Mobs leveling up (and down?)

Just curious for those that have been there. If a group of 100s and a 110s walk into a bar, will the bartender be 100 or 110? Often in the later stages of the expansions I start leveling alts, Since I have multiple accounts, I normally use 1 account to power level the others. So I'm wonder if I join a party with a 100 at 110 will the mobs scale up to me or will they stay at the 100 level? if they scale up, does that mean more XP for the 100?

10+ Year Old Account
    No, they scale to the players themselves only. In your example, the 100s would see the bartender as 100 and the 110s would see the bartender as 110, even though it's the same bartender.

Quote Originally Posted by Tai Rin View Post
    No, they scale to the players themselves only. In your example, the 100s would see the bartender as 100 and the 110s would see the bartender as 110, even though it's the same bartender.
    So if I'm at 110 out in the world and in a group with a 100 and we're fighting the same creature, how much health does it have? It can't have both 100 and 110 level health. Or are we going to be phased?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    So if I'm at 110 out in the world with and in a group with a 100 and we're fighting the same mob, how much health does it have? It can't have both 100 and 110 level health. Or are we going to be phased?
    As far as I understand it, each player basically sees their own copy of the mob with its stats adjusted to match their level. I don't know how that works under the hood, if there are actually multiple copies or if it's just a UI trick. But the health itself is super easy; every mob's health can be tracked as a percentage, so it just displays as that percentage (e.g. if at 100 it has 1000 health and at 110 it has 10,000 health, and it's at 50% health, the 100 sees it at 500/1000 and the 110 sees it as 5,000/10,000).

Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    Ofc you can. You can store health as a percentage (0 to 1) and display health to different players of different levels (or even ilvls) by multiplying the health the mob would have for them only by that percent. Or at least this is what I assume they are doing; they are making the individual calculations for each player with the mob they would individually face yet update the mob by percentile values using a table.
    Interesting, I guess in order to keep the areas feeling challenging this is the negative involve. I'll miss being able to group up with a max level and 1 shot all the low level mobs, so guess there is no value in doing that anymore. At least it better than phasing, which I hate for other reasons. I know some people really liked that about Guild Wars 2, but that was one of the turn offs to me.

I'm now curious to see how that works in production. I was kinda hoping it would work like it did in The Division where the mobs would be at the highest level and the lower level player got more XP per kill.
    Last edited by Mad_Murdock; 2016-06-10 at 05:02 PM.