Thread: Civilization VI

Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by AeneasBK View Post
    ARen't those little chats direcftly related to their agendas and how you align with them though. Itss not random chatter. If your army is weak you'll be worse than Brutus and Cassius combined. And if you have no Navy there will be no place for you at Odins table.
    Probably. They've got to have some trigger, but my point is: I'd like to do the same. Because as it stands I have to earn their favor. They don't have to earn mine and I find that to be a ridiculous double-standard.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

Quote Originally Posted by smrund View Post
    Probably. They've got to have some trigger, but my point is: I'd like to do the same. Because as it stands I have to earn their favor. They don't have to earn mine and I find that to be a ridiculous double-standard.
    I'm afraid if you want a more fleshed out diplomatic experience, you have to stick to Europa Universalis/Crusader Kings/Stellaris

As you said, it has been missing in civ for a long time, I don't expect them to change that anytime soon.
    My DK
    (retired since januari 2017) solely playing PoE now.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    Almost won on Emperor. Came down to space race between me and USA and I was 8 turns away from building the last part before USA beat me to it.

Pretty big step up in difficulty from King to Emperor. The AI just has insane advantages, at least early on.
    Emperor is super easy but you have to get a strong start. One easy way to do that is to find one or more of the other civs early and not let them know where your capital is(super important). Then sit that warrior you started with and possible scout(s) if you managed to train one or got them from tribal rewards at their border.. but outside of it. If you see a settler coming out, position your troop next to it and declare war, then grab in and flee. Theres absolutely no penalties from doing that in the Ancient Era and you dont even get warmonger. That free town is a huge boost.

You can keep the warrior and or scouts at the border if you know how not to get cornered and if youre lucky, you can pillage their improvements for huge early culture or faith boosts as well as maybe even grab a worker. Now train a few archers and kill the warriors to make them surrender and pay gold on top of that all. Now seek out another civ, with those archers its gonna be easy this time, rince and repeat. The AI just seems to spam hordes of warriors and 2-3 archers can take care of pretty much all of them.

It's pretty much a fool proof tactic for emperor.. and every time Ive been ahead of the AI civs for at least 1-2 ages and the AI has never managed to develop nukes.

New Fall Patch is out! Tons of fixes in it. The update is 2.1 GB. Full list of changes here..

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comment...date_now_live/

Thoughts from Quill18 on the patch...

Last edited by carnifex2005; 2016-11-18 at 07:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by carnifex2005 View Post
    New Fall Patch is out! Tons of fixes in it. The update is 2.1 GB. Full list of changes here..

https://www.reddit.com/r/civ/comment...date_now_live/
    glad to see selling units nerfed.

can anyone confirm if they fixed chopping bug? (make a horseman with the +prod on cavalry units policy, then chop a tree when it has 1 turn remaining, see if the production overflow gets affected by the policy still?)

I reaaaally hope they did, otherwise, I'll have to wait another patch
    My DK

Deleted
    I think this patch created a new bug.. city attack strength seems to be 3 till the information era making walls pretty much useless.

Anyway, I thought Sparta was good but Aztec.. oh my god.. I launched my first satellite in 1450 AD..

10+ Year Old Account
    Salisbury, Rhodesia & Leiden , The Netherlands
    Still no city razing/district replacing changes

And I can't believe they did not fix movement by keeping mouse on edge of the screen (topside).. That bug is just too obvious, frustrsting they didn't do anything about it
    Last edited by Bumbasta; 2016-11-19 at 07:04 PM.
    "This is no swaggering askari, no Idi Amin Dada, heavyweight boxing champion of the King's African Rifles, nor some wide shouldered, medal-strewn Nigerian general. This is an altogether more dangerous dictator - an intellectual, a spitefull African Robespierre who has outlasted them all." - The Fear: Robert Mugabe and the martyrdom of Zimbabwe, Peter Godwin.

Hooray won on Emperor. Science victory with Rome. Was soooo far ahead on science, I was building spaceship parts around the 1800s. Ended up winning around 1930 ish.

Rome is OP. By far the best civ in the game.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    Hooray won on Emperor. Science victory with Rome. Was soooo far ahead on science, I was building spaceship parts around the 1800s. Ended up winning around 1930 ish.

Rome is OP. By far the best civ in the game.
    Nah, I think either Aztecs or Russia is. Rome is only strong when those legionaries and free buildings are relevant but being able to quickly build districts with workers, not to mention all your units getting combat bonus for every luxury resource you improve (I had +12 last game, I think, +4 from religious wars and 4 from government). That pretty much means your army will roll over everything with ease throughout the game.

I think most civs are good if you know how to exploit their thing however, America, France(spies arent that useful really and take too long to operate/move between cities) and Egypt (was pretty OP in civ 5) seem to be really lackluster.

10+ Year Old Account
    Haven't started a new game because I ended up holding off my last campaign until there was a patch. That campaign feels better? I guess?

Things that I've noticed and observed, I think because it could just be wishful thinking:

Tanks 100% aren't useless anymore.
    The remaining superpower in my game actually and effectively spied on me. Before they might've spied like the first time they unlocked spies and never again once I countered them.

I'm not getting negative press as much, had to tell in my current game because it was before the patch when I figured being a complete dick was the only way to win.

Barbarians are less of a problem. I had hit a bug (which made me put the game on hiatus) where all of my cities suddenly didn't have enough amenities and barbarians spawned endlessly. My cities were spawning 3-5 barbarians each turn, and I had 10+ cities (playing England). After the patch they stopped respawning after every turn, all of my cities weren't in the red, I cleaned the mess and my economy in 3 turns.

