Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Deleted
    I can imagine that people don't want "friends" on Facebook that constantly post political things.

We had a guy in class back in the day that was ALWAYS busy with politics and constantly talking about it. No one liked him.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom4u2 View Post
    That's subjective.
    Well of course it is, and their view of your political beliefs is all that matters. If their subjective opinion about your political beliefs is that they're moronic and asinine, then why would they ever want to be your friend?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    I can imagine that people don't want "friends" on Facebook that constantly post political things.

We had a guy in class back in the day that was ALWAYS busy with politics and constantly talking about it. No one liked him.
    I'd rather see a political comment for once rather than yet another photo of someone's trip to somewhere. But then again, that's subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Well of course it is, and their view of your political beliefs is all that matters. If their subjective opinion about your political beliefs is that they're moronic and asinine, then why would they ever want to be your friend?
    I don't have to agree with someone to be his friend, as long that he doesn't attack me personally. I don't care if you vote Trump, Hillary or Sanders as long that you don't attack my integrity and cognition about whom I decide to vote. But if he does vote for someone I disagree with, so what?
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    That has absolutely nothing to do with it. Would you want to be associated with someone who thinks politically completely different from you? I wouldn't. It isn't that I'm going "LALALALA I'M NOT LISTENING", it's that all it would do is create conflict. I'd post something on FB, then they're retort, I'd call them out on their BS, they'd call me out on my BS, and tada, we have a fight for no fucking reason. Neither of us can convince the other that they're wrong. Why would you want that?
    Picking friends just based on how they swing politically seems to be an odd way of picking friends.

I just feel that there is enough coverage for all of the political candidates that I hear it all of the time already. Having someone non-stop post about any of them or posting with an agenda in general is tiring. If I was on Facebook more often (I probably check in once a week or so for updates and whatnot) I would probably just unfollow folks.

Herald of the Titans Lotus Victoria's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    If they did that, they were not your friends at all.

Deleted
    I don't have to agree with someone to be his friend,
    Indeed. That's the good thing about being friends. You can accept that they have different opinions and still hang out with them.
    You both just silently agree to never bring them up again and then you can still hang out and enjoy a drink while watching a game or playing some video games.

Quote Originally Posted by ramjb View Post
    Is this normal? Should I take it personally and feel aggrieved? I thought the free exchange of opinions nourished democracy, and anyway why not just unfollow my posts so they don't show up?
    I think facebook should be used just to keep in touch with your friends and family, not as your soapbox, no one cares about your belief system, including your family. I never use FB as my soapbox

Is this normal? Should I take it personally and feel aggrieved? I thought the free exchange of opinions nourished democracy, and anyway why not just unfollow my posts so they don't show up?
    That's ok. I've had it happen too. Cept the funny thing is, I'm bashing all the candidates. Also, the bathroom issue too, lost a friend over that one as well. I don't care much. If you can't respect my views and seek an argument over anything I post, then maybe you shouldn't be my friend on facebook.......... =P
    Yes, I draw my own avatars.

7+ Year Old Account
    All that moves is easily heard in the void.
    Depends on a couple of factors.

Have you been posting a lot of political things? I usually follow people on Facebook for humor and to keep up with what is happening in their world. I don't particularly care for most political posts...especially those that are demeaning...from either party. I'll let one or two things slide, but if you are posting a bunch mean-spirited or highly BS political, I'll unfollow you (I haven't unfriended anyone for any reason so far).

Are you really being honest about "the free exchange of opinions"? Most people that post a lot of political things (especially the more hateful BS) are not actually interested in really understanding the issues, much less having a real discussion or debate about the issues. I know a couple that do, but they are definitely in the minority.

In other words, do your political posts include things like "lefties", "righties", "idiots on left/right", "Hillary / Trump is a criminal / stupid", etc, etc? If so, you clearly aren't looking for "the free exchange of opinions" in any useful way.

Deleted
    if he does vote for someone I disagree with, so what?
    It's not about "voting for someone" that you don't disagree with. It's about holding views that are against what you believe in.

For example, if you believe that women should have equal rights to men, and have the right to choose whether they want to have an abortion or not, and have the right to get that abortion in a safe and timely fashion, and they believe that life begins at conception and abortion is murder and should never be done, then how can you possibly be friends with them?

