Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Gizmodo: Former Facebook Workers: We Routinely Suppressed Conservative News

gizmodo.com/former-facebook-workers-we-routinely-suppressed-conser-1775461006

- - - Updated - - -

Suppressed is a nicer way of saying 'Censored'

Lets just say it as it really is. Facebook censors Conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Oktoberfest View Post

- - - Updated - - -

There was already a thread on this. Turns out they suppressed a lot of news, right and left, that they considered nut bags.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    There was already a thread on this. Turns out they suppressed a lot of news, right and left, that they considered nut bags.
    Ironically it was Oktoberfest who started that previous thread too.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain N View Post
    Ironically it was Oktoberfest who started that previous thread too.
    I was about to post that!

he made a post, got mocked for not understanding it, and makes one a week later thinking everyone forgot how badly he fucked up understanding it?

No sir.

Deleted
    I'msure all those teenage girls on Facebook are furious.

10+ Year Old Account

- - - Updated - - -

Before I even go read the article, I'll make a guess: this was due to "conservative news" having a high proportion of bullshit stories, misrepresentations, and outright fabrications.

- - - Updated - - -

From Gizmodo's own article (the sources for which are all anonymous),
    The former curator is politically conservative, one of a very small handful of curators with such views on the trending team. “I’d come on shift and I’d discover that CPAC or Mitt Romney or Glenn Beck or popular conservative topics wouldn’t be trending because either the curator didn’t recognize the news topic or it was like they had a bias against Ted Cruz.”
    And,
    Another former curator agreed that the operation had an aversion to right-wing news sources. “It was absolutely bias. We were doing it subjectively. It just depends on who the curator is and what time of day it is,” said the former curator. “Every once in awhile a Red State or conservative news source would have a story. But we would have to go and find the same story from a more neutral outlet that wasn’t as biased.”

Stories covered by conservative outlets (like Breitbart, Washington Examiner, and Newsmax) that were trending enough to be picked up by Facebook’s algorithm were excluded unless mainstream sites like the New York Times, the BBC, and CNN covered the same stories.
    So... to briefly paraphrase: politically conservative journalists unhappy colleagues don't respect Glenn Beck, Newsmax and Red State.

/yawn
    "In today’s America, conservatives who actually want to conserve are as rare as liberals who actually want to liberate. The once-significant language of an earlier era has had the meaning sucked right out of it, the better to serve as camouflage for a kleptocratic feeding frenzy in which both establishment parties participate with equal abandon" (Taking a break from the criminal, incompetent liars at the NSA, to bring you the above political observation, from The Archdruid Report.)

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    I was about to post that!

he made a post, got mocked for not understanding it, and makes one a week later thinking everyone forgot how badly he fucked up understanding it?

No sir.
    Well, they also made a thread titled "If you ever want to see proof of the Intellectual Dishonesty in action", so perhaps all of this was an elaborate setup to ascend to new heights of irony.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

Quote Originally Posted by ringpriest View Post
    Before I even go read the article, I'll make a guess: this was due to "conservative news" having a high proportion of bullshit stories, misrepresentations, and outright fabrications.
    It doesn't really matter if they were. Facebook told us they have no editorial policy, so they shouldn't have been picking trends by hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    Well, they also made a thread titled "If you ever want to see proof of the Intellectual Dishonesty in action", so perhaps all of this was an elaborate setup to ascend to new heights of irony.
    I mean.. it's Oktoberfest. He posts a bunch of wild conspiracy theories, shitposts in random threads, then gets banned for conspiracy theories.

10+ Year Old Account
    People obtaining their news from Facebook deserve to have it censored. That place is a cesspool of misinformation.
    Eat yo vegetables

If they did, then I would like to see and example on how they censored conservatives.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    I mean.. it's Oktoberfest. He posts a bunch of wild conspiracy theories, shitposts in random threads, then gets banned for conspiracy theories.
    I know that <.< Looks like my quip went undetected :<
    Quote Originally Posted by Kangodo View Post
    Does the CIA pay you for your bullshit or are you just bootlicking in your free time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirishka View Post
    I'm quite tired of people who dislike something/disagree with something while attacking/insulting anyone that disagrees. Its as if at some point, people forgot how opinions work.

no surprise here, twitter does it as well. conservative thoughts on a majority left leaning media outlet and employees was bound to be censored

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    People obtaining their news from Facebook deserve to have it censored. That place is a cesspool of misinformation.
    Amen. I even have to get onto my wife on occasion when she says something like, "Hey look what I just saw on FB"

Quote Originally Posted by Mehrunes View Post
    I know that <.< Looks like my quip went undetected :<
    Noo it didn't, it's just.. I don't think it was, it's just how he is.

Quote Originally Posted by PRE 9-11 View Post
    Wait, Gary Coleman didn't just die? W.T.F.
    Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I am ACTUALLY ASKING for them to ban me and relieve me from the misery of this thread.

Nothing new.
    Twitter and facebook are equally trash sites that is so biased towards left that it's disgusting.
    Feminist/SJW shitholes, have no arguments so just censor opposing opinions instead.

This is a great article btw.

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/is...rticle/2590519
    Last edited by Strangebrew; 2016-05-09 at 08:37 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Aside from creating a bunch of butthurt Conservatwits, who cares? Facebook is a private organization and can promote whatever it darn well pleases. It's not against the law for private organizations not to promote or share materials from other organizations with whom they disagree. They're not a news agency and even news agencies no longer have any sort of legal or social mandate to report on issues in a non-biased fashion (thank you Fox). It doesn't violate your rights or the rights of businesses in any fashion when other businesses don't support you.

So to all I say: tough shit!
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Aside from creating a bunch of butthurt Conservatwits, who cares? Facebook is a private organization and can promote whatever it darn well pleases. It's not against the law for private organizations not to promote or share materials from other organizations with whom they disagree. They're not a news agency and even news agencies no longer have any sort of legal or social mandate to report on issues in a non-biased fashion (thank you Fox). It doesn't violate your rights or the rights of businesses in any fashion when other businesses don't support you.

So to all I say: tough shit!
    But, but...

What are we gonna do now? Taking off his turban, they said, is this man a Jew?
    'Cause they're working for the clampdown
    They put up a poster saying we earn more than you!
    When we're working for the clampdown
    We will teach our twisted speech To the young believers
    We will train our blue-eyed men To be young believers

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pangean View Post
    But, but...

I guess they need some kind of area where their views are protected and the opinions and views of others can't be shared...There's got to be some kind of space that can somehow be made safe for them to only read Breitbart and Fox News articles.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.