thats about as stupid an argument as telling any poor person to 'stop being lazy and go make a living for themselves' its not really that simple.

Heck just look at Hillary, shes been lauded as, if nothing else, textbook establishment in how she rolls. And most of how she gets by is largely via being a shill.

Besides, one could argue that this type of non violent protest IS a form of politicking - its using a legal but extreme act to garner attention, to force people who ARE in power, to recognize that people, or at least SOME of them, WANT something.

Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    I bet they would flip out if someone rolled up with a Mexican and Palestinian flag and started burning those.
    Imagine burning a quoran in public like this...

(OMG i didnt spell it with a capital letter, if i even spelled it correctly, the horror!)

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    If someone wants to burn their own flag, or their own book, or whatever the own in a safe manner...whatever trips their trigger.

If you are offended that someone burns their own stuff, you are the problem, not them.

If you spend more time obsessed about what people do with their own stuff or their free time than you do about actually supporting and helping your fellow country men and women, you need to worry about the log in your own eye...not the splinter in other people's eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimreaper View Post
    Imagine burning a quoran in public like this...

(OMG i didnt spell it with a capital letter, if i even spelled it correctly, the horror!)
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Jones_(pastor) and idiots like him. There was quite a bit of outrage about it in certain parts of the world.

The point rather is that unlike the retards who get up in arms about it, in the West it is permissible because we are fucking grown-ups and not little children, and our nations and ideals are powerful enough to stand with or without a piece of cloth being burned or not.

Unless maybe you're a veteran of a war that you actually chose to be a part of (and not drafted against your will, like many Vietnam vets) I don't really see much reason for anyone to get too mad or offended about this. People burning a flag are practicing their freedom do so. If anything, people should be happy in a sense to see it burned, as it's a demonstration of our freedom in this country to be able to do such a thing. Really, most of the people who are offended have never done much of anything to demonstrate their rights in this country, besides maybe voting...but burning your nation's flag, something that will get you jailed or worse in other countries...I think that's actually one of the greatest shows of "freedom" you can do here (not that I condone it, or give a shit either way).

The Lightbringer theostrichsays's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    In my douche canoe crossing the Delaware.
    In general it doesn't phase me much, as I got older my perspective on things changed.

With that said damn near every video I've ever seen has been some angsty little shit who couldn't articulate what he was mad about and was burning a flag to get a rise out of someone. The only time I've seen it in person was done specifically to get a rise out of people.

If you play stupid games, you will win stupid prizes. When we had the thread about the guys with a confederate flag on their truck getting beat up in Utah, I didn't feel pity. They did something to antagonize other people then got their wish of antagonizing other people. If you burn a flag wanting to piss someone off, and you do and get the brakes beat off you by somebody who cares more then I... well you got what you wanted.

Well, some would disagree...

Alslo, what part of the second sentence of my post did you not understand?

"I think people that burn their own countries flags are reprehensible. However, at least in the USA, I will defend their right to do so."

So why did you say "Sorry, but it's protected free speech"? I never said it wasn't. And why are you sorry that it is protected free speech? /smh
    I don't disagree with what you said. I think I was just furthering the point.

- - - Updated - - -

I just find it interesting that Some of the same people in,the thread saying the flag is just a piece of cloth are the same people who were falling over themselves to ban the confederate flag

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by supertony51 View Post
    I don't disagree with what you said. I think I was just furthering the point.

- - - Updated - - -

I just find it interesting that Some of the same people in,the thread saying the flag is just a piece of cloth are the same people who were falling over themselves to ban the confederate flag
    Tomy - that was not directed at you, that entire post was directed at Sinyc. Sorry if I was not clear

Quote Originally Posted by May90 View Post
    By the way, can someone explain to me why the video calls those people "SJWs"? Do people call everyone "SJWs" nowadays?
    I imagine there's several behavioral or ideological traits that people subjectively judge to label them so.
    This one specimen just so happens to fit a wide array of stereotypes to a highly comical degree.

Deleted

The confederate flag is probably closer to the heart of what modern america represents than what the official flag does. Kind of like Trump becoming president, at least all pretense would be removed.

Quote Originally Posted by advanta View Post
    The confederate flag is probably closer to the heart of what modern america represents than what the official flag does. Kind of like Trump becoming president, at least all pretense would be removed.
    Sigh

*pinches bridge of nose*

We get it, you hate the U.S.

No one cares

- - - Updated - - -

Tomy - that was not directed at you, that entire post was directed at Sinyc. Sorry if I was not clear
    All good bropocalypse now
    Last edited by Theinquisition; 2016-05-08 at 10:17 PM.

Deleted

We get it, you hate the U.S.

No one cares
    Like any one cares about anything any one says on here, especially that of a grunt repeating platitudes off Fox news.

Hoof Hearted!!!
    10+ Year Old Account
    I love how SJW's try to say they are all inclusive, then they go and disrespect the country they want to take them seriously.
    when all else fails, read the STICKIES.

I don't particularly care.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Flatspriest View Post
    I love how SJW's try to say they are all inclusive, then they go and disrespect the country they want to take them seriously.
    I imagine the actual sentiment they are expressing is disillusionment with the political establishment of the US and its recent actions.

The irony is that those who tend to wave the flag most vigorously are the same people who destroyed any positive connatations it might have once had.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care, it's a symbol. Symbol's mean different things to different people but by itself it means nothing.

Flag burning, in this sense, is used to infuriate people who are emotionally attached to the meaning of this symbol. To them it represents the country they love and for those who burn the flag it means the ultimate disrespect. I'm sure in this thread there have already been chest thumping patriots that want to do violent things to flag burners. In that case the flag burners have done what they've set out to do.

Let it go.