Deleted

Best Mainboard for the i5 6500?

Hello Ladies and Gentlemen,

i´m looking for the best motherboard for the 6500. Don´t really wanna get into the bclk overclocking on a z170, so mainly looking for the best gaming experience on a b150 or h170 board. Hope u have some nice ideas which one i should pick. Living in Germany and thought of spending max. 90€. Thanks

If you are not getting a 6500k and not planning on OCing, it almost does not matter in the least. However, if you want the "best" you're still better of going with Z because the parts are made to handle OCing and therefore higher quality. Really though, for a rig that you are not going to OC, just stick with the cheapest ASUS or Gigabyte board you can find, it'll be fine.

Deleted
    The b150 i usually go for is Gigabyte GA-B150M-D3H but as Lathais said is not a Z board, still probably the best features you can get on B board.

H110, son. There's nothing in H170 or B150 that is worth the extra expense, honestly. If you're going to bother with H170 you might as well just drop the extra 15$ in a Z170. Otherwise... H110 will do you just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    H110, son. There's nothing in H170 or B150 that is worth the extra expense, honestly. If you're going to bother with H170 you might as well just drop the extra 15$ in a Z170. Otherwise... H110 will do you just fine.
    Aside from the fact H110 boards are the bottom of the barrel and board makers will typically skimp on part quality and specs for the lowest line.

Quote Originally Posted by Cows For Life View Post
    Aside from the fact H110 boards are the bottom of the barrel and board makers will typically skimp on part quality and specs for the lowest line.
    Considering you will not be OCing and not really stressing anything at all, just go with a reputable brand like ASUS or Gigabyte and it will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    Considering you will not be OCing and not really stressing anything at all, just go with a reputable brand like ASUS or Gigabyte and it will be fine.
    Overclocking isn't the only reason to buy above the lowest end. Even a modest B150 board from Asus would get you fully shielded audio and headphone amp and Intel NIC as opposed to Realtek, maybe even M.2 slot. The caps on the board might be better quality and have longer lifetime as well.

Deleted
    So after reading up a lot of stuff, i will go with a z170 board for the better quality. Hearing that Skylake will perform better with 2666 DDR4 on the i5 6500 and maybe in the future be able to oc if needed i came up with this:

https://www.mindfactory.de/shopping_...e5ff6057950d51

i will be reusing my gtx 760 until the new amd cards show up. Anyone got some last Hints or Idea´s before ordering?

You wont be able to OC the 6500, though.

Youll have to get a new CPU.

Deleted
    thought you can with the right bios oc the 6500 over the baseclock? i know that intel did put a stop to this but thought that doesnt concern the bios version u would flash on the board? anyhow, i always have the option then to upgrade to an 6600k later on if i really should need it. my main concern was to go for the z170 because of the higher ram speed which scales nicely with the skylake cpu´s. But the parts look good to you kagthul?

Quote Originally Posted by flens View Post
    thought you can with the right bios oc the 6500 over the baseclock? i know that intel did put a stop to this but thought that doesnt concern the bios version u would flash on the board? anyhow, i always have the option then to upgrade to an 6600k later on if i really should need it. my main concern was to go for the z170 because of the higher ram speed which scales nicely with the skylake cpu´s. But the parts look good to you kagthul?
    I don't recall bclk overclocking being available on any but select boards. That Z170 board looks fine if all you're looking to get is some use out of higher memory speed grades. It looks like it also has a few extras in beefed up integrated audio parts, USB 3.1 and Type C (though the 3.1 is based on the less stellar Asmedia chip), M.2 slot, and an extra USB 3.0 header for 2 total (though your case only has 2x3.0 and 2x2.0 on the front).

Quote Originally Posted by flens View Post
    They also updated/changed the microcode on the chips themselves to not allow it. Newly shipping chips wont be able to bclk no matter what you do.

Asus Motherboard

Asus Motherboards are pretty good for gaming, and there are lot of blog article on that

Deleted
    If you don't can OC it does not matter. Get the cheapest board with the features you want. A Z170 Board with such a budget CPU is bullshit.

Asus Motherboards are pretty good for gaming, and there are lot of blog article on gaming motherboard

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kagthul View Post
    They also updated/changed the microcode on the chips themselves to not allow it. Newly shipping chips wont be able to bclk no matter what you do.
    If you mean the motherboard chipset then all you need to do is flash the BIOS to a version which allows it even if it's using an updated BIOS. The only way BCLK will die is if Intel pushes a critical update with their microcode through Windows Update which then bricks your system beyond the POST screen and forces you to flash to another BIOS like the G3258 being able to overclock on non-z boards.
    Last edited by Triggered Fridgekin; 2017-01-27 at 06:58 PM.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.

2016-05-18
    This is quite the necro.

Scarab Lord Triggered Fridgekin's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Hextor View Post
    2016-05-18
    This is quite the necro.
    I'm glad someone is paying attention. I see first page and assume it's new.
    A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon.