Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Taeldorian View Post
    Paladins as a melee class? When did they ever say our entire class was "melee"? I've never heard of that.

Tbh, I'm not even sure I'd want holy to be melee. That's way too many melee in the game compared to range and raid groups already limit the amount of melee in a group. Why the hell would you ever take a melee healer over any of the ranged? I doubt it would fit into any good raiding comp. Healing from having to sit in melee is tedious and annoying, honestly if people need/want more dps in their comp while keeping up good heals they'll just take disc. I see a lot more problems from this battle healer thing than I do anything beneficial. After trying it out I can tell you I don't want it to come back unless it's completely 100% different, I'd also rather it be a choice.

No idea why so many people are hung up on this battle healer shit. It's gone, it's not coming back this expansion and what we have right now is a really good iteration of our spec. It's less bland than WoD and more fluid. It surprises me that some of you guys don't seem to even care about that because all you want is "battle healer" even though it didn't work out, made the spec feel clunky and gave us major problems in raids. Not only that but it limited our chance of getting picked for raids (either by guilds or pugs depending on what you do) due to the amount of melee already in the game and the addition of havoc and our spec if it were melee. You guys should really start focusing on what we actually have rather than complain about this ridiculous battle healer fantasy that clearly didn't work out for many many reasons.
    Use some imagination, man. Give me one good reason why the current disc playstyle of marking a bunch of people for damage to splash to as heals wouldn't work for a melee Paladin. "People don't want melee" isn't a reason any more than it already is in the game - why take a warrior, or a retlol, or any other melee class when you can just stack one more huntard? Obviously, we aren't going to get it. But it was an option in the alpha that didn't work out, and people are just as entitled to discuss it (and be bummed out that it was removed rather than improved) as they are any other topic relevant to the class.

Yeah, yeah. Holy as it is is currently great. Fine, rejoice. I'm happy about that. But that's why there's so little discussion on it. This is MMO-Champion, who comes here to do anything other than bitch and moan and cry about what Blizz won't give them?

Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    Use some imagination, man. Give me one good reason why the current disc playstyle of marking a bunch of people for damage to splash to as heals wouldn't work for a melee Paladin. "People don't want melee" isn't a reason any more than it already is in the game - why take a warrior, or a retlol, or any other melee class when you can just stack one more huntard? Obviously, we aren't going to get it. But it was an option in the alpha that didn't work out, and people are just as entitled to discuss it (and be bummed out that it was removed rather than improved) as they are any other topic relevant to the class.

Yeah, yeah. Holy as it is is currently great. Fine, rejoice. I'm happy about that. But that's why there's so little discussion on it. This is MMO-Champion, who comes here to do anything other than bitch and moan and cry about what Blizz won't give them?
    That last part is ridiculous dude. No point of bitching and moaning about something that made the spec absolute trash. What you seem to be misunderstanding is that I'm not saying I wouldn't want to see it in the game, I'm saying the way they implemented it was so fucking bad it left such a bad taste in my mouth I hardly even want to hear the words "battle healer" pertaining to holy paladin anymore. The fact people here say it was "great" (Thundering seems to think it was fantastic even though he doesn't have alpha. Others too) means nobody actually tried it and are just bitching for no reason. It's an absolute fact, not an opinion, that the battle healer playstyle they implemented for holy was garbage. It left us in a terrible spot. The only time it actually shined was during leveling. That's it. That's not nearly enough to keep it in the game, not even close.

Why bring a warrior or a ret? Because they have tools that help in certain situations. Same with every other ranged/melee. Having too many ranged means you can't handle mechanics aimed at melee (adds on Kilrog or adds on gorefiend) and the raid won't go well. Works the other way around as well except for the fact that there are more ranged mechanics than melee so every single raid will limit the amount of melee in it due to that alone.

Also, why wouldn't that disc playstyle work for holy? Because that would homogenize both specs making disc similar to holy paladin with the only difference being we're melee and they aren't. That's also a good reason to choose a disc over a holy paladin. That's one reason over the few others I can think of.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2016-05-26 at 06:21 PM.

