Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ...
    Quote Originally Posted by adam86shadow View Post
    So what do Americans call Indians from India? I kinda assumed people stopped referring to native Americans as Indians 50 years ago
    Most people here use Native Americans or American Indians. However, since the term "Indian" is so entrenched in previous popular culture and colloquialism (Cleveland Indians, Indian Reservations, Indian corn, etc..) to refer to Native Americans, a lot people feel they have to distinguish which group they're talking about.

So many people specify with redundancies like "He/she is Indian, like from India".

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by 10thMountainMan View Post
    I was wondering when the PC police would show up. I don't see how collectively naming the disparate tribes from the Athabaskan to the Seminoles after Amerigo Vespucci is any more enlightened than calling them Indians. It also denies the basic fact that all the descendants of Europeans, Africans, and Asians that have made the continent their home for centuries are also native to America. If we were really trying to be racially accurate we'd call them mongoloids, but I guess that would exclude Elizabeth Warren.
    Is it PC? I just don't see people native to America as Indian

Both terms are adequate and accepted. I'm just making the case that one is not better than the other. They have identical flaws in that one, you are lumping an enormous group of people with disparate languages, cultures and histories, and racial features into one pot, and two, you are not using words that have any real relationship with them. With the word "Indian" you are using a misnomer more accurately applied to those from the South Asian subcontinent, and with "American" you're naming them after an Italian cartographer who managed to really screw over Christoper Columbus.

I was born here technically I'm a native American.
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Quote Originally Posted by Canpinter View Post
    if she is not native american because shes only 1/32nd then the current head of the current Principal Chiefs of the Cherokee isn't native american https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_John_Baker
    Bill John Baker is a fourth generation of Cherokee, born and raised in Cherokee County and the great-grandson of Nancy Walker Osage, an early Tahlequah business owner and Cherokee Healer. Nancy’s mother, Sarah Tackett was brought to Tahlequah Indian Territory by friends after her parents died on the “Trail of Tears”.
    That would make him what... 1/8th Cherokee

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Themius View Post
    That would make him what... 1/8th Cherokee
    1/32 on his wiki page:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_John_Baker
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Warren's bullshitting about race to become part of "diversity" representation at Harvard really does expose the rank hypocrisy of the American left on these issues - it's a really reprehensible act, but most brush it off if they politically align with her.
    Thank you for putting this right at the beginning of the thread. It's sad watching the mental gymnastics some people do to justify their actions or identify as something they're not

So what do Americans call Indians from India? I kinda assumed people stopped referring to native Americans as Indians 50 years ago
    Awkwardly rewording the statement to describe their origin, "they're from India" rather than "they're Indian".

I've been told by a few of the local Lummi that being called native American or American Indian is the same to them since they are Lummi and have nothing to do with either Eurasian names. So I assume the PC indian-to-native thing is just to make us feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    I think it's safe to say we're all partially Native American, I'm sure our ancestors got freaky.

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Melkandor View Post
    I think it's safe to say we're all partially Native American, I'm sure our ancestors got freaky.
    Ehhh, my mom keeps up with the family tree and I'm pretty confident I don't have any Native American in my genes. Depends on how far back you have to go before those ancestors immigrated here.

Quote Originally Posted by Annoying View Post
    Ehhh, my mom keeps up with the family tree and I'm pretty confident I don't have any Native American in my genes. Depends on how far back you have to go before those ancestors immigrated here.
    Oh well yeah I shouldn't generalize. I know for a fact I'm 1/8 Cherokee but it's negligible. I identify as a white guy
    My ancestors that immigrated here were from Eastern/Central Europe

Partying in Valhalla
    15+ Year Old Account
    Even generalized, you're probably not wrong. One counter example doesn't really negate the fact that "our ancestors got freaky". I'd bet some huge chunk of the population fits what you're saying.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Gamdwelf View Post
    Native has various definitions