Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

anyone else have a family member they despise?

For about 8 years now I have not gotten along with my younger brother. He is slightly less than 2 years younger than me.

He has become an ultimate Nihilist and we can't talk about anything without it leading to an argument. We don't share similar taste in games, music, Tv/Movies, Books whatever.

Its made worse by he thinks every argument needs to end with his winning and me conceding and that I am a total idiot and he knows everything.

The only subject that he likes to discuss in world war 2 , Imperial Era, World war I.

Deleted
    Do not dismiss your brother yet. We all go thru puberty. That kid will one day be helping you move your furniture into your new apartment, might even be your best man at your wedding. We all have dumb hormones at one point in our lives.

Deleted
    Despise is a strong word but if I found out that my father had died, I wouldn't bat an eyelid. He treated me like shit and then left us without warning when I was young, going for a job interview and never returning.

I assume he got the job. Either that or he's in the best pub lock in EVER and still celebrating after 18 years. Tosspot.

He sounds young.

"This will be a fight against overwhelming odds from which survival cannot be expected. We will do what damage we can."

-- Capt. Copeland

Well I wouldn't say that I despise my sister, I do just fine without her as a part of my life. She is the living embodiment of drama and most of her problems are caused by her paranoia that everyone is out to ruin her life (she seems to think that she can never do wrong and that consequences don't exist) which is sad because she has kids and they're going be fucked up for life with the same mentality that she has.

Right now I'm pretty free and clear of her because I decided not to invite her to my wedding (there was only like 10 people there) and she flipped her lid and went on some long ass rant on facebook (which i didn't bother to even read) and then blocked me. It is that behavior right there that is why I didn't invite her in the first place, I didn't want to deal with her drama on my special day.

IMO you should just cut your brother out of your life and go on about your business, it doesn't mean you love him any less but you also don't have to put up with his shit either and let his drama negatively affect your life.
    We cannot go back. That's why it's hard to choose. You have to make the right choice. As long as you don't choose, everything remains possible.

7+ Year Old Account
    A better question ( for me) would be do I have any family that I don't despise. The only one I can think of right away is my mother. Though a thoroughly religious person, she is quite humble about it. The rest of my family are fanatic nutbags that I avoid 99.99% of the time.

Deleted
    I still standby beat up work boots. I'm weird that way.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Rose View Post
    beat up work boots are a family member of yours

what are you, a sock?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Victoria Rose View Post
    wrong thread.

Despise, no. Dislike and/or not respect, yes.

I don't care much for my mother anymore, lost all respect for her over time as she continuously treats me like a child, believing I can't do anything right or at all when it comes to basic every day things.

Wouldn't mind being rid of her and most of my family (which is mostly on her side too). Only family member I kinda like is one of my cousins because he's a fellow gamer/nerd/etc. Rest I simply tolerate or dislike with my mother being the worst.

I'm pretty apathetic toward family members. You're either close to me or you're no one.

Deleted
    Every man on the English side of my family is an asshole, including myself. So no, not really. We get along really well.

I don't like that much many of my relatives, and I particularly dislike my mother's father, but I don't think I outright despise any member of my family. All of them have got good things too.

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't think I'd say despise. I have an uncle I strongly dislike because one day he decided to just drop all contact with the family. When my grandfather died, he showed up for the first viewing, but wouldn't talk to anyone. My grandmother tried to ask if he'd come back to the house for mourning and he told her he would, but then disappeared again. There was never a falling out. He just took his kids and dropped off the face of he earth to us.

My mother.

She is a manipulative, selfish and lying cunt and a plague on every persons life she touches. Especially that of my father's. I am glad he finally moved on after 30 years of suffering.

10+ Year Old Account
    Only one? I have several.

Up until a few years ago I would have said no.

Amazing how a person can change when he realizes he's getting older.
    And how much of a miscreant rotten shit he can be.

10+ Year Old Account
    I haven't spoken to any of my family in 14 years. I left home and never turned back after years of physical abuse, and now just have the scars as memories.

Deleted
    Pretty small family but we get along with each other. Mostly. Probably because we balance out on about 50% passive people vs. 50% pretty active ones. So conflicts usually end up in the sand with both sides pretty chill at the end of it. Not always the best solution but it keeps us sane.

Deleted
    Have a cousin on my mothers side who is a former junkie and he's also quite obnoxious, but its kinda fun to hang around him for short periods of time. Love the rest of my mothers extended family. My fathers extended family are all arrogant snobs who I rather avoid.