Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Emma Watson named in Panama Papers database

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-a7023126.html

The Harry Potter actress’s name was found by The Spectator in a searchable database containing more details about the Panama Papers tax avoidance scandal.

The International Consortium of Investigative Journalists (ICIJ) published data on more than 200,000 entities on its website on Monday evening. The database contains information on companies, trusts and foundations and users can see networks involving the offshore companies.

Watson’s spokesperson confirmed the 26-year-old had set up an offshore company. However, the spokesperson said she does not receive any tax or monetary advantages whatsoever. Instead, the spokesperson said she uses it for privacy purposes.

“Emma (like many high profile individuals) set up an offshore company for the sole purpose of protecting her anonymity and safety,” her spokesperson said in a statement.

“UK companies are required to publicly publish details of their shareholders and therefore do not give her the necessary anonymity required to protect her personal safety, which has been jeopardised in the past owing to such information being publicly available.

“Offshore companies do not publish these shareholder details. Emma receives absolutely no tax or monetary advantages from this offshore company whatsoever – only privacy.”

Setting up an offshore company is not by itself illegal or evidence of illegal conduct. The Panama Papers were taken from law firm Mossack Fonseca, which maintains it observed rules requiring it to identify its clients.

A number of past and present world leaders were named in the first leak as having offshore holdings. The database is the largest ever trove of data about offshore companies to be made publicly available.

The database does not include anything that could compromise the privacy of individuals named such as records of bank accounts or email exchanges.

Not surprising, she's more loaded than 99.99% of users on this forums.

great thread. insert discussion here.

Also inb4 someone complains about how your OP only quotes the news article

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    This thread is going places.

- Actual reply- I'm a bit ignorant as to how taxes work in a situation like this. Is there any way to prove she is not gaining a monetary advantage by having an offshore account? I know that if I suddenly came into a large sum of money, that is exactly what I would do with it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Panama Papers: The White Knight Rises

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    What's to great about one woman being in these papers? Lots of villains are named.

Quote Originally Posted by Natureseer View Post
    great thread. insert discussion here.
    Hang on, I got dis!

Hah evil third wave feminist bitch isn't paying her taxes! She should be shot!

Now the next forum user is meant to post about how it's perfectly reasonable for celebrities to create offshore accounts to manage their funds and there is absolutely nothing untoward about the situation.

Then we circle jerk for about 20 different pages, users continuously jump in to reassert what was said on the first page and then we eventually get bored and forget the thread.

Job done.

Deleted
    But why does Emma Watson matter? Her acting career is mediocre post-potter and she doesn't come off as an important figure.

10+ Year Old Account
    Rich person uses off shore accounts! News at 11!

Quote Originally Posted by Szekely View Post
    But why does Emma Watson matter? Her acting career is mediocre post-potter and she doesn't come off as an important figure.
    She has an acting career post-potter?

There's got to be a joke in this somewhere...

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Quote Originally Posted by angrys13 View Post
    She has an acting career post-potter?

barely.

more indie films than blockbusters.

On the pecking order of fish to fry, I imagine a Hollywood celebrity would be somewhere near the bottom.

Give me the real dirt. Billionaires, politicians.

10+ Year Old Account
    Uncommon Premium
    Lol, emma watson has about 1/1000 capital vs. the 10,000 richest people on earth. While the rest of us bottom feeders making less than 500,000$ a year - She's still a drop in the bucket to real Billionairs, but yet this post was made so..

Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    Not surprising, she's more loaded than 99.99% of users on this forums.
    You misspelled 100%

Quote Originally Posted by JestersShadow View Post
    You misspelled 100%
    Wrong, I am Emma Watson.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorkuus View Post
    Are you a 14 year old rebel wearing a Che Guevara shirt?

Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    Also inb4 someone complains about how your OP only quotes the news article
    Yet OP questions other people who make similar type posts (ie. basically copying an article, offering no real insight)...

Pot and Kettle really need to catch up sometime; they got a lot in common.

Quote Originally Posted by Szekely View Post
    She's sexy AF, and that's all that matters

Quote Originally Posted by Anastacy View Post
    Yet OP questions other people who make similar type posts (ie. basically copying an article, offering no real insight)...

Pot and Kettle really need to catch up sometime; they got a lot in common.
    Like the fact that neither of them have been black since iron cookware stopped being a common thing?