Deleted
    That last part is ridiculous dude. No point of bitching and moaning about something that made the spec absolute trash. What you seem to be misunderstanding is that I'm not saying I wouldn't want to see it in the game, I'm saying the way they implemented it was so fucking bad it left such a bad taste in my mouth I hardly even want to hear the words "battle healer" pertaining to holy paladin anymore. The fact people here say it was "great" (Thundering seems to think it was fantastic even though he doesn't have alpha. Others too) means nobody actually tried it and are just bitching for no reason. It's an absolute fact, not an opinion, that the battle healer playstyle they implemented for holy was garbage. It left us in a terrible spot. The only time it actually shined was during leveling. That's it. That's not nearly enough to keep it in the game, not even close.

Why bring a warrior or a ret? Because they have tools that help in certain situations. Same with every other ranged/melee. Having too many ranged means you can't handle mechanics aimed at melee (adds on Kilrog or adds on gorefiend) and the raid won't go well. Works the other way around as well except for the fact that there are more ranged mechanics than melee so every single raid will limit the amount of melee in it due to that alone.

Also, why wouldn't that disc playstyle work for holy? Because that would homogenize both specs making disc similar to holy paladin with the only difference being we're melee and they aren't. That's also a good reason to choose a disc over a holy paladin. That's one reason over the few others I can think of.
    You know what? really, we're agreeing but with different levels of enthusiasm here, lol.

I respect that you don't like the idea of healing from melee and I agree that doing so should be an option - I really just wish they'd made it work rather than flat out removing it...

I always felt like holy paladins should have been similar to fist weavers. Healing while doing melee damage. Otherwise they just feel like holy priests in plate to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    You know what? really, we're agreeing but with different levels of enthusiasm here, lol.

I respect that you don't like the idea of healing from melee and I agree that doing so should be an option - I really just wish they'd made it work rather than flat out removing it...
    Yeah, seems like we're definitely on the same page here.

I definitely dislike the idea, but I wouldn't mind it being in the game for those who do want it. Blizzard said they wanted to give everyone a choice so I'd be okay if they let us pick melee healing or ranged healing. Either way, I hope they don't touch it again until they're actually ready.

@Taeldorian just a small one i never said that the melee healing offered in the legion alpha was good or amazing, i stated all the time they need to more devolpment ot fix it.(I just pointed at games that succeded in doing it so its not impossible 2 do)
    We already got a holy ranged healer called the holy priest, i want more diversity in the game and paladins are a melee class thats why they got the big 2handed maces and plate armor.
    Lorevise paladins are a melee class we cover behind people, we stand in the enemys face and fight them as honorable knights, couse thats what we are not clerics nor priests.

Not to mention how boring it is to play hoyl paladin right now since most of our tools are bland and not super handy beside a few good ones. And we are doing so much passive healing its really boring, no amazing cds and so on, the hoyl paladin is like a boring priest as it is now.
    Last edited by Thundering; 2016-05-26 at 07:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    @Taeldorian just a small one i never said that the melee healing offered in the legion alpha was good or amazing, i stated all the time they need to more devolpment ot fix it.(I just pointed at games that succeded in doing it so its not impossible 2 do)
    We already got a holy ranged healer called the holy priest, i want more diversity in the game and paladins are a melee class thats why they got the big 2handed maces and plate armor.
    Lorevise paladins are a melee class we cover behind people, we stand in the enemys face and fight them as honorable knights, couse thats what we are not clerics nor priests.

Not to mention how boring it is to play hoyl paladin right now since most of our tools are bland and not super handy beside a few good ones. And we are doing so much passive healing its really boring, no amazing cds and so on, the hoyl paladin is like a boring priest as it is now.
    You told me you didn't have beta, first. Second, you're completely wrong. I'm not going to argue with you because I already have before and you refuse to listen to any facts that I give you showing how much holy has improved. You're hung up on the battle healer fantasy and that's all you want, you think what we have now is bland? How come everyone in the beta forums loves it? Go read the forums, every single person points out that our mobility is poor but practically everything else is great. Some spells could use some tuning and that's it. If you personally dislike how holy paladin plays then go to a different class? A lot of people really like it myself included.

I'm not gonna argue with you for the 5th time or try to convince you what we have now is great since every time I have you refuse to listen because all you want is a battle healer. Maybe if you actually tried the spec you'd probably like it. The only bland spells we have are holy light and flash of light which haven't changed for a very long time. Either way, when you're done freaking out about this battle healer fantasy let me know so we can actually talk about our spec logically.

