Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kilidan View Post
    I'm aware people have different tastes, and if you enjoy it, good for you, I can see why people would like it, my main point was that I don't really get how people spend hundreds of hours on it, but then again, I don't know to what extent you can mod it exactly, so I won't comment any further on it.
    The main quest, like I mentioned in a previous post, is only a handful of hours long. If that's all you do, then I could understand not getting how people can sink that sort of time into a game.

However, outside of that, there are something like 200+ sidequests, if you're on PC there are mods that add entire new landmasses with their own quests, so you could easily sock away 100+ hours on just ONE playthrough. But many people like trying the game in different ways - stealth archer (as if there was any other way to play!), sword and board warrior, mage, healer, there are so many different ways to spec your character, and each of them makes for a different game.

I did actually go through a game once where I had three companions, and I was a healer - it's a lot more challenging than you may think, since you can't see health pools like you can in, say, an MMO. But it was a lot of fun. I never actually killed anything unless I absolutely had to, I just let my companions do it.

Of course, mods add so much more life to the game than what you get out of the box. New quests, new dungeons, new houses, companions, bosses, monsters, loot, you never play the same game twice.

If you're one of those people who staunchly refuse to play anything outside of the main story, The Elder Scrolls games are definitely not for you. But if you love just going off the beaten path and finding shit to do, you have an almost never ending supply in Skyrim.

My biggest beef with the game is that they apparently hired many, many more voice actors than in any previous title, but half the fucking people you run across all sound like Ralof >.> Hell, following the main quest at the start, if you choose to follow him, he ends up talking with an NPC that has ithe same exact voice actor, so he's basically talking to himself!
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Anyone else have a habit of buying games and never playing them? I feel like I get caught up in the "this will be so cool to play" and forget that I really don't have time to play a lot of games anymore - particular deep storyline or open world games like Skyrim. I just can't find a solid 2-3hrs in one day to really play through.

Skyrim has been sitting in the wrapper since it came out in 2011... it's probably worth money at this point.
    I have 39 minutes played of Skyrim.
    Fortunately, I'm finally (after 20 years of gaming) finding out what games I'll actually play and finish.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vaerys View Post
    Gaze upon the field in which I grow my fucks, and see that it is barren.

Quote Originally Posted by ro9ue View Post
    Anyone else have a habit of buying games and never playing them? I feel like I get caught up in the "this will be so cool to play" and forget that I really don't have time to play a lot of games anymore - particular deep storyline or open world games like Skyrim. I just can't find a solid 2-3hrs in one day to really play through.

Skyrim has been sitting in the wrapper since it came out in 2011... it's probably worth money at this point.
    You install that game right now and you play it, damnit!
    Not having played Skyrim should be a criminal offense.

Seriously though, it's really good.

I actually just looked at my library of games. These are the only (single player/campaigns) I've completed in the last decade: Portal 2, Bioshock Infinite, Oblivion, Gears of War and Uncharted 2.

Everything else I purchased, either is still waiting untouched (Skyrim, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Thief, Witch, Arkham City, Splinter cell Blacklist), or I played 5-10min into and just lost interest (Kingdoms of Amalur, Wolfenstein, Farcry 3, Dishonored, Shadow of Mordor, Rage, Assassin's Creed 3).

Da fuck is wrong with me?

Back in the late 90s early 00s I was diving deep into games like FF7/8/9, Parasite Eve, Legend of Dragoon, Xenogears, FFT, Super Mario World RPG, etcc. Like tons of hours.

I remember specifically in Farcry 3 is when I realized something had changed. I played through the intro part ~5-10min. Then all of a sudden it just opens up the whole world t you. I looked around at a vast world and was completely overwhelmed. Turned it off and never touched it again. I hear it's a great game though...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Acelius View Post
    I love RPGs and Skyrim looked so appealing, yet the combat is so sluggish and non-responsive and the quests so dull and repetitive that i uninstalled it after 9 hours.
    Agreed. When I first played skyrim, I had never played an elder scrolls game before, and was coming from a 5 years stint of nothing but WoW. The sandboxish open world action rpg thing was epic to me at the time. It's still a fun game, namely with mods, but the combat is pretty bad. Combat in elder scrolls isn't really it's focus though. It's tre world building.

