Page 1 of 5
... LastLast

Autism linked to excessive amounts of folate and B12

http://www.futurity.org/folate-pregnancy-autism-116048/

The researchers found that if a new mother has a very high level of folate right after giving birth—more than four times what is considered adequate—the risk that her child will develop an autism spectrum disorder doubles.

Further, very high levels of another vitamin, B12, are also potentially harmful, tripling the risk that a new mom’s offspring will develop an autism spectrum disorder. If both levels are extremely high, the risk that a child develops the disorder increases 17.6 times.
    It's the same story it often is in biology - too little can be bad, too much can be bad:
    We have long known that a folate deficiency in pregnant mothers is detrimental to her child’s development. But what this tells us is that excessive amounts may also cause harm. We must aim for optimal levels of this important nutrient.
    People need to be careful about supplementation - these are both common in pills:
    Last edited by Malachi256; 2016-05-11 at 09:58 PM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Malachi256 View Post

It's the same story it often is in biology - too little can be bad, too much can be bad:
    What the fuck is folate?

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    What the fuck is folate?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folic_acid
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

if i'm correct, some studies suggest that autism and asperger's syndrome (part of the autism spectrum) is in part a genetic problem
    EDIt: added a source http://genetics.thetech.org/original_news/news49
    Last edited by Thepersona; 2016-05-11 at 10:03 PM.
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Slant View Post
    Ah, so American bread causes autism!

10+ Year Old Account

Resident Cosplay Progressive

10+ Year Old Account
    After living with a brother with classic autism for 18 years, working with hundreds of individuals on the spectrum in a clinical setting, and watching thousands come and go through our non-profit summer camp program, a study like this feels like another to tack onto the giant board of 'Stuff that causes Autism'
    Thanks for the ad-hominem; it supports your inability to support your argument.

Quote Originally Posted by Thepersona View Post
    if i'm correct, some studies suggest that autism and asperger's syndrome (part of the autism spectrum) is in part a genetic problem
    EDIt: added a source http://genetics.thetech.org/original_news/news49
    Most everything will have at least some genetics involved. In this case it could easily just be a few genes that have to do with how your body digests, absorbs, and processes these particular vitamins.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    What the fuck is folate?
    It's a form of the substance otherwise known as folic acid or vitamin B9.

Many foods (cereals, flour, etc.) are fortified with it, as it is needed for DNA synthesis, repair and methylation, as well as production of red blood cells. Deficiency in it in pregnant women is also linked to a class of birth defects called neural tube defects.

Warning : Above post may contain snark and/or sarcasm. Try reparsing with the /s argument before replying.
    What the world has learned is that America is never more than one election away from losing its goddamned mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Howard Tayler
    Political conservatism is just atavism with extra syllables and a necktie.
    Me on Elite : Dangerous | My WoW characters

Quote Originally Posted by Advocate Cheeks View Post
    After living with a brother with classic autism for 18 years, working with hundreds of individuals on the spectrum in a clinical setting, and watching thousands come and go through our non-profit summer camp program, a study like this feels like another to tack onto the giant board of 'Stuff that causes Autism'
    When you hit numbers like "17.6 times more likely", it's worth a much closer look.

People need to be careful about supplementation - these are both common in pills:
    Let's just wait until this study is a bit more tested before calling the doomsday squad, shall we?
    Users with <20 posts and ignored shitposters are automatically invisible. Find out how to do that here and help clean up MMO-OT!
    PSA: Being a volunteer is no excuse to make a shite job of it.

Seems plausible. I believe the FDA starting adding folic acid to cereals and breads in 1996, which does seem to coincide with the increase in prevalence rates.

When you hit numbers like "17.6 times more likely", it's worth a much closer look.
    Just to note, this data is going to be in a poster at some conference - none of this has been peer reviewed yet. We can't actually look at the data.

If sample size is low, you can get tremendous increases by random chance. For example, let's say you have a study with 20 mothers. Two mothers had high folate levels - we'll call this group A. The other 18 were normal - group B. Two children had autism and one of those was in group A.

So you have 1/2 children in group A = 50% risk. 1/18 in group B = 5.6% risk. This gives a high folate level a relative risk of 9x more likely, just by bad luck with a small sample size. When you are talking about combinations of risk factors, numbers of patients can get very small very quickly. We have no idea what their numbers are because they haven't been published.

I don't think you should blow off things without more evidence, but it is -very- easy to fudge stats to make them look more significant than they are.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaza-R View Post
    Seems plausible. I believe the FDA starting adding folic acid to cereals and breads in 1996, which does seem to coincide with the increase in prevalence rates.
    Correlation does not equal causation.

See, I can do it too.

Quote Originally Posted by Calamorallo View Post
    Correlation does not equal causation.
    Yes. That's why I never said there was a causal relation. I merely said they coincide.

Yeah, the number of people with autism isn't growing, the professionals are just diagnosing more people with it.

Most men have always been insensitive according to women, but not all men have autism.

Another interesting thing is they recently stimulated an autistic man's brain with electricity somehow that restored his empathy, he was both amazed and overwhelmed. I don't know how accurate that study is either.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Most everything will have at least some genetics involved. In this case it could easily just be a few genes that have to do with how your body digests, absorbs, and processes these particular vitamins.
    yeah i could be. for starters, me, my eldest brother and my mother have asperger's syndrome (but very near to the neurotipical part of the spectrum).
    and also, the mantra of statistics and econometrics: correlation =/= causation
    Forgive my english, as i'm not a native speaker

10+ Year Old Account
    More likely that isn't the case. Also pro tip: Autism Speaks isn't really a good group either. They be shady.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

Personal anecdote time.

Not autistic, diagnosed clinical depression. B12 and an inability to convert folic acid into methylfolate was brought to my attention a few years back, due to my genetics playing a role in all of it (incorrect alleles.) Perhaps the inability for the brain to receive the nutrients it needs -- folate and B12's job -- plays a major role?

Quote Originally Posted by pacox View Post
    I thought of this immediately.
    READ and be less Ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by IIamaKing View Post
    I thought of this immediately.
    Same. This sounds like a load of rubbish.