You told me you didn't have beta, first. Second, you're completely wrong. I'm not going to argue with you because I already have before and you refuse to listen to any facts that I give you showing how much holy has improved. You're hung up on the battle healer fantasy and that's all you want, you think what we have now is bland? How come everyone in the beta forums loves it? Go read the forums, every single person points out that our mobility is poor but practically everything else is great. Some spells could use some tuning and that's it. If you personally dislike how holy paladin plays then go to a different class? A lot of people really like it myself included.

I'm not gonna argue with you for the 5th time or try to convince you what we have now is great since every time I have you refuse to listen because all you want is a battle healer. Maybe if you actually tried the spec you'd probably like it. The only bland spells we have are holy light and flash of light which haven't changed for a very long time. Either way, when you're done freaking out about this battle healer fantasy let me know so we can actually talk about our spec logically.
    Here is one psoter who does not love it and have concerns....... http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17610621359#1 "--My main concerns are the following:--
    -Mobility: Holy paladins are back to having the worst mobility in-game, with the only thing given to "
    1 more unhappy camper http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17610901796#1 "I dont like the mastery though. I feel like its going to be extremely stressful and not efficient healing as a holy paladin, when we are made to stand under the boss because of the mastery, "

I am gonna stop talking to you now since all you do is spout your own subject "truths" and never have any form of proof of your statements.

The only bland paladin spells we have is flash of light and holy light?? Just so u these is our main healing spells in most ocations... Since you dident know that holy shock and judgment where 2 ranged abilites to create holy power i very much doubt how well you know paladins. Well thats that i will also stop posting 2 you for now.

I hold no delusion that there will be melee healing in Legion, but if you want to talk about diversity in classes/specs, wouldn't it be more diverse to have the following setup?

Pure Healer:
    Holy Priest (ranged)
    Shaman (ranged)
    Druid (ranged)

Damage Healer:
    Disc Priest (ranged)
    Paladin (melee)
    Monk (melee)

Instead of

Pure Healer:
    Holy Priest (ranged)
    Shaman (ranged)
    Druid (ranged)
    Paladin (ranged)
    Monk (ranged)

Damage Healer:
    Disc Priest (ranged)

And, you keep talking about the difficulties of being Melee, and why would a raid want to bring a Melee healer when they can just stack more Ranged.

Well, if they designed a Paladin spec to be a truly effective short range (mastery) area healer, it would make sense to have a melee healer right on top of your melee because they could be designed to do a better job than a ranged healer could.

This could lead to it being just as desirable to bring Melee dps to a fight as it is to bring Ranged.

Don't look at it as another problem, look at it as a possible solution.
    Last edited by Sungamnori; 2016-05-26 at 11:18 PM.

Paladins as a melee class? When did they ever say our entire class was "melee"? I've never heard of that.
    From the Legion class preview straight off the website:

But while Holy Paladins possess the heavy armor and strong defensive ability themes, in practice they spend most of their time behind the frontlines with the more fragile healers. In addition to shoring up the identities of Protection and Retribution Paladins, we’re adjusting Holy Paladin gameplay to bring them closer to the front, where they belong.
    Take what you will from "closer to the front", but I'm pretty sure they were implying a paladin's identity is not to stand "behind" with the other healers. The only other place to be is close to the melee and tanks. Standing close to the enemy ties in with the identity of being an armoured holy warrior in the thick of battle.

The class fantasy they described is exactly what I've wanted it to be since the beginning. If they do manage to successfully allow Paladins to go "battle healer", I will probably never play another class or specialization. It perfectly matches my favourite playstyle.

Your preference to the normal holy identity and mode of play is the reason I would want to see talents or other ways to opt for a melee playstyle as a personal choice. I desperately want it, but I know there are plenty that don't. They obviously went along this train of thought with Crusader's Might. It's a talent that allows crusader strike to assist the healing rotation, so you can opt in for the melee style if you want but it is by no means forced.

I haven't tried it, but I don't see how or why proximity-based healing changes paladins in the way they described. It does not bring paladins closer "to the front", but only closer to who they have to heal... which is different people at different times all standing in totally different places. All I can imagine is paladins running around like crazy, ignoring the mastery and losing out on potential healing while healing ranged, or coordinating with a healing team to heal only the melee.