Try playing Skyrim after playing a game with a robust combat system, like the Witcher 3.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Baracuda View Post
    It's a good game in certain aspects but I myself wouldn't call a game with a such a poor excuse of a combat system a good game. Music, scenery = great, story = average, combat = bad.
    Yeah I will agree that the combat is a bit stiff and wonky. Can get really annoying sometimes but I'm old school and am able to work past that and still enjoy it for what it is. I'm still fucking waiting on the next gen Elder Scrolls. Where the fuck is it?
    - "If you have a problem figuring out whether you're for me or Trump, then you ain't black" - Jo Bodin, BLM supporter
    - "I got hairy legs that turn blonde in the sun. The kids used to come up and reach in the pool & rub my leg down so it was straight & watch the hair come back up again. So I learned about roaches, I learned about kids jumping on my lap, and I love kids jumping on my lap...” - Pedo Joe

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    Then you're playing the wrong game, definitely. If all you're going to do is play the main quest, then don't play it at all. It's only like maybe 2-3 hours long.
    I wouldn't go that far. It must be at least 7-10 hours, depending on how little looking around you do. You would have to not pick up a single side quest or spend any time exploring or crafting to finish it in less than that. Just some of the travel times, unless you liberally use wagons, are pretty long. But yeah, the Thieves Guild quest line alone is better than the main quest and worth the box price in my opinion.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonGateClimber View Post
    I wouldn't go that far. It must be at least 7-10 hours, depending on how little looking around you do. You would have to not pick up a single side quest or spend any time exploring or crafting to finish it in less than that. Just some of the travel times, unless you liberally use wagons, are pretty long. But yeah, the Thieves Guild quest line alone is better than the main quest and worth the box price in my opinion.
    Speedrun record for the main story is under 40 minutes. 2-3 hours, if you don't venture out for side quests or exploration, is more than enough time to knock it out.

Nearing 1500 hours on skyrim for me, still play it from time to time.

It's not a perfect game, but it's a great game, and it's pretty amazing when heavily modded.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonGateClimber View Post
    I said exactly what I meant, I was not exaggerating. The guy said he only plays the main quest. If all you're doing is the main quest (which I stated clearly), it only takes 2-3 hours. I'd stretch it to maybe 4 if you're going through all of the chat options with each NPC. And that's being leisurely.

Main quest =/= doing side quests. You don't need to craft anything at all to do the main quest, I found that the gear I picked up from chests and loot was sufficient to complete it. The wagons are only useful for marking the main towns on your map so you can then fast travel to and from them - if you're intentionally not using fast travel, that's up to you. Can't calculate your matters of opinion on how to play the game if you aren't going to use the most efficient route.

Now, an average player would probably take at least 15-20 hours to finish the main quest. Because doing the main quest does toss a lot of side quests in front of you, and they're bound to finish those, and probably a few more. Or they want to make sure they have the best gear possible for facing arguably one of the weakest dragons in the game at the end of the main story. Getting side tracked is the best way to play Bethesda games, in my opinion lol.

The attraction to Bethesda games isn't the length of the main quest. FO3's main quest is short as hell, too. I can't mention FO: NV's main quest because I never did the main quest in that game. But Morrowind, Oblivion, and Skyrim, if all you're doing is the main quest, you will be severely let down. They're more like an example, a demo, a taste of what the game has to offer. They're comparatively short when looking at the game overall. (I'd actually argue that Morrowind's was the longest, then Oblivion, then Skyrim...like, they're getting shorter and shorter with each release.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Sheevah View Post
    Speedrun record for the main story is under 40 minutes. 2-3 hours, if you don't venture out for side quests or exploration, is more than enough time to knock it out.
    The 40 minute run was using a serious amount of glitches. There is a video of someone doing Legendary difficulty in about 1:30 without glitches.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warwithin View Post
    Politicians put their hand on the BIBLE and swore to uphold the CONSTITUTION. They did not put their hand on the CONSTITUTION and swear to uphold the BIBLE.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam Jensen View Post
    Except maybe Morgan Freeman. That man could convince God to be an atheist with that voice of his . . .
    Quote Originally Posted by LiiLoSNK View Post
    If your girlfriend is a girl and you're a guy, your kid is destined to be some sort of half girl/half guy abomination.

7+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by endersblade View Post
    The 40 minute run was using a serious amount of glitches. There is a video of someone doing Legendary difficulty in about 1:30 without glitches.
    Fair point on the glitchless part. There are some major time savers a casual player wouldn't have access to.

