Page 1 of 10
... LastLast

Captain America’s ‘heterosexual virility’ lamented by Vanity Fair

I don't see the characters as that macho, and certainly Black Widow is similar to the rest.

It's from the Washington Times which isn't the most legit of news sources

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...y-lamented-by/

Vanity Fair has weighed in on the blockbuster movie “Captain America: Civil War” to lament the hero’s “heterosexual virility.”

Marvel Studios and Disney’s latest installment wowed audiences in North America to the tune of $181 million last weekend, but Vanity Fair writer Joanna Robinson left the theater disappointed. Her reason: Chris Evans’ character, super soldier Captain America, got nostalgic for his “skirt-chasing” days with best friend “Bucky” Barnes.

Robinson said directors Joe and Anthony Russo should not have said fans may “interpret the relationship [with Bucky] however they want to interpret it” since the character explicitly makes clear his attraction to women.

“As if to put the nail in the coffin of speculation, Bucky and Cap paused for a moment in the middle of snowy Siberia to reminisce about their days chasing skirts in pre-War Brooklyn,” Ms. Robinson wrote Sunday. “It’s a sweet, human bonding moment but one that also bristles with heterosexual virility. If Disney isn’t inclined to give audiences a gay superhero, couldn’t they have at least left us the dream of Bucky and Cap? … Doesn’t ‘Captain America: Civil War’ go out of its way to “define” Bucky and Steve’s relationship when Cap smooches Sharon Carter (Emily VanCamp) while Bucky looks on approvingly? Where’s the room for interpretation in that moment?”

Readers at the media curation website Twitchy said it would have been a huge mistake for Marvel Studios to tinker with the character’s sexuality.

“When [writers] alter an existing character with decades of history to make the PC crowd happy, then it’s complete garbage because it’s blatant pandering,” a reader identified as Joe said.

“If actual history is rewritten on a daily basis, why can’t fictional history be rewritten? Eventually the sheeple will believe it,” added another reader.

“Civil War,” which also stars Robert Downey Jr. as Iron Man, grossed $678 million worldwide in 12 days of release. The film is on track to become the first release of 2016 to gross $1 billion.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Deleted
    So... What point are you trying to make, exactly?

Deleted
    It's almost like I'm reading a blog entry of a disgruntled tumblrina on how her headcanon ship got sunk. Pathethic.

As if facts ever got in the way of bad fanfic. Looking at you Supernatural creepy ass incest writers. Seriously how messed up is this chick?

Quote Originally Posted by Dzudzadzo View Post
    It's almost like I'm reading a blog entry of a disgruntled tumblrina on how her headcanon ship got sunk. Pathethic.
    The lady sounds bitter that her cpt/bucky fan fic is even less plausible now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by hakujinbakasama View Post
    As if facts ever got in the way of bad fanfic. Looking at you Supernatural creepy ass incest writers. Seriously how messed up is this chick?
    I feel like this should have been posted after my comment.

Deleted
    What makes all of this even sadder is that people like the woman who was pining for a gay relationship between Cap and Bucky has never even touched a comic book in her life, and her introduction to Captain America is this series of films.

Not to say they're bad films, because they're not. It's just sad that people have opinions when they don't know what the hell they're even talking about.

Heterosexual virility - the horror.

/sigh
    /facepalm

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    What makes all of this even sadder is that people like the woman who was pining for a gay relationship between Cap and Bucky has never even touched a comic book in her life, and her introduction to Captain America is this series of films.

Not to say they're bad films, because they're not. It's just sad that people have opinions when they don't know what the hell they're even talking about.
    It wasn't apparently even this series of films but this film specifically, because she didn't watch the first one where they go out "chasing skirts."

The author is just mad, because Disney sunk her Yaoi ship.

You've just reminded me of when the first Star Trek reboot movies came out. I was browsing a forum and this gay poster said he lamented the romance Spock had with Uhura couldn't have been written as a gay relationship. I can kind of understand that you want to see your orientation represented in film, and it might even help with acceptance but I can also see that the material is written in a certain way and if you alter that, especially like changing the Trek universe, fans will get pissed.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

GODDAMN THEY'RE PLAYING THE CHARACTER TO THEIR ESTABLISHED ROLES.

Think of the horror! THE ABSOLUTE HORROR!

Christ I'm so sick of retards being offended on behalf of me and other gay people. The sane ones among us don't want established characters changed to be ridiculous amalgamations of any possible minority that can be thought of.

Fuck off, Vanity Fair.

They and people like them won't be happy until Captain America is a mentally and physically disabled Trans Dragonkin Agendered individual alongside every other established character.

I always wonder why I can watch movies where 95%+ of the characters are all straight without being triggered as a gay man. Maybe it's because I'm not pretentious enough to be unable to enjoy things unless my specific body/sexuality/race type is in the movie. But either way it's hard for me to not think of people like this as just exceptionally bitchy, selfish, and having the utmost first of first world problems.
    Last edited by KrazyK923; 2016-05-10 at 10:33 AM.

Well, he could still be bisexual?
    "In order to maintain a tolerant society, the society must be intolerant of intolerance." Paradox of tolerance

It look like she can't see different between Best Friends and lover.

15+ Year Old Account
    Soooooooooo Op-ed says something ridiculous and people are shocked and surprised.

"But you don't understand Batman, these ess jay dubyas are ruining the world by saying crazy things on the internet!"

*Nods slowly* Tell me more.
    2014 Gamergate: "If you want games without hyper sexualized female characters and representation, then learn to code!"
    2023: "What's with all these massively successful games with ugly (realistic) women? How could this have happened?!"

Seems like someone who has read/written way too many slash fictions is now also writing for a shitty magazine.
    "Oh, you know what? You could bitch about anything couldn't you?" - Leonard L. Church

15+ Year Old Account
    Lol, I can't believe these insane diary entries are actually published. She had a fantasy that two men(at least one of whom was clearly straight) were screwing each other and is now offended that they're not.

I somehow feel this is relevant:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Tc7MH5ZXbg

What's worse, my ship of Iron Cap sunk too. I am so (not) sorry.

Heaven forbid a straight character is straight. Maybe the super soldier serum distorted his thought process and now he wants to have kids with a hot female to make some super soldier children.

10+ Year Old Account
    As much that its fun to speak about this particular subject, I feel like we're giving it much more attention than it deserves.

News websites works with views and the more click they receive, the happier they get. So if someone crazy make a crazy article that gather hundreds of clicks because of the controversy, then we're "empowering" them. Simple as that.

So if we really want to shut them, we really should stop speaking about them. They don't deserve the publicity.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Dont ask dont tell, reverse edition^^

I dont mind if they change stuff from the source material (they change stuff all the time anyways), so I have 0 problems, if they want to tell the story about a gay captain america sometime.
    But THIS captain america, hasnt been gay for like 5 movies now. Why would anyone want them to cover up his sexuality. Thats no better than those people who are okay with gay people in movies, as long as noone ever mentions it and there is no sign in the movie that they are acutally gay^^. This is not one of those empty vessel twighlight characters, that is supposed to make everyone feel like they can identify with the hero. This is an actual movie.
    ...I feel like saying kids these days alot lately. I am getting old.
    "And all those exclamation marks, you notice? Five?
    A sure sign of someone who wears his underpants on his head."