My idea of "melee healer" is not "only healing melee". It's just standing in melee while still continuously healing anyone in the raid that needs it. The current mastery actually leaves paladin at a disadvantage if they want to heal a ranged party member while standing in melee.
    Last edited by Rathael; 2016-05-26 at 11:43 PM.

@Thundering You have absolutely no clue what your talking about. 2 posters out of how many? And one of the ones you linked was complaining about mobility which is what I stated was one of our remaining issues so you obviously don't read what I post but choose to respond anyway. Well whatever, you don't have beta access so you can't spout your nonsense meaning I don't have to worry about it.
    Last edited by Taeldorian; 2016-05-26 at 11:48 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sungamnori View Post
    I hold no delusion that there will be melee healing in Legion, but if you want to talk about diversity in classes/specs, wouldn't it be more diverse to have the following setup?

Pure Healer:
    Holy Priest (ranged)
    Shaman (ranged)
    Druid (ranged)

Damage Healer:
    Disc Priest (ranged)
    Paladin (melee)
    Monk (melee)

Instead of

Pure Healer:
    Holy Priest (ranged)
    Shaman (ranged)
    Druid (ranged)
    Paladin (ranged)
    Monk (ranged)

Damage Healer:
    Disc Priest (ranged)

And, you keep talking about the difficulties of being Melee, and why would a raid want to bring a Melee healer when they can just stack more Ranged.

Well, if they designed a Paladin spec to be a truly effective short range (mastery) area healer, it would make sense to have a melee healer right on top of your melee because they could be designed to do a better job than a ranged healer could.

This could lead to it being just as desirable to bring Melee dps to a fight as it is to bring Ranged.

No upset, but your LFR view is so bad its not even funny. If Monks and H Paladins were designed as melee healers that heal via dps both specs would be competitively dead before the first raid tier. Disc Priest works (sortoff) because the Holy Priest alternate exists if blizzard messes up tuning, because they are ranged and because having a partial healer in a raid isn't unheard of, having multiple partial healers is just retarded.

The Class Preview is bullshit. Many class previews are bullshits, that devs simply line up the preview with their wanted changes. They wanted Illuminated Healing to be gone and a distance healing based mastery was the easy solution. They never said they want you to do damage in melee.

I'll say it again. Holy Paladins were never healing by doing melee damage, in legion or otherwise.It just doesn't work. Play rets and be awful as 1 dps out of multiple instead of the one/few healers.

Quote Originally Posted by Sungamnori View Post

Pure Healer:
    Holy Priest (ranged)
    Shaman (ranged)
    Druid (ranged)

Damage Healer:
    Disc Priest (ranged)
    Paladin (melee)
    Monk (melee)

Instead of

Pure Healer:
    Holy Priest (ranged)
    Shaman (ranged)
    Druid (ranged)
    Paladin (ranged)
    Monk (ranged)

Damage Healer:
    Disc Priest (ranged)

+1, I cant agree more.

What alot people seems to have problem whit is how it was implemnted in legion since the way blizzard did it was horrible they never changed fixed it or nothing, they just instant gave up.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Rathael View Post
    From the Legion class preview straight off the website:

Take what you will from "closer to the front", but I'm pretty sure they were implying a paladin's identity is not to stand "behind" with the other healers. The only other place to be is close to the melee and tanks. Standing close to the enemy ties in with the identity of being an armoured holy warrior in the thick of battle.

The class fantasy they described is exactly what I've wanted it to be since the beginning. If they do manage to successfully allow Paladins to go "battle healer", I will probably never play another class or specialization. It perfectly matches my favourite playstyle.

Your preference to the normal holy identity and mode of play is the reason I would want to see talents or other ways to opt for a melee playstyle as a personal choice. I desperately want it, but I know there are plenty that don't. They obviously went along this train of thought with Crusader's Might. It's a talent that allows crusader strike to assist the healing rotation, so you can opt in for the melee style if you want but it is by no means forced.

