First time building computer

After years of using pre-built computers and barely being able to run any game I play, I think it's well past time I build my own computer. I obviously have never built a computer, and therefore have a limited knowledge of computer parts, builds, etc. Since I'm sitting here like an idiot looking at these builds and nodding as if I know what I'm doing, it would be great if someone who understands this stuff would be willing to make a build for me. Thanks )))

Budget: $600-$1000
    Games: Overwatch, Heroes of the Storm, Dark Souls 3
    Other Intensive Software/Things I do: video/photo editing
    Parts that can be reused: No idea
    Do I need an OS: probably, would say yes
    Peripherals: I have everything, but suggestions are welcome since I would probably replace them anyway

Thanks again, your help is invaluable to me

Deleted
    You can re-use your old hdd for storage temporarily, when you can grab a WD caviar blue. you can also add another stick of ram for a total 16gb but i didn't on this since it would go over 1k. If you decide to do it now you can get this corsair 16gb kit

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor ($233.75 @ OutletPC)
    CPU Cooler: be quiet! Shadow Rock 2 51.4 CFM Rifle Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.90 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($111.89 @ OutletPC)
    Memory: Kingston FURY 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory ($29.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($85.79 @ OutletPC)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 4GB WINDFORCE 3X Video Card ($268.00 @ Newegg)
    Case: NZXT S340 (Black/Red) ATX Mid Tower Case ($64.99 @ Micro Center)
    Power Supply: EVGA 650W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($62.99 @ NCIX US)
    Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM (64-bit) ($83.89 @ OutletPC)
    Total: $991.19
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-17 02:28 EDT-0400

edit: if the promo ends on gpu you can get the msi or evga ones.
    Last edited by mmoc73263b3bd5; 2016-05-17 at 06:33 AM.

I would advise against buying a 900-series graphics card now, as the new 1000 series is released soon. If he isn't going to get one of the new cards the old ones will become cheaper aswell

Deleted
    Yeah for 235$ a 970 is a good buy. The gtx 1070 is going to be close to 350-400bucks so its out of his budget. We are talking 1080p here so 970 will be powerful enough for a few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Yeah for 235$ a 970 is a good buy. The gtx 1070 is going to be close to 350-400bucks so its out of his budget. We are talking 1080p here so 970 will be powerful enough for a few years.
    True but I honestly think it would be worth it to save up until you CAN buy a 1070 once the reviews and benchmarks come out, if they are extremely lacking then yeah buy a 970. But if it is a really as big of a power boost that they say might be worth it eh? Looking at the future a 970 may become lacking very quickly.

Also 1070 price got announced at 380$ june 10th.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Also 1070 price got announced at 380$ june 10th.
    Exactly my point, not on his budget. If he can extend it thats another thing, then sure he can go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    Exactly my point, not on his budget. If he can extend it thats another thing, then sure he can go for it.
    Did you not read my post at all? "True but I honestly think it would be worth it to save up untill you CAN buy a 1070" So wait a month or two collect some paychecks save a penny here an there you'll be good to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythbredor View Post
    Did you not read my post at all? "True but I honestly think it would be worth it to save up untill you CAN buy a 1070" So wait a month or two collect some paychecks save a penny here an there you'll be good to go.
    you're assuming they can save up more money though, better to ask if that is an option for them before acting as if that is the only course of action.
    don't get me wrong, i understand your advice. if they can save up the extra and get the 1070 then that'd be good, but you shouldn't just assume that is an easy option for anyone

Quote Originally Posted by the boar View Post
    you're assuming they can save up more money though, better to ask if that is an option for them before acting as if that is the only course of action.
    don't get me wrong, i understand your advice. if they can save up the extra and get the 1070 then that'd be good, but you shouldn't just assume that is an easy option for anyone
    If you can afford a 1000$ computer genneraly you have an income. He said "After years of using prebuilt computers" another good assumption on an income. And if you are in the "Must buy it now" mindset you are doing pcs wrong. If your pc doesn't work get a friend to let you borrow an old pc. And the OP never hinted that his pc was broken. Nor did I ever hint that buying a 1070 was the only plan, I just made a suggestion. 1070 will be equal to or greater than a titan X for 380$ value there is immense.

Better yet, just wait and see what Polaris 10 is going to do. We already know that it will likely be better than a 970 and that the price will likely be under $349. Beyond that we don't know much, but it will likely be a better choice than a 970.

10+ Year Old Account
    Really awkward time to be buying a GPU with the new gen of Nvidia and Polaris right around the corner. In any case, I'd recommend waiting for the 1070 as it's a step up from anything current gen for price/performance value. You don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler either unless you are planning on going ham with the OC which I highly doubt you will, given your experience with PCs.
    Last edited by --Code--; 2016-05-19 at 12:20 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Khaze41 View Post
    Really awkward time to be buying a GPU with the new gen of Nvidia and Polaris right around the corner. In any case, I'd recommend waiting for the 1070 as it's a step up from anything current gen for price/performance value. You don't need an aftermarket CPU cooler either unless you are planning on going ham with the OC which I highly doubt you will, given your experience with PCs.
    The Skylake "K" series of CPU's don't come with a cooler so you always need an aftermarket one for those

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Denpepe View Post
    The Skylake "K" series of CPU's don't come with a cooler so you always need an aftermarket one for those
    Ok I guess I worded that wrong, I meant you don't need a "high performance" cooler. You can get a cheapy on Amazon for 15-20$ that will do the job.