I lost my best spy after wiping out Russia. Either nuked the spy (don't think I did but I did nuke Russia after they gave me all their cities except 2 just to stay in the game), or the game bugged. It says Russia is holding my spy captive but Russia no longer exists...

Other nations are actually recognizing my power and giving into my demands if I put troops on their border. They still try to demand ridiculous deals from me though despite me holding 4 capitals, and all but 3 city-states with only 2 empires left.

Before the patch the AI was spamming me with monks or whatever but there still isn't a way for me to spread my own religion. Spreading you own religion is simply not an option unless you're extremely proactive about it.

I wish there was a way to press other civs into being vassals under you like I could do in Stellaris. I'm ticking almost 1kg a turn with an army that could fight a 2 front war if it had to + nukes if things go south. The game would've been over in Stellaris, or at least I could've vassalized on of the remaining empires. This game makes you stick it out to the ugly and bitter end.

Resident Cosplay Progressive

Rome is quite powerful but wouldn't consider it the best civ- best civ is very situational anyways. I found Peter (if you get a decent tundra start) to be the best after scythia (which is not ofc not good anymore without selling units)

It feels to me production is king, any civ that can actively boost construction, or better, get tile bonus like Peter, will have an insane advantage.

I really like the aztecs as well, and kongo is pretty decent. Rome is good if on pangea and you actively go for domination victory. But if you spawn somewhere with no AI nearby, you lost your biggest edge already.

They didn't fix chopping bug - it is not as rediculous anymore because the policy nerf, but it is still there and if you use it to your advantage, game is still to easy
    My DK

Quote Originally Posted by falagar112 View Post
    It feels to me production is king, any civ that can actively boost construction, or better, get tile bonus like Peter, will have an insane advantage.
    (
    Production means everything in civ 6. While civ 5 was mostly science focused, you can actually ignore building a campus for 100-200 rounds because you won't have the production to take advantage of your unlocked buildings anyway. Thats why on every ranking you got the civs with production bonuses on top.

Quote Originally Posted by Faldric View Post
    Production means everything in civ 6. While civ 5 was mostly science focused, you can actually ignore building a campus for 100-200 rounds because you won't have the production to take advantage of your unlocked buildings anyway. Thats why on every ranking you got the civs with production bonuses on top.
    And I like that - it makes it more strategic compared to science - now you need to actually place your cities on correct spots with enough forests/hill access to utilize your policy/science gains. Even more so with districts and wonders that only fit on certain locations.

But it does mean that Peter with a good start is basically ahead of everyone else, that +1 hammer is really strong.
    My DK

Deleted
    As predicted

Civ5 wasn't much different btw.

it's always about the hammers.

This game makes you stick it out to the ugly and bitter end.
    It's the worst part about 4x games. Once you get to the point where you overwhelm everything, it's pointless to keep playing.
    Last edited by mmoc96d9238e4b; 2016-11-21 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KrayZee View Post
    It's the worst part about 4x games. Once you get to the point where you overwhelm everything, it's pointless to keep playing.
    Yeah unfortunatly. I am currently at a Montezuma game. Round 85. I already took 2 civs out of the game, made all their warriors to builders, own 11 cities , and 11 different luxury ressources which together with some other boni leads to my eagle warriors having 50+ attack. I don't even want to finish this because it will end with me winning. There is no way I could loose with such a dominant position. I could now attack move my army into teddy, take the whole continent for myself, build up and win but its too boring this way.

Deleted
    The worst part is the amount of micromanaging you'd need to get a domination victory. Bigger maps are more fun as long as you are in the "skrimish/builder" phase, but are annoying if you want to finish them. I wish there was a "auto attack-move" button or something.
    Stellaris has the same problem, Endless Legend too, even games like HoMM/AoW have it.

The only semi 4x/TBS game where it doesn't happen so far is Total War, but it's current titles has other annoying issues (razing + march-mode armies)

The only semi 4x/TBS game where it doesn't happen so far is Total War, but it's current titles has other annoying issues (razing + march-mode armies)
    After 14 patches I gave Rome 2 another go. Grinding out the whole map was the final nail in the coffin for this game for me.

Deleted
    I did only play Medieval, Shogun and now Warhammer - in Medieval I was never at the point where I was outplaying all the other factions and in Shogun and Warhammer, moving from town to town was done in less than 20 turns (except for the norscar region, which is shit tier - but you don't need to clear that to win)

Doesn't Rome 2 have any win conditions?

Doesn't Rome 2 have any win conditions?
    They tried, but most of them boil down to "control 75% of the map". Theoretically there is also an economical or cultural victory but those also need huge portions of the map and sometimes fail on the stubborness of the AI. economic victory often needs a minimum amount of trade routes, which are often impossible to get because the ai simply wont accept them. Even by threat of extinction. So you usually go back to military victory.
    Last edited by Faldric; 2016-11-21 at 10:41 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    Before the patch the AI was spamming me with monks or whatever but there still isn't a way for me to spread my own religion. Spreading you own religion is simply not an option unless you're extremely proactive about it. .
    AI spamming monks IS the way to spread your religion. What you wanna do is find out where the.. erm, monks are coming from and build a holy site close by. Then only recruit apostles, never missionaries as they are 100% useless and if youre lucky and get debaters, plant them on the holy site. Now wait till the missionaries roll in and kill them with your apostles. It should be pretty easy, especially if youre lucky enough and got debaters. Then watch the enemy cities around convert. Each time you kill one, it eliminates their religion in 6 hex radius and boosts your own. Oh and in case you didnt know, your faith units heal by sleeping on or 1 hex from your holy sites. The more faith the site provides, the faster the heal.

Another way is to declare a holy war and pillage all their holy sites or take the cities and use inquisitors to remove their religion. You can give them back after and they actually start spreading your religion