I haven't tried it, but I don't see how or why proximity-based healing changes paladins in the way they described. It does not bring paladins closer "to the front", but only closer to who they have to heal... which is different people at different times all standing in totally different places. All I can imagine is paladins running around like crazy, ignoring the mastery and losing out on potential healing while healing ranged, or coordinating with a healing team to heal only the melee.

My idea of "melee healer" is not "only healing melee". It's just standing in melee while still continuously healing anyone in the raid that needs it. The current mastery actually leaves paladin at a disadvantage if they want to heal a ranged party member while standing in melee.
    I think the issue is that people want to be 'Melee healers', but never have Holy Paladin ever been a 'Melee fighting'/'Do damage' to heal class. We've had great options, for when there was downtime to do Damage. Also our abilities have had options to do both Damage or heal (And even both).

However I do see Holy Paladins as 'Frontline Healer', but not in a way where we have to do damage to heal, or where it is an option for someone who wants that Playstyle. In addition, and this might be a shocker. But healers, Heal. Extra damage is great from a healer, maybe essential in a certain fight. This whole doing damage to heal, is a weird topic to me. If you want to damage, go dps?

Holy Paladins are noble heroes of the light, willing to sacrifice themselves in order for their allies to survive. They stand for justice, and are not violent of nature.

"Like priests who serve the Light, holy paladins are devout in their faith. After spending much of their lives in hallowed halls studying divine doctrine, those who pledge themselves to a holy order become beacons of the Light for their allies in conflict, taking up the heavy armor and weaponry of justice. Holding the unwavering belief that any battle waged to eradicate evil in the world is righteous, these paladins stands on the frontlines in service to all others dedicated to the cause. The truth and virtue of the Light imbues these sacred knights with the power to revitalize their comrades. If necessary, they even lay down their own lives to serve as martyr for the greater good."

What I am missing from this discussion is a good reason as to why Holy Paladin need to have this 'Melee Healer' Playstyle. It doesn't fit with my fantasy, but that is just my opinion. Holy Paladin chose the Light Path, if they wanted to do damage, they would have been Retribution Paladins.

I see Holy Paladin as a form of 'Field Medic', with a shield in hand, taking hits as they utilize they holy powers to aid allies. Whether that is with healing or various blessings that great mobility or protection. I agree that I do not feel at home by all the Cloth healers, I have heavy armor I should be a frontier.

Then again, if I had abilities to protect my fellow ranged healers, I would feel more at home with the vulnerable ranged damage dealers and healers.

I do not disagree with your opinion, actually I quite agree that we need to close to the Melee and Tanks, however I do not think that extra damaging options should be added, cause it does not fit the Holy concept.

Thundering, you were quoting "Talents will also provide players with options to incorporate offensive capabilities while healing. When allies are in need"

However I think you're removing the contexts of this sentence by removing what comes after. Full quote:

"Talents will also provide players with options to incorporate offensive capabilities while healing. When allies are in need, Light of the Martyr allows the Holy Paladin to rapidly heal them by sacrificing personal health. Finally, we’re addressing gameplay restrictions caused by Holy Power—in which players often feel forced to use abilities in specific orders or ratios—by removing it in favor of making Mana the primary resource."

These "offensive Capabilities' were never specified as being 'Damage Dealing Abilities', how ever the example given was 'Light of the Martyr' which in the nature they stated, was a quite offensive healing spell, in my opinion.

The main focus of the blog post was bringing Holy Paladin closer to the front line, not weaving in damage with healing. No where in the core ability previous was damage present, except for the Holy Shock, which remains as we know it. We can all go on and twisting Blizzards words about how we want Holy Paladins to work, or Play. But this does not help with a healthy debate.

However there is no denying that where we currently are, is not the fantasy we want. We need to closer to combat or have some more function as a Plate healer, on the back line.

Honestly what bugs me the most, is loosing my shield. And maybe a quite unpopular opinion is that we're loosing Holy Power. Holy power just made sense to me. However the current state didn't offer much depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladya View Post
    No upset, but your LFR view is so bad its not even funny. If Monks and H Paladins were designed as melee healers that heal via dps both specs would be competitively dead before the first raid tier. Disc Priest works (sortoff) because the Holy Priest alternate exists if blizzard messes up tuning, because they are ranged and because having a partial healer in a raid isn't unheard of, having multiple partial healers is just retarded.