FWIW, the first time I played the game, I beat the main story in 2 hours. I wanted to focus on the main story before exploring. That 2 hours turned into less than 1% of the time I spent in the game, though.

I'm really sorry. Its a really fun game.

ES games are weird for me. I usually log about ~50-60 hours on them before quitting and I never end up beating the main story, lolol. I just find myself getting bored after a while. Although in fairness I wanted to beat Skyrim but the main quest bugged out and I couldn't finish it near the end. I much prefer Fallout.

Quote Originally Posted by FobManX View Post
    ES games are weird for me. I usually log about ~50-60 hours on them before quitting and I never end up beating the main story, lolol. I just find myself getting bored after a while. Although in fairness I wanted to beat Skyrim but the main quest bugged out and I couldn't finish it near the end. I much prefer Fallout.
    I can't comment on Skyrim in particular, but I played a fuck ton of Oblivion and honestly the Dark Brotherhood and Thieves Guild questlines were about 10x better than the main story.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    Skyrim? Well, yeah... That depends. Hardest difficulty and melee character, and you might be challenged. I played a paladin type, with healing spells, shield and mace, and while melee opponents and even archers were sort of doable, trying to fight an ice wizard was suicide.

But, as with all Bethesda games, going with the sneaky sniper type, it doesn't matter what difficulty level you play on, it's always easy mode.
    It was more a comparison with older TES games. Though much of the difficulty was due to the convoluted leveling system which required a good planning of your character beforehand otherwise it was entirely possible to have leveled up enemies while your character had very skewed stats.

My first playthrough was an heavy armor/dual axe barbarian style build, i was literally wrecking everything. Though my funnniest build has been the heavy armor/shield/destruction battlemage. Played also stealth archer and "full monk".

Current playthrough is a "death knight" - two hand and necromancy.
    Non ti fidar di me se il cuor ti manca.

I own the full Skyrim on Steam - it's on my list to play at some point. I need to spend some time on textures, the rock default textures irritate me, they're all specular and shiny and busy. But I do intend to spend some time on it. I've watched friends play it, and I know I'll enjoy it.

I'm finishing up with D3 for the season, so I want to get the Fallout 4 Safe Harbor DLC, play some more with that, and play and finish New Vegas. And I have a map in Cities Skylines I'm half done with, that I have about 40 hours in on. Then Skyrim. I'm kind of saving it for a time when I can really focus on it. After I get some art projects done.

I liked skyrim although I think i killed it for myself, my first play through I ended up rushing through the main quest much like I did with fo3 and didn't really feel like doing side quests after that.

If there is one thing i would have liked to have seen changed its the puzzle system, it would have been nice to see something more than just those statue puzzles they started to get pretty repetitive after a while.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by UnifiedDivide View Post
    Make sure you get some mods/addons before you play it. Not an amazing game (not even a great game), imo, but the mods (as usual) make the game better.

As for having games that you never play, I have something like 500 Steam games. I've played a fraction of them lol
    Sorry I'm going off topic

Is your signature from Re:life by any chance? Looks like Rem/Ram, pretty cool anime.

The problem continues. I just bought Witcher 3. Why? WHY?? I will probably not play it.

I had that habit for a while when I was younger. I think most of that is because I got my first job at age 14 and worked there until I was 17. A job at that age pretty much meant an income with no expenses. I could get paid on Friday, go to Gamestop on Saturday, and literally spend my entire paycheck there without feeling guilty at all. I ended up with quite a few games that I still haven't played to this day because of all those impulse buys. Most of them are PS1/PS2 games because those were the big ones when I was that age (14-17 for me was 1999-2002).

I wish I could still blow my entire paycheck on games without feeling guilty, but I'm 31 now, so yeah. That's not gonna happen. I'm not completely broke, but money is extremely tight right now. I mean, I might grab a game on Steam if it goes on sale for really cheap, but that's about the extent of it until I get caught up in other areas.

On Skyrim...for some reason, I never really could get into it. All my friends on Steam have > 300 hours played. I've owned the game for a couple of years now, and I have about 9 hours played. On the surface, Skyrim seemed like everything I'd love about an RPG, but when I started playing...I dunno. It just failed to really suck me in like it seems to have done for everyone else. Didn't get far before I lost interest. I was curious about Skyrim and grabbed it when the "Legendary Edition" with all the DLC was on sale for like $15, so at least I didn't lose much money over it.
    Last edited by Ciddy; 2016-05-20 at 04:36 PM.