Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve French View Post
    Aside from the dude calling her a milf what's wrong with the situation? Unless they have a rule about not dating co-workers, I really don't see much of a problem? All she has to do is say "no thx bud" and the situation would have ended. Why even make a big deal about it and act like something terrible has been done to her and ask for help from her boss? And Milf isn't really that terrible, it's a pretty mainstream word these days, you people clearly have little to no real life experience when it comes to dating if you think asking a woman out is a bad thing.
    what the fuck kind of office do you work in that 'milf' is a 'pretty mainstream word'

Quote Originally Posted by Luxxor View Post
    Can you please be a little more clear? We didnt hear if it was unwanted, it certainly wasnt habitual. There was no request involved. Granted this idiot needs to be fired but cmon.
    If she's reporting it to higher ups it's probably not wanted, I figured that was pretty damn obvious. There doesn't have to be any request. If someone is making sexual comments or advances and it makes another employee uncomfortable, that's sexual harassment.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Cheze View Post
    what the fuck kind of office do you work in that 'milf' is a 'pretty mainstream word'
    MILF is wildly inappropriate but really the only actionable part of the whole situation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venant View Post
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    That's a nonsense argument that ignores what words mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Nexx226 View Post
    I'm not condoning his behavior but I think outright firing the guy is a bit much. He's coming on strong for sure and she's obviously turning him down politely but sometimes people just aren't good at picking up these social cues. He probably even took delight when she said "sure as friends in work context". He went about it the wrong way for sure, but coworkers become friends/start dating all the time. He's just a jerk and she never directly told him she has no interest. If he continued the behavior after that, then for sure fire him.
    Calling someone a MILF is right over the line.
    Beta Club Brosquad

Quote Originally Posted by Deathquoi View Post
    If she's reporting it to higher ups it's probably not wanted, I figured that was pretty damn obvious.
    Wrong, given the facts at hand i didnt get that impression. She didnt want to cause a problem for the team. What ever happened to being honest with people? Chick should have said in a documented text, "Hey I'm not interested and that comment was wildly inappropriate."
    I feel bad for all those 'protesters' at the Trump rally, it's like the real life equivalent of making a 40 man raid in WoW and not having the boss spawn, thereby denying them a chance at looting.

MILF is wildly inappropriate but really the only actionable part of the whole situation.
    the objectionable part is that he has exposed the firm to fairly severe liability, and done so in a way that's easily documented and reported. The first 'advice' post makes this pretty clear

10+ Year Old Account
    My company sends out a vague message when someone is fired. Example:

"Effective immediately, Joe Blow is no longer an employee of XXX Company. Any concerns, please see me.

Regards,

CEO Man"

Wrong, given the facts at hand i didnt get that impression. She didnt want to cause a problem for the team. What ever happened to being honest with people? Chick should have said in a documented text, "Hey I'm not interested and that comment was wildly inappropriate."
    I'm sorry, how exactly does her going to her boss about it somehow indicate to you that the advances were welcome?
    Beta Club Brosquad

the objectionable part is that he has exposed the firm to fairly severe liability, and done so in a way that's easily documented and reported. The first 'advice' post makes this pretty clear
    Good luck arguing that point in court in a civil liability case. He called me MILF!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry, how exactly does her going to her boss about it somehow indicate to you that the advances were welcome?
    Im sorry, what part of my post caused you to determine it was a welcome advance? It wasnt stated either way. The woman couldnt just be honest so she reported the guy.

Good luck arguing that point in court in a civil liability case. He called me MILF!

- - - Updated - - -

Im sorry, what part of my post caused you to determine it was a welcome advance? It wasnt stated either way. The woman couldnt just be honest so she reported the guy.
    did you miss the part where he made these advances via the office project management software

10+ Year Old Account
    You just know "Can I tell you a secret?" Would have directly led into "Lol I have a boner right now, want to see? Some girls say its pretty big..."

The point is that you have to get rid of the guy before he continues this pattern of behavior... I mean, you're obviously just trying to stir shit so I should really stop wasting my time responding to you and really just coming into GenOT in general because the whole place is infested with shitstirring "devils advocates" who just enjoy making ill informed and poorly thought out arguments to get people riled up. Good stuff, bud.
    Last edited by Deathquoi; 2016-05-11 at 03:30 AM.
    Beta Club Brosquad

And in general, the reason to fire the guy isn't really that this particular female employee might sue. It's that this guy's judgment is apparently so problematic that he did this with a new hire, and probably will do it again.

This time it didn't result in a lawsuit! Maybe next time it won't either. Eventually it will.

did you miss the part where he made these advances via the office project management software
    Yes I did actually, because he didnt.

The point is that you have to get rid of the guy before he continues this pattern of behavior...
    Absolutely agreed, Sexual harassment is going to be a tough sell given the facts, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Can tell you from experience guys that are that forward (cringey) with their advances aren't just one off instances. These are the type of r/redpill lurkers that go around spamming friend invites to every attractive girl in a 20 mile radius and using the same cringe-worthy pick up lines to try and hook up. This isn't the last time this will happen, it's better to let him go before it becomes a liability.

Yes I did actually, because he didnt.
    Just hired a new biz dev person. Over the weekend, he sent some messages that were inappropriate to one of my existing employees.

He asked to take the conversation off Slack
    the founder/CEO/whatever has seen documentation of the texts because they exist in the office software, not because he has access to the guy's phone or something

From the sound of it she went to her boss because his behavior concerned her as it exposes her company to liability that her boss should be aware of. Her reporting it was 100% the correct thing to do and firing his ass is also 100% the correct thing to do as he has demonstrated grossly inappropriate and unprofessional behavior.

It does not sound like she is looking to complain or setting up a law suit, it sounds like she is being a responsible employee and looking out for the best interests of her company.

Quote Originally Posted by Dugraka View Post
    Can tell you from experience guys that are that forward (cringey) with their advances aren't just one off instances. These are the type of r/redpill lurkers that go around spamming friend invites to every attractive girl in a 20 mile radius and using the same cringe-worthy pick up lines to try and hook up. This isn't the last time this will happen, it's better to let him go before it becomes a liability.
    Dude probably has a folder of Match.com profiles printed out and brings it to work in a manilla folder.

- - - Updated - - -

the founder/CEO/whatever has seen documentation of the texts because they exist in the office software, not because he has access to the guy's phone or something
    Wrong, the guy switched to an unofficial channel and she showed him her phone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Dude probably has a folder of Match.com profiles printed out and brings it to work in a manilla folder.
    Wouldn't surprise me. *some* Dudes are creeps. Be a creep in your off time with strangers, don't be a creep with your coworkers.

edit: "some" before people sperg out
    Last edited by Dug; 2016-05-11 at 03:37 AM.

seriously the first advice post quoted in the OP has this exactly right

anybody who thinks otherwise is probably a fresh grad working in an admin pool or something

this kind of thing is not remotely acceptable