Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Makaran View Post
    Are atheists also not allowed because not displaying any religious symbol IS displaying a religious symbol?
    Lack of display is not evidence of display.

Atheism is not a religion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Are atheists also not allowed because not displaying any religious symbol IS displaying a religious symbol?
    Well if you showed up in a full Church of Bacon ceremonial outfit there would be issues.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Quetzl View Post
    Atheism is not a religion.
    So is being a jedi considered a religion, then?

10+ Year Old Account
    Wat

If someone can actually use the force, and it can be verified through science, then no. The same goes for other behavioral traits.

Deleted
    Wat

If someone can actually use the force, and it can be verified through science, then no.
    Why not? lol

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tennisace View Post
    Wrong. Go read the Federalist Papers and get back to me.
    Where in the federalist papers is this? Which number and which author.

I'll wait. . . . . . . .

10+ Year Old Account
    Why not? lol
    Because religious opinion by definition falls outside the realm of observable, verifiable phenomena.

Deleted
    Because religious opinion by definition falls outside the realm of observable, verifiable phenomena.
    But jedi believe that the Force is an intelligent entity that has a will of its own even if the jedi are allowed to borrow its power for their own gain. Thus their use of the Force is real, but they also believe the Force is similar to a god, which can't be verified by science.

10+ Year Old Account
    But jedi believe that the Force is an intelligent entity that has a will of its own even if the jedi are allowed to borrow its power for their own gain. Thus their use of the Force is real, but they also believe the Force is similar to a god, which can't be verified by science.
    If they have beliefs that cannot be verified, then they are spiritual. if they are organized, they are religious.

This is a stupid conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by Naxere View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ear-her-hijab/

This just strikes me as someone trying to claim "discrimination!" when the school clearly has a dress code in place for all students, not just Muslims.
    there is a uniform. it is called a uniform for a reason. uniformity.
    There is no Bad RNG just Bad LTP

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't see any issue with the military school setting its dress code for all attendees, particularly when there may be practical reasons for that dress code.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

http://www.stripes.com/news/us/the-c...hijab-1.408942

O'h the IRONY

"A complete denial was very shocking," he said. They had expected their request to be granted. "The father said, 'We live in a land of laws. These outdated traditions violate that law' " that protects religious freedom, Hooper said.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ParanoiD84 View Post
    Christian cadets have been told not to display crosses, for example.
    Then everyone is treated equally. No religious symbols of any kind permitted. I wish more places were like this.

The military actually allows you to display Jedi as your religion on dog tags. Reason being the federal government puts no restriction on what a person sees or claims as a religion. There-for the military doesn't restrict claiming Jedi as a religion.

My brother requested that the religion on his dogtags be Jedi. They allowed it.

“There are Muslim women wearing hijab in our nation’s military,” he said. “ … Whether it’s hijab or beards or turbans, to cling to these outdated ‘traditions’ merely out of a sense of not wanting to change anything is, I think, untenable in this day and age and in our increasingly diverse society.”
    I'm shocked that the CAIR grifter went to the, "it's the current year" year argument

7+ Year Old Account
    Not allowing her goes against everything America stands for.

Really sad!
    Bullshit. If I join the military I don't get to claim "My religion restricts killing!"

Really sad!
    Oy vey. Think first, then post.

The Unstoppable Force Ghostpanther's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account

Really sad!
    You are not allowed to wear a beard in the US Army ether. Does that go against freedom of choice? When you are in the military you lose some parts of our rights. Such as freedom of speech to the extent you can not speak publicly bad about your Commander in Chief. The President of the US. :P Which is why you now see several retired generals speaking against Obama. They could not when they were active.

The Citadel in this case has the right to deny her request. She does not like it, she can pick a different school to attend.

Like you said it seems consistent with the dress code. Given the other requirements I'm willing to bet hats and other head coverings are off limits.

Quote Originally Posted by McFuu View Post
    The military actually allows you to display Jedi as your religion on dog tags. Reason being the federal government puts no restriction on what a person sees or claims as a religion. There-for the military doesn't restrict claiming Jedi as a religion.
    I guess the pastafarians getting their ID photos in religious garb set the precedent. They can't say "that's not a real religion!" because then they'd have to go through the mess of deciding which religions are "authentic." I'm sure there's at least one non-sarcastic Jedi out there.
    Last edited by Powerogue; 2016-05-12 at 04:40 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aucald View Post
    Having the authority to do a thing doesn't make it just, moral, or even correct.