How do you handle multi-target situations?

I'm starting to raid on my Warlock and I find that I'm having some trouble on fights with more than one target when they all get stacked up - I have trouble accurately switching between targets.

For example, Archimonde. I need to be able to switch between Arch, the Doomguard, and the Overseer quickly. However, I find it's hard to accurately switch between them with my mouse not only because they're stacked up and it's hard to pick out the correct hitbox, but also because I tend to lose track of where my cursor is because of all the spell effects.

Tab targeting doesn't work well in general, and even more so in the situation I just described where there are also a ton of dogs I don't want to target running around.

So what should I do? Make a bunch of fight-specific targeting macros? Download an addon that makes my cursor more noticeable, or somehow makes target swapping to priority targets easier? Git gud?

Thanks for any and all help!

A combination of experimenting with nameplate settings until you find something that behaves how you expect, a cursor trail addon like _Cursor so you don't lose your mouse so easily and some focus target management macros is what I do.

Fight specific targetting macros are a good idea if you're willing to put the work in to maintain it but I'm lazy.

You can make a macro for /tar overfiend or /tar doomlord or whatever else you may need. You can put them in reverse priority order and add a cast, for example, /tar doomlord/tar overfiend/cast immolate.

Or for those two particular mobs, they show up in boss frames, so you can just click on their bars on the side of your screen. Or better yet, get an addon like Shadowed Unit Frames so you can customize where those boss frames appear.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    Poorly, I don't like the hassle so I spam Rain of Fire... even though it does essentially nothing but make it look like I'm doing something constructive...
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!

If you have trouble finding your cursor, _cursor is a pretty neat addon that helps out with that. Just using Archimonde as an example here pretty sure even in standard UI there should be more than one boss frame for when the adds like the Doomfire spawn so you could just use those to switch to them.

Experiment with nameplates a bit with or without mouse over addons but honestly it just comes down to "git gud."
    Last edited by Ghormus; 2016-05-15 at 07:49 PM.

For loosing your mouse in the spell clutter you can get a cursor trail effect addon, I use this one: http://mods.curse.com/addons/wow/cursor

EDIT: Oh nvm the person above me mentioned it. There's a link anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Mordrathor View Post
    I'm starting to raid on my Warlock and I find that I'm having some trouble on fights with more than one target when they all get stacked up - I have trouble accurately switching between targets.

For example, Archimonde. I need to be able to switch between Arch, the Doomguard, and the Overseer quickly. However, I find it's hard to accurately switch between them with my mouse not only because they're stacked up and it's hard to pick out the correct hitbox, but also because I tend to lose track of where my cursor is because of all the spell effects.

Tab targeting doesn't work well in general, and even more so in the situation I just described where there are also a ton of dogs I don't want to target running around.

So what should I do? Make a bunch of fight-specific targeting macros? Download an addon that makes my cursor more noticeable, or somehow makes target swapping to priority targets easier? Git gud?

Thanks for any and all help!
    You can go an easy route and pay more attention to priority target frames on the right on the screen in a raid fight. Usually most (but not all) of the stuff you need to switch ASAP will appear there.
    It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic... No, what the heck, I'll laugh anyway.

Thanks for all of the advice, everyone. I downloaded ElvUI and messed around with the boss frames and name plates, both of which have been a huge help. I also downloaded Cursor, as a few of you suggested. My cursor is now a giant flashing ball of lightning that leaves a very obvious trail. Pretty annoying when I'm not in a raid or an instance, but I've yet to lose it and that's all that matters.

7+ Year Old Account
    I personally use macros with various modifiers. For example ctrl will cast on boss1, shift will cast at my focus, and none will cast at my current target. On fights like council I've noticed it is extremely beneficial so I don't have to worry about mouse overs or anything. Having weak auras to monitor all of your dots is also beneficial.

http://www.wowinterface.com/download...1-_Cursor.html is a great addon for tracking your mouse movement if it gets lost.

As for being able to manually target with your mouse without clicking the wrong hitbox, learning to use the nameplates will help tremendously. Mess with nameplate options and ideally use a nameplate mod to make them easier for you to click on.