Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Elune, the essence of Arcane?

So of all the theories on Elune, these 3, to me seem the most likely, especially this first ones

Elune is the Arcane essence. The very embodiment of Arcane in existence - which means there must be another for Fel and the other groups. Altho Light and shadow are more complex and there is no one being embodying them, but many of which TItans and void lords are., nothing in the life realm exists without the ordering of the arcane so Elune is utlised and present through all creative works of the light. Conversely Fel is attached to the realm of death and works almost like an opposite. The night elves perceived Elune from way early through their musings of the well where they learnt to use it and worshipped the essence of order. It was an extraordinary perception, as was how they learnt to utilize and control the arcane to forge things at their will. This is reflected in their reverence for the arcane which was both their greatest tool and their patron and evidenced in the Moonwell rites of worship and calling on the blessing of Elune. Elune is symbolized by the moon because it was what was most strongly reflected in the well and amplified, the purest form of arcane taking on a moonlight white colour. Alternatively 2.

The Titan's Soul - She is the embodiment of magic of the titan blood, sentient soul - her physical form will be the well and the blood of the titan Azeroth . She's definitly conscious as she speaks and can do things, or

3. The Well of Eternity's Arcane consciousness. Something similar to Anveena (sunwell) but far more complex.

Seeing that all Elune's powers are ARCANE not light. NIght elf priests light magic comes from themselves, but Elune related spells are ALL arcane, and they seem a purer form, Moon and Starlight .. this seems very much tied into the night elves - the whole children of the stars, when you meet the nightborne night elves you see the arcane magic they were practicisng is very moon and stars orientated too. something we had not known since it's the first look at an up and running Night elven arcane culture we've had. Dire mall highborne night elven was already in ruins by the time we get there and we are just removing the aberrations, we don't see any magical operations like we do when we visit Suramar and work with the nightborne night elven resistance or take on the treacherous bad nightborne leadership.

So imo, Velen is sensing Elune is operating on a greater level, which as far as his experience, the greater naaru are the cloesst things to this. It is quite possible that the Eredar for all their advancement had not perceived this either, we know when it comes to the Arcane the Elves are a special snowflake, the night elves tapping into the moon, stars and night option, the High elves tapping into the Sun aspects.
    Last edited by Mace; 2016-05-18 at 03:15 PM.

Elunes power is ultimately tied to the light though, it is possible she was born through the well, but it is doubtful she is its incarnation, avatar etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Elunes power is ultimately tied to the light though, it is possible she was born through the well, but it is doubtful she is its incarnation, avatar etc.
    why do you say the light though? Priests tap into themselves and their natural connection to the light to use divine/holy magic. All the instances we get of Elune specific abilities turn out to be arcane. I could be wrong, but when I think about it, we use to assume becasue night elf priests used holy magic that it was Elune... but both the now non-canonized warcraft rpg books, and chronicles vol 1 as well as other clues indicate otherwise. first of all, gameplay mechanics doesn't sufficiently distiguish the particulars of the faiths, it seems the priests powers are not granted from a divine been but come from pure light/holiness that can be found in a person, and the most basic source of their origin or conversely darkness and shadow. Those that worship particular deiteis, whether wild gods, ancients or other powerful beings get additional powers from them depending on the nature of the being - so hex priests of the snake loa can turn into a snake and exhibit some nature powers particular to the being who can imbue them with it.

Looking to Elune, I seem to notice the arcane in a very pure form, and they are all arcane, the night elven preistesses, the balance druids, Tyrande in the futures instance in cata - it's arcane spells they're using

A lot of that stuff has been retconned. The Light just used to be a human religion, and arcane was the base form of pretty much all magic (and using magic risked attracting demons). Now the Light is a literal, physical force that helped create the universe, and arcane is one of many elements of the universe (with the Legion being attracted for completely different reasons, the arcane thing just being the night elves' best guess). In other words, Elune could be arcane and it wouldn't be a big deal anymore.

That said, I'm pretty solidly convinced that she's a manifestation of Azeroth's World Soul, after re-reading some things in the Chronicle (that I had misread before). Here's what we know from the Chronicle: the Well of Eternity was formed from "the lifeblood of the nascent titan" that leaked from the wound left when Y'Shaarj was pulled out of the planet. The first time Elune herself is mentioned is as the goddess that the dark trolls worshipped, and they believed she was housed in the Well of Eternity. It sounds like superstition, but from Legion we know that the Pillars of Creation include the Tears of Elune, which means that Elune is real, and the titans knew about her. Since the dark trolls would have had no way of knowing these things except through her and the titan artifacts they found, that heavily implies the Elune they talked to was real, and since she's in the blood of Azeroth's titan, it narrows the possibilities. With the possibilities narrowed down, the other circumstantial stuff becomes stronger. The Pillars of Creation are all named after members of the Pantheon except the Tears of Elune, heavily implying that she's a titan, just one that didn't travel with them. On top of that, the titans didn't have the Pillars of Creation the whole time, they only made them after the Well of Eternity was formed. Whoever made the Tears of Elune had to be around at the time, and the Well of Eternity opened the possibility for it to be Azeroth's titan (and I would expect Azeroth's titan to shed some tears after having a giant hole in their body).

This would make her arcane, since the titans are arcane, and the blood was referred to as such. I think her manifesting despite the World Soul being dormant is just something like an astral projection of that sleeping body, rather than a distinct entity.
    Last edited by Jokubas; 2016-05-18 at 08:26 PM.

Just because you are a being of arcane origin doesn't mean you can not use the light. The titans themselves used various kinds of magic.

10+ Year Old Account
    My theory is she's an ancient troll mage from the trolls who settled around the Well, whose spirit became empowered after death by the prayers of her people, causing her to become a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    My theory is she's an ancient troll mage from the trolls who settled around the Well, whose spirit became empowered after death by the prayers of her people, causing her to become a god.
    I don't think blizzard are trying to make people hate their lore

Quote Originally Posted by Golden Yak View Post
    Well, there's some actual new shit about Elune now.

After this quest, Khadgar supposedly suggests that Elune is Xe'ra's creator: http://felweaver.tumblr.com/post/144635680743

For additional context, Xe'ra's sentience core is only supposed to be readable by beings of the same lineage, with O'ros being the only surviving Naaru descended from it. However, this vision from the core is activated by a reaction to the Tear of Elune. Since Xe'ra seems to be a first generation Naaru, this would suggest that Elune is actually one of their creators.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokubas View Post
    A lot of that stuff has been retconned. The Light just used to be a human religion, and arcane was the base form of pretty much all magic (and using magic risked attracting demons). Now the Light is a literal, physical force that helped create the universe, and arcane is one of many elements of the universe (with the Legion being attracted for completely different reasons, the arcane thing just being the night elves' best guess). In other words, Elune could be arcane and it wouldn't be a big deal anymore.

That said, I'm pretty solidly convinced that she's a manifestation of Azeroth's World Soul, after re-reading some things in the Chronicle (that I had misread before). Here's what we know from the Chronicle: the Well of Eternity was formed from "the lifeblood of the nascent titan" that leaked from the wound left when Y'Shaarj was pulled out of the planet. The first time Elune herself is mentioned is as the goddess that the dark trolls worshipped, and they believed she was housed in the Well of Eternity. It sounds like