The Class Preview is bullshit. Many class previews are bullshits, that devs simply line up the preview with their wanted changes. They wanted Illuminated Healing to be gone and a distance healing based mastery was the easy solution. They never said they want you to do damage in melee.

I'll say it again. Holy Paladins were never healing by doing melee damage, in legion or otherwise.It just doesn't work. Play rets and be awful as 1 dps out of multiple instead of the one/few healers.

Agreed. The Class Preview, was their thought going into development of Legion, not factual.
    Last edited by mmoc0d9629d667; 2016-05-28 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Fixing wordings.

Quote Originally Posted by Storkz View Post
    I think the issue is that people want to be 'Melee healers', but never have Holy Paladin ever been a 'Melee fighting'/'Do damage' to heal class. We've had great options, for when there was downtime to do Damage. Also our abilities have had options to do both Damage or heal (And even both).

However I do see Holy Paladins as 'Frontline Healer', but not in a way where we have to do damage to heal, or where it is an option for someone who wants that Playstyle. In addition, and this might be a shocker. But healers, Heal. Extra damage is great from a healer, maybe essential in a certain fight. This whole doing damage to heal, is a weird topic to me. If you want to damage, go dps?

Holy Paladins are noble heroes of the light, willing to sacrifice themselves in order for their allies to survive. They stand for justice, and are not violent of nature.

"Like priests who serve the Light, holy paladins are devout in their faith. After spending much of their lives in hallowed halls studying divine doctrine, those who pledge themselves to a holy order become beacons of the Light for their allies in conflict, taking up the heavy armor and weaponry of justice. Holding the unwavering belief that any battle waged to eradicate evil in the world is righteous, these paladins stands on the frontlines in service to all others dedicated to the cause. The truth and virtue of the Light imbues these sacred knights with the power to revitalize their comrades. If necessary, they even lay down their own lives to serve as martyr for the greater good."

What I am missing from this discussion is a good reason as to why Holy Paladin need to have this 'Melee Healer' Playstyle. It doesn't fit with my fantasy, but that is just my opinion. Holy Paladin chose the Light Path, if they wanted to do damage, they would have been Retribution Paladins.

I see Holy Paladin as a form of 'Field Medic', with a shield in hand, taking hits as they utilize they holy powers to aid allies. Whether that is with healing or various blessings that great mobility or protection. I agree that I do not feel at home by all the Cloth healers, I have heavy armor I should be a frontier.

Then again, if I had abilities to protect my fellow ranged healers, I would feel more at home with the vulnerable ranged damage dealers and healers.

I do not disagree with your opinion, actually I quite agree that we need to close to the Melee and Tanks, however I do not think that extra damaging options should be added, cause it does not fit the Holy concept.

Thundering, you were quoting "Talents will also provide players with options to incorporate offensive capabilities while healing. When allies are in need"

However I think you're removing the contexts of this sentence by removing what comes after. Full quote:

"Talents will also provide players with options to incorporate offensive capabilities while healing. When allies are in need, Light of the Martyr allows the Holy Paladin to rapidly heal them by sacrificing personal health. Finally, we’re addressing gameplay restrictions caused by Holy Power—in which players often feel forced to use abilities in specific orders or ratios—by removing it in favor of making Mana the primary resource."

These "offensive Capabilities' were never specified as being 'Damage Dealing Abilities', how ever the example given was 'Light of the Martyr' which in the nature they stated, was a quite offensive healing spell, in my opinion.

The main focus of the blog post was bringing Holy Paladin closer to the front line, not weaving in damage with healing. No where in the core ability previous was damage present, except for the Holy Shock, which remains as we know it. We can all go on and twisting Blizzards words about how we want Holy Paladins to work, or Play. But this does not help with a healthy debate.

However there is no denying that where we currently are, is not the fantasy we want. We need to closer to combat or have some more function as a Plate healer, on the back line.

Honestly what bugs me the most, is loosing my shield. And maybe a quite unpopular opinion is that we're loosing Holy Power. Holy power just made sense to me. However the current state didn't offer much depth.

