Internet randomly crashing

So as of about a week ago, my internet has decided to start randomly crashing for seemingly no reason at all. No idea what's triggering it, but every time it happens, Chrome gets stuck at "resolving host", and doesn't load pages.

Disabling and enabling the connection doesn't fix it; neither does running the troubleshooter. Every time it happens, I just have to wait for it to solve itself, which takes anywhere from 1 to 5 minutes.

Any idea what's going on? I haven't touched the router or changed any internet-related settings. It's an ethernet connection too, so no wireless interference or anything.

Using Powerline [network using electrical mains] by chance?

Um...no, not that I know of. Verizon FiOS.

Haven't changed anything in terms of network configuration, on both the hardware and software side. Have had the same router setup for over a year; it's just starting to act up now, all of a sudden.

Sounds like an ISP issue.

There are a ton of things that could be causing the symptoms you described. Some immediate questions that pop into my head.

1.) Do you still have an IP address? Can you ping your gateway address?
    2.) Can you ping your DNS server? You can always use googles 8.8.8.8 if you aren't sure what that is.
    3.) You can try doing a continuous ping to google's DNS server and observe when you lose service next if the pings are failing.
    4.) Does it happen at a certain time of day? It could be congestion issues with your ISP at high usage times.
    5.) How are you getting internet? (Cable, DSL, Fiber..etc)

Quote Originally Posted by grandgato View Post
    4.) Does it happen at a certain time of day? It could be congestion issues with your ISP at high usage times.
    5.) How are you getting internet? (Cable, DSL, Fiber..etc)
    Nope, I've had it happen in the morning, afternoon, and even at 1am. Doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

Verizon FiOS fiber internet.

Eliminated physical issues, like loose or faulty cables ? Tried using a different router if you've got one to spare? etc.

Quote Originally Posted by anon5123 View Post
    Nope, I've had it happen in the morning, afternoon, and even at 1am. Doesn't seem to be any pattern to it.

Verizon FiOS fiber internet.
    Did Verizon provide you with the router? If not, you could try bypassing it and connecting your laptop/pc into whatever device they did. If they did provide the router, you should probably call them

Okay it just happened yet again. Other programs (Skype, TF2, WoW, etc) work fine, but Chrome refuses to load webpages. I tried connecting directly to an IP address instead of a website name, and that worked fine, so it definitely seems like a DNS error.

This is the error Chrome keeps giving me:

Tried ipconfig, everything looked normal. Tried flushdns, that didn't work. Tried to ping Google, and it kept giving:

Windows network auto-troubleshoot thing gives this:

But didn't end up fixing anything.

I ultimately fixed it by setting my DNS to Google's DNS. However, my iPhone and iPad were getting this same issue, and they're on the same network (obviously) so there might be something wrong with my router.