Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by klogaroth View Post
    I would contest that even a fairly heavy Pakistani accent from someone who has lived in London all their life sounds closer to the rest of London's population than Glaswegians, Scousers or Belfasters.?
    Well it's rather simple then, those Londoners with fairly heavy Pakistani accents are also not British. That's a fairly easy concept to understand. You cannot be intergrated into a country when your accent is from a country half way across the globe.

When people move to countries; their accents change, This happens in decades.

So people who are BORN in a country and still have a thick accent from a country they have never seen, they are not acclaimed.

I have seen Muslim women who CANNOT SPEAK ENGLISH despite being born here.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    I haven't spent too much time in Bradford, but around 15 years ago I worked on a construction project in the city. It was few weeks after the race riots in the city, and the travel lodge (or some such cheap hotel we were staying in) was in an Asian part of the city. Initially I was apprehensive, given recent events, but quickly my apprehension dissolved and I found a largely friendly community. Some of the best curry I have ever tasted was on that trip and the curry houses we ate in were almost exclusively patronised by the local Asian community.

No doubt things have change in Bradford's Asian communities in the past 15 years, and I agree that there is an element of radicalism with every Asian community throughout the uk which we should be doing all to overcome, but I believe the majority of British Asians are as British as the indigenous people and their culture only enriches ours.
    A prominent Bradford Imam praised the Bangladeshi murderer who killed that official over defending christian girls. I don't care how good curry you had, They're not British when they're actively destroying our country from within.

They do not enrich our culture.

Deleted
    So your opinion is that all Muslims agree with that Bradford imam?
    He's an Imam for a reason. You don't become a spirtual leader when people disagree with you. My issue is these kind of people are not British. They are in fact Anti-British. Encouraging them as seen nothing but pain and suffering for the country. I'd rather burn every Mosque to the ground than have another Rotheram.

Quote Originally Posted by The Fiend View Post
    I have seen Muslim women who CANNOT SPEAK ENGLISH despite being born here.
    There are people who cannot speak English, but only 0.3% of the population (to 1 dp).
    The percentage of the population with Panjabi, Urdu, Bengali, Gujarati and Arabic as their first language combined was 2.1%. Many of these people speak English as a second (or 3rd etc) language (as indicated by the 0.3%).

This is hardly a full scale invasion. Whilst I don't doubt that you've encountered people born in the UK who can't speak English they're hardly a large proportion of the population, and the figures above include people who weren't born in the UK. We're talking about a tiny fraction of the population.

It's also not particularly relevant to the Brexit debate either to be honest. People whose families moved here to fill jobs left vacant in the post-war years, yes that'd be the 3rd/4th generation people you're talking about, won't be moving on due to Brexit. Nor does our membership of the EU make it any easier to migrate here from Pakistan, or any other country outside of the EU.

Deleted
    There are people who cannot speak English, but only 0.3% of the population (to 1 dp).
    The percentage of the population with Panjabi, Urdu, Bengali, Gujarati and Arabic as their first language combined was 2.1%. Many of these people speak English as a second (or 3rd etc) language (as indicated by the 0.3%).

This is hardly a full scale invasion. Whilst I don't doubt that you've encountered people born in the UK who can't speak English they're hardly a large proportion of the population, and the figures above include people who weren't born in the UK. We're talking about a tiny fraction of the population.

It's also not particularly relevant to the Brexit debate either to be honest. People whose families moved here to fill jobs left vacant in the post-war years, yes that'd be the 3rd/4th generation people you're talking about, won't be moving on due to Brexit. Nor does our membership of the EU make it any easier to migrate here from Pakistan, or any other country outside of the EU.
    And how does that argue for me to call them British. I mean Islam as a whole is literally Anti-British. At best they can be tolerated, at worst their a problem our country faces.

Not just that 2.1%, but the entire Radical Islam base in the UK. And it is there.

10+ Year Old Account
    Indeed, if Brexit has an immigration aspect then it is more to do with Poles than Pakistanis.

Deleted
    Aye, OK, I get it, you hate Muslims. BF member?
    No, I hate Islamists. Muslims who actually intergrate and DO enrich our country are great.

I just heavily doubt they are the majority anymore.

And how does that argue for me to call them British. I mean Islam as a whole is literally Anti-British. At best they can be tolerated, at worst their a problem our country faces.

Not just that 2.1%, but the entire Radical Islam base in the UK. And it is there.
    The differences aren't really so large as you make out, often they're smaller than existing differences between different regions of the UK.

The North/South difference, differences between England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, differences between different branches of Christianity, even differences between neighbouring cities.

I'd would argue that people of different ethnicities in let's say Manchester often feel closer to each other than they do to Londoners.

Deleted
    The differences aren't really so large as you make out, often they're smaller than existing differences between different regions of the UK.

The North/South difference, differences between England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland, differences between different branches of Christianity, even differences between neighbouring cities.
    All of those still have underlying British cultures at work that unite and bind us. Islam and Radicals are not British.

All of those still have underlying British cultures at work that unite and bind us. Islam and Radicals are not British.
    Do they bind just white-Brits though? Support of a football club or living in a particular city or other similar differences will often be more important to people than whether someone else who supports your club or grew up in your city has the same ethnicity and religion.

Yeah, that family down the road are Muslims, and their grandparents weren't born in this country, but THOSE guys over there, they're scousers and that's even worse. (not having a go at scousers, just illustrating a point)

10+ Year Old Account
    The problem with a 'Who is British?' debate involving religion is that the criteria used seemed to be entirely arbitrary.