Agreed. The Class Preview, was their thought going into development of Legion, not factual.
    As "warriors of the Holy Light", paladins uphold all that is good and true in the world and revile all that is evil and sinister — especially undead and the Burning Legion. They offer assistance to the beleaguered and smite their enemies with holy fervor. Found in almost every corner of Azeroth fighting the forces of evil and barbarism, these stalwart warriors of faith ceaselessly uphold their vigil against demonic forces. Paladins are the embodiment of good and selfless dedication to the protection of their peoples. They help the innocent and punish the wicked. There are however, also misguided paladins such as those in the Scarlet Crusade that end up doing evil in spite of their claims to follow the Light.[4]

Same site as your quote

wowhead
    The paladin is a mix of a melee fighter and a secondary spell caster. The paladin has a great deal of group utility due to the paladin's healing, blessings, and other abilities. Paladins can have one active aura per paladin on each party member and use specific blessings for specific players. Paladins are pretty hard to kill, thanks to their assortment of defensive abilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thundering View Post
    For me it makes sence fluffwise, couse a paladin is a cleric that studied the ways of a warrior to become a stronger fighter to protect his companions lorevise i take it most of them are proud and honorable warriors, holy priests, clerics and so on(offcourse there are more typses of compains but you know 2 much). A paladin when standing on the front taking hits doing damage seeing his allies getting hurt and doing their best to purge that is evil. Evry hit fuels your fellings and makes you stronger(warriors) aswell hits is something you truly feel so you get a highers sence of what the evil you are fighting and holy power needed to fend it off. As a warrior fellings fuel their power and whit the clerical knowlagde of the holy light a retribution paladin use this fuel to "hit harder do more damage whit his offensive spells(short into retri palas)" while a holy paladins use these felling to fuel himself and their companions(blessing & hands, heals, divine shield), and a protection paladin uses the fuel to bring up his defences, protecting allies and keep himself alive. As long the fight isent just the paladin losses his faith why he fights and the light thats being channeled true his conviction gets dulled, thats why the light abandoned Arthas.

Some short fluff on how i think around paladins.

I played shaman and holy priest & disc priests as a healer i know disc is currently stronger but i think holy is more fun so i play it.
    Well one way to easly fix that is to have a talent that makes the light of dawn into the wod one as a example.

Sorry to bring this thread up again, but after quitting WoW in Cataclysm I am now looking forward to Legion, and as a Holy Paladin main I am now pretty confused about our class design. I understand the changes to our mastery, having the lore in mind. What I don't understand is how we are supposed to use Beacon of Light with the Beacon of the Lightbringer talent. If I am standing in melee range, am I still supposed to BoL the tank? Or a ranged class in another camp? Is BoLightbringer not supposed to enable me to stand in the ranged camp so that our mastery is active in two camps (with BoL on the tank, melee and ranged camp)?

The Patient
    7+ Year Old Account
    Yes.

It seems fairly straightforward to me. Without Blessing of the Lightbringer, you'd probably want to stand in melee to allow you higher heals on those taking the most damage.

Blessing of the Lightbringer gives you some flexibility. Stand in melee and enjoy the new play style, while still getting mastery buffed heals on a group of ranged, or alternatively, stand in ranged and cast it on the tank to keep the old play style.

Quote Originally Posted by Rothg View Post
    Blessing of the Lightbringer gives you some flexibility. Stand in melee and enjoy the new play style, while still getting mastery buffed heals on a group of ranged, or alternatively, stand in ranged and cast it on the tank to keep the old play style.
    You know what, the thought that Blizzard might be offering two types of play style with this talent didn't even cross my mind. Thanks for your answer!

I am leaning towards the ranged play style.

Another quick question in this regard: Is Beacon of Virtue then the go-to-talent in mythic+ dungeons?

Deleted
    I'm sorry if I missed something but isn't the holy paladin in the pre patch already some sort of battle healer? The mastery and the filler dps melee spell already point towards that playstyle.

I know mistweavers do play like that as well and I don't see the issue with it, we have far too many ranged healers and I think its just boring, I much rather prefer this archetype of battle healer whatever some might think. Otherwise what is the difference between a paladin and a priest besides some utility spells?

15+ Year Old Account
    The melee healer thing didnt even made it past the alpha and blizz themselves said that in the end they couldn't make it work so they had to scrap it. Its already been said numerous times in this thread,no idea why ppl still ask if battle healer is a thing.