Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    Well Its drilling a hole with liquid who cares?. You act like a drama queen.
    Except it's not. It's drilling a hole with a drill. Then using pressurized liquid to create a network of cracks in the shale. Do even 30 seconds of googling please.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiase View Post
    So the guy is more interested in the short term, the money he gets instead of the well being of the planet.
    Humanity and its greed. Nothing new.
    You see all that plastic they are dumping in the ocean in 3rd world countries?. Of course you don't. I consider that a person that only has 1 foot in, when you don't condemn Haiti for their littering in the ocean, or Nigeria for their open raw sewage canals.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    They drill the wellbore first, insert a metal casing into the well bore and cement it in place. They then load up these "sleds" with shaped/directional explosives and detonate them inside the wellbore to perforate the casing and to create the starts for the cracks that are then expanded with water pressure in the actual hydraulic fracturing phase. The whole length of the wellbore that lies within the shale formation is perforated every 5-15 cm in multiple directions section by section. When the perforation "gun" is removed from the well they will pump the fracturing fluid into the wellbore at huge pressures so that the cracks created by the perforation charges will expand due to the pressure. The proppants (usually sand or small glass/ceramic beads) get into the cracks that were expanded by the water pressure and will hold the cracks open once the water pressure in the wellbore goes down. The majority of the tracking fluid is not recovered in the flowback phase of the operation.

Most of methane/oil leaks are not due to the cracks going up to the ground water layer, but due to faulty seals in the piping close to the surface. Gas wells opened with hydraulic fracturing techniques also lose some 3% of the life time production of gas of the well in the flowback phase, compared to wells opened with conventional drilling that lose only about 0,01% of the lifetime production in the opening phase.
    Yeah just what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Excuse me?
    Water jets with abrasives.

You see all that plastic they are dumping in the ocean in 3rd world countries?. Of course you don't. I consider that a person that only has 1 foot in, when you don't condemn Haiti for their littering in the ocean, or Nigeria for their open raw sewage canals.
    I don't understand this. Seems like you're being intentionally dumb.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah just what I said.
    No it wasn't what you said. You demonstrated complete ignorance of the topic in like 5 different posts.

7+ Year Old Account
    They are drilling a hole, not making a crack. Its drilling a hole with liquid instead of steel. How in the world would high pressure liquid make a crack in the fucking earth? Tell me oh man of science how can a stream of water create a crack?.
    They drill a deep vertical hole, case it, drill a horizontal hole from the bottom of that (yes directional drilling is a thing). They inject high pressure water/sand/detergent mix into the hole (9000psi). Water doesn't compress so it opens the cracks in the rock, the sand/ceramic keeps the cracks open. That's fracking explaination as bare as it gets.