Or if you believe that transgender people should be able to use bathrooms the way any people do; women use women's bathrooms, men use men's bathrooms, but they believe that transgender men should use women's bathrooms because they were born women, and transgender women should go to men's bathrooms because they were born men, then how can you possibly with friends with them?

Or if you believe religion should have no business in politics and governance, and that there should be a complete separation of church and state, and that while they're free to believe whatever they want, they should do so in their own homes and churches, but they believe that God wrote the Constitution and God's law supersedes the law of the land, then how can you possibly be friends with them?

I could go on and on.

Deleted
    I mean Ive unfriended people for sharing stuff from Britain First, but that is slightly different. Generally I dont mind political discussion, but its really dependant. THe EU referendum is causing a bit of a stir on FB at the moment, but I seem to have done a good job making sure FB has content that I want to read via unfollowing stuff and whatnot.

People have their reasons, and Im not going to blame them for it. At the end of the day, its Facebook, whats the big fuss about who people do and dont have as friends and why?

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    It's not about "voting for someone" that you don't disagree with. It's about holding views that are against what you believe in.

For example, if you believe that women should have equal rights to men, and have the right to choose whether they want to have an abortion or not, and have the right to get that abortion in a safe and timely fashion, and they believe that life begins at conception and abortion is murder and should never be done, then how can you possibly be friends with them?

Or if you believe that transgender people should be able to use bathrooms the way any people do; women use women's bathrooms, men use men's bathrooms, but they believe that transgender men should use women's bathrooms because they were born women, and transgender women should go to men's bathrooms because they were born men, then how can you possibly with friends with them?

Or if you believe religion should have no business in politics and governance, and that there should be a complete separation of church and state, and that while they're free to believe whatever they want, they should do so in their own homes and churches, but they believe that God wrote the Constitution and God's law supersedes the law of the land, then how can you possibly be friends with them?

I could go on and on.
    Because that doesn't define who they are. Sure, we can have contradictory point of view, but the person behind it can be an ass or a great person. That's the thing, really - if two people disagree with something, they can just move on and not speak openly about it. Now of course there are limits - I'm gay and I wouldn't be friend with a homophobe, however that wouldn't come from me but from them. If someone said it's a sin and unnatural yet doesn't attack you and accept you like you are, meh, that's their opinion and I don't mind.
    Google Diversity Memo
    Learn to use critical thinking: https://youtu.be/J5A5o9I7rnA

Political left, right similarly motivated to avoid rival views
    [...] we have an intolerance for ideas and evidence that don’t fit a certain ideology. I’m also not saying that we should restrict people to certain gender roles; I’m advocating for quite the opposite: treat people as individuals, not as just another member of their group (tribalism)..

Deleted
    Because that doesn't define who they are.
    Well of course it does. But hey, you're free to look past that in people. That's definitely your prerogative. That's not to say others will.

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Facebook isn't for politics. It's for spamming your friend event invites to take a dump with me and barrage them with a onslaught of your kids and pets photos. This is known

Facebook has promoted a far lower standard for "Friend" which may not stand up to political toxicity.

10+ Year Old Account
    Well it's a good way to weed out the fake friends from the real ones.
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

Deleted
    Good, you shouldn't be friends with idiots who cant separate politics from the personal.

Quote Originally Posted by ragemv View Post
    I mean many people on FB are barely friends. Like Going to be honest with you guys on This forum i dont have 297 Close friends.
    So i would remove a "friend" from FB if our idology was oppesit, i mean if this is a person i went to a random class in high school with for 6 years ago, Sure why not remove it.
    + I would remove even people i dont dislike from my FB if they supported the Orange Monkey there is Drumpf #MakeDonaldDrumfAgian
    Yeah, I don't understand that, all my FB friends are people who I actually interact with, which is why half of them is family. Meanwhile I see people with 600+ friends and I am like WTF.... Must be Farmville invites.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by zenkai View Post
    Yeah, I don't understand that, all my FB friends are people who I actually interact with....
    So true. All of my "friends" are pretty much like me in their viewpoints (moderate/conservative.)

I have no use for liberals/progressives/democrats so I do not have ANY friends in real life that adhere to those viewpoints. I find those folks to be repugnant so I would certainly NOT want to friend them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Why do people use Facebook as their political soapbox anyway? Use it to keep in touch with friends and family and shit. No one cares about your super enlightened article from whatever bias site you venture.