Britain has long been a Christian country, so can a Muslim be British? Can an atheist? Can a Roman Catholic? What about Anglicans, after all Catholicism is older within the UK?

There are no continuous polytheistic religions in the UK, all those things like Wicca and Druids are modern inventions with zero genuine ties to the past, but previously the island was polytheist, so can any Christians really be British?

If you go on ethnicity, then anyone with Anglo-Saxon, Norman, Viking, Roman, etc. blood in them, are they British? You would literally be disqualifying anyone in the British Isles from being classed as British, as we all have a bit of this and a bit of that somewhere along the line.

7+ Year Old Account
    The thing is this. Take a few sections of Immigrants who bring positive aspects to Britain.

French - Nothing any of them believe in threatens my family or way of life.
    Spanish - ditto
    Americans - ditto
    Chinese - ditto
    Indians - ditto
    Australians - ditto
    Polish - ditto
    Russians - ditto
    Mexicans - ditto
    Namibians - ditto
    Japanese - ditto
    And on and on

Now pick any random majority Islamic country and a small subset of outwardly unidentifiable potential immigrants from them. Can you really not see the problem?

The Unstoppable Force Theodarzna's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    None of the above. A true Briton is a celtish pagan
    As a point of technicality a true "Briton," would likely be a Cornish, Welsh or Breton speaker. I.E, Of the Britons. A Britain or British person is a modern thing with a similar naming convention.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissi View Post
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by dribbles View Post
    Indians - ditto
    India.

The nation with the third most Muslims of any nation on earth. 172,000,000. That's almost 4 times as many Muslims as the whole of Europe. Yeah, it's not a national majority, but to the north there are regional majorities.
    C'mon if you're going to have a go at Muslims at least know a bit about where they live.

The top is Indonesia by the way (204,847,000). Are Indonesians okay? How about Moroccans? Nigerians?

Not to mention the fact that many of the nations on your list have had far more historical conflict with us.
    It's not long since Russia was going to blow us up with nukes. Then there's the French, being all French.

Mexians are okay to you, but ask some parts of American society and they'll give you a very different assessment.
    None of those nations have squeaky clean histories, we don't have a squeaky clean history either.
    Last edited by klogaroth; 2016-05-17 at 12:53 AM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Did you miss the story about the impending Irish republican dissident attack on main land uk? Should we have fear of the Irish due to the threat posed by a tiny minority of nutters?

- - - Updated - - -

I thought the Britons were celts, and didn't the celtish Britons inhabit the north and north east of the British Isles in the Pictish people's?
    The Britons would be Celts yes, their language Brittonic split off into the languages of Welsh, Cornish and Breton. Pictish remains a linguistic mystery, were they closer to the Britons or the Gaels Linguistically?

So yes they were/are?

British and Britain are actually newer words coming into vogue about the time of Henry 7th-8th ect. Off and on throughout the Plantagenet times ect.
    i think I have my posse filled out now. Mars is Theo, Jupiter is Vanyali, Linadra is Venus, and Heather is Mercury. Dragon can be Pluto.
    On MMO-C we learn that Anti-Fascism is locking arms with corporations, the State Department and agreeing with the CIA, But opposing the CIA and corporate America, and thinking Jews have a right to buy land and can expect tenants to pay rent THAT is ultra-Fash Nazism. Bellingcat is an MI6/CIA cut out. Clyburn Truther.

Quote Originally Posted by Hubcap View Post
    So it's an hour long. They seem to bring up most of their points in the first five minutes.

My take on this is

1. EU places sanctions on Russia over Crimea and Ukraine

2. Putin and his ally Assad use terror tactics to drive the Sunni refugees into the EU like cattle

3. EU is destabilized

4. Britain wants a Brexit because it can't control refugee immigration

5. Putin chortles with glee
    That devious Putin.
    First he cons Europe into supporting and arming the so called "opposition" in Syria since 2012.

Then he cons Europe into supporting the coup in Ukraine, overthrowing the democratically elected president, with a support from nazi groups.

And all that to annex Crimea, get sanctions, and overflow the Europe with refugees.

I mean that guy is a fucking Machiavelli.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalis View Post
    The problem with a 'Who is British?' debate involving religion is that the criteria used seemed to be entirely arbitrary.

Britain has long been a Christian country, so can a Muslim be British? Can an atheist? Can a Roman Catholic? What about Anglicans, after all Catholicism is older within the UK?

There are no continuous polytheistic religions in the UK, all those things like Wicca and Druids are modern inventions with zero genuine ties to the past, but previously the island was polytheist, so can any Christians really be British?

If you go on ethnicity, then anyone with Anglo-Saxon, Norman, Viking, Roman, etc. blood in them, are they British? You would literally be disqualifying anyone in the British Isles from being classed as British, as we all have a bit of this and a bit of that somewhere along the line.
    Everything about the topic is arbitrary which is why I go with whatever people choose to define themselves as on the census.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you miss the story about the impending Irish republican dissident attack on main land uk? Should we have fear of the Irish due to the threat posed by a tiny minority of nutters?
    Only brown people can make terror.

I was hoping it was some kind of hysterical disaster/scare movie like Red Dawn or all those Emmerich films...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

10+ Year Old Account
    None of the above. A true Briton is a celtish pagan
    None of them exist anymore. All we have nowadays is those Druids at Stonehenge, whose religion dates all the way back to 1974.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mormolyce View Post
    I was hoping it was some kind of hysterical disaster/scare movie like Red Dawn or all those Emmerich films...
    If the UK goes Brexit, LITERALLY Adolf Hitler will rise from the sea and resume the Battle of Britain all over again and Nazi Zombie piloted planes will drop bombs on London...... True Story.