Rumor: Resident Evil 7 to be shown at E3, be a "clean slate", back to horror roots

https://twitter.com/serkantoto/statu...20390594314241

1) About Resident Evil 7: Yes, it's in development. The entire game will go back to RE's horror roots and (essentially) be a clean slate.
    https://twitter.com/serkantoto/statu...21188355104768

2) They will show it at E3. The RE7 team hired Jordan Amaro, a designer who previously worked on MGS V and P. T. at Kojima Productions. /end

I'll believe it when I see it.

How many times have they "gone back to the horror roots"? 6, Revelations, Revelations 2 and now 7?

I wonder if they'll rush this one out incomplete and they talk about how they'll never do that again after the sales are disappointing.

I wonder if they'll do another romance story like RE6 and give us co-op NPCs with bland personalities that are only there to make us feel we are playing with another person?
    Here was a level 85 Enhancement Shaman. Now there is just an epitaph.

Quote Originally Posted by Seifa View Post
    I wonder if they'll do another romance story like RE6 and give us co-op NPCs with bland personalities that are only there to make us feel we are playing with another person?
    I *did* play RE6 with another person, though. We co-op'd all of 5 and 6. It made the game more fun, but less scary as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Faroth View Post
    I *did* play RE6 with another person, though. We co-op'd all of 5 and 6. It made the game more fun, but less scary as well.
    You missed the best part of RE5 then : (

"Sheva! Sheva! Sheva! Sheva! Sheva! Sheva!"

As a longtime Capcom customer and survival horror nut my default reaction is "Yeah we've heard all this before" or to use my mother tongue "what a load of old bollocks"

That said Capcom circa Resi 6 is not the Capcom of 2016. Things like REmake HD, revalatons 2, DMC4 HD and Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate have shown not only is their core audience still there, they are still willing to spend money. And not a little money on a micro transaction here and there, but a lot of money all at once.

To put it in perspective - Street Fighter 5 sold something like a few thousand copies more than REmake HD sold in the same quarter. Thats how much demand there is for traditional tank controls survival horror.

Theres always some variables to take into account but the point is after 5 they tried to shake it up, fucked up and in a mad rush frankensteined 4 unfinished products together into the homunculus mongoloid called Resident Evil 6. A lot of people bought it, but it was the final nail in the coffin for a lot of them as well. A product selling well is all well and good, but if it damn near kills off your future sales you need to get your shit together to save the brand. Square enix had to do this with Final fantasy after the "decade of lightning" and to a sadly lesser extent Blizzard is doing the same after Warlords of dreanor.

so like a few companies they have learnt following EA's "wider market appeal is goal #1" strategy doesnt work. Smaller projects for niche audiences that come back time and again for multiple ip releases each year that arent diluted for some imagined large catchment of effervescent "light user consumers" leads to recurring monetary returns. SFV was an experiment in "can we support the core and have our microtransaction cake too" and compared to just putting out a smaller niche product its not been that successful.

Given how every japanese company bar ole moustache twirling Konami have finally realised last year "when we diluted our content for western appeal it lost the unique japanese flavour westerners found appealing" i might not actually be surprised to see this rumour be legit.

But the question then arises: Will they actually pull it off? Bad horror game devs think its about gore and jump scares, but the masters of the craft Team Silent stated its about "shaking the players heart, deeply" and in terms of survival horror i think theirs is the opinion with the most weight design wise.

Especially after The Evil Within showed even Mikami aint what he used to be.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

RIP best resi waifu ;_;7

Deleted
    Having played most of them including the original ones, the original resident evil is pretty sheit.

The only positive thing I can say is that the atmosphere/feeling of the map is good, but the mechanics, story, combat, puzzles, voice acting and character development are terrible.

I prefer another a game with some horror themed levels with the game play of RE5 and the storytelling of RE6. I agree that it could use more horror, but I can't see that happening without making it first person...there is only so much you can do in a 3rd person game to make it scary, in the older games crappy controls was their way of doing it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edge- View Post

I actually liked Sheva, she was a pretty decent sidekick. Badass enough to fit in, not athletic enough to be considered a unrealistic female gymnast.

My hope for this game is that, instead of the usual one NPC you have to guard as she slowly plods along behind you, we get a whole team of them. Like, six or seven, and you've got to individually persuade and encourage them to continue or else they'll wander off and attract enemies. If even one dies, it's game over and you're not allowed to get a puppy until you're older because you're not responsible enough to take care of one right now.

The second thing to really make this gem sparkle is no zombies. No zombie dogs, no zombie spiders, no zombie snakes, and especially no giant genetically-engineered zombie war machines. What we need are more plants. Plants everywhere. Popping out of people's heads, just sitting in planters, bringing the feel of a room together--regular plants doing regular plant things, you know?

You get all that, and maybe, like, a co-op puzzle where one character has to turn a lever while another one pulls a handle at the same time or something, and repeat that about sixty to eighty times in the game, and you're talking Game of the Year. Instant series resurgence.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    Sums up my thoughts.

Maybe I can get a new Silent Hill reboot announcement too.

Herald of the Titans Zenotetsuken's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    I still have faith that there will be another good classic survival horror game, I just think that the big studios are so unwilling to put any money into something like that, because they can't sell it to nearly as many people as would buy a generic action-shooter game with some horror elements.
    I think that the classic survival horror game return is going to fall on indie devs to bring it back, unfortunately it will become further and further from being a possibility as the inspiration to new devs is being drawn from more and more recent games as new devs start making games.

Kind of hard to believe them when they say this every single time,guess we will see at e3.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    this^ otherwise fuck off capcom

10+ Year Old Account
    We need to focus on new heroes for the RE series.

Having Jill, Claire, Chris, Leon and the rest is great. I love them but at this point they feel too immortal. There is no tension or drama for that horror feeling when I am playing these characters. It doesn't matter what number or letter they make for a virus I don't feel threatened.

I hope a clean slate means we take a completely new approach to it. New villain, new setting, hell a new universe wouldn't be too bad. Let Racoon City rest.
    Quote Originally Posted by A Chozo View Post
    Humans Paladins don't have "a lot of lore" behind them.

I hope so, because Resident Evil 6 was absolutely abysmal, at least, most of it was... the quick time events were very off-putting as well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Ha, I'll believe it when it's here. 5 was poor but playable 6 was...

At this point I'm reluctant to get my hopes up. I love the early Resident Evil games - they were incredibly atmospheric, creepy and tense. The newer games, however, put far too much focus on outright action and not enough on clever puzzles, scary encounters and a sense of desperation.