Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    7+ Year Old Account

D. Cameron: "Turkey will probably get round to joining in EU about the year 3000"

David Cameron: "It is not remotely on the cards that Turkey is going to join the EU any time soon. They applied in 1987. At the current rate of progress they will probably get round to joining in about the year 3000 according to the latest forecasts.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7041986.html
    and
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/...nts-Libya.html

---
    He has previously supported their application for membership and promised to help. Is he just backpedaling now?
    "Just remember, there's a right way and a wrong way to do everything and the wrong way is to keep trying to make everybody else do it the right way." Colonel Sherman Potter

I'm guessing it has more to do with the worsening political situation there. They're not even headed towards anti-corruption reform, they're headed towards a more corrupt state with ever increasing controls on its media.

Deleted
    Turkey joining the EU is a guaranteed way to get the British people to vote OUT.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by McDeloud View Post
    David Cameron: "It is not remotely on the cards that Turkey is going to join the EU any time soon. They applied in 1987. At the current rate of progress they will probably get round to joining in about the year 3000 according to the latest forecasts.”

and

---
    He has previously supported their application for membership and promised to help. Is he just backpedaling now?
    He doesn't give a shit either way, he's just riding the EU train to retirement

and

---
    It's anti-anti EU PR. Expect much more until the referendum.

Turkey would never get membership while President Recep-tive-to-goat-fucking is in charge anyway.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Turkey isn't even in Europe, they are more Middle East tbh

I dont understand, they are not European, why is their case even considered?

Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post

In established terms...yes, they are literally ME and only a smart part with Istanbul is in Europe.

While it's clearly a move made on political play not every shifting opinion is backpedalling. Context and situation always matters and Turkey some years ago was entirely different entity and moving towards another direction than it's right now. Sensible people adjust their viewpoints as per situation requires.
    Modern gaming apologist: I once tasted diarrhea so shit is fine.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an excercise of power, are barbarians" - George Lucas 1988

Deleted
    They applied in 1987. At the current rate of progress they will probably get round to joining in about the year 3000 according to the latest forecasts.”
    3000 that was fast, he is a true optimist....as it stands now, nevere. But seriously if German can totaly change in just a few decades so can Turkey....

10+ Year Old Account
    Обединени социалистически щати на Америка
    Quote Originally Posted by Immortan Rich View Post
    Turkey joining the EU is a guaranteed way to get the British people to vote OUT.
    and the Dutch, and a bunch of other countries.

I doubt Greece would like it either.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilrak View Post
    and the Dutch, and a bunch of other countries.

I doubt Greece would like it either.
    The year 3000, is 3000 years earlier than what we would like it to be.

To be fair, countries like Greece and Hungary are headed in the same direction. They just have the benefit of already being in.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    To be fair, countries like Greece and Hungary are headed in the same direction. They just have the benefit of already being in.
    To be fair you're in for some Geography and History lessons since:

a) You can't possibly move either Hungary nor Greece out of Europe, since they are both physically located on the continental Europe and
    b) the name Europe, and all the values EU is based on, are products of Greek civilization =)

Maybe you meant the eurozone?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    Cyprus is entirely in the Middle East and they are in the EU.

Physical location is not the reason Turkey will be refused entry.

Quote Originally Posted by Ulmita View Post
    To be fair you're in for some Geography and History lessons since:

a) You can't possibly move either Hungary nor Greece out of Europe, since they are both physically located on the continental Europe and
    b) the name Europe, and all the values EU is based on, are products of Greek civilization =)

Maybe you meant the eurozone?
    Not at all what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the increased prevalence of corruption and authoritarian rule.

Quote Originally Posted by Polyxo View Post
    Not at all what I'm talking about. I'm referring to the increased prevalence of corruption and authoritarian rule.
    Corruption exists everywhere. Its the incompetence the main problem of Greece.
    As for the authoritarian rule, there is NO SUCH THING here. Things are done quite democratically around these places, at least from what i've seen in my limited amount i've spend to this country so far. I mean US government is 10000x more authoritarian than Tsipra's government. Maybe you should start reading more before posting bollocks.

and

---
    No, he isn't. He hold the same opinion I do. Which is in favor of Turkey becoming a member of the EU. Of course for that to happen they must live up to all the rules and reforms they need to follow and implement in order to quality for membership. Currently they do not. And, as Cameron said, they are not close to living up to them and in some regards I guess they have been moving backwards so with that rate of progress the forecast may seem to be a thousand years off. That doesn't change the position of being in favor of Turkey becoming a member of the EU. Nobody is saying they should join today as they are now.

Turkey is as far from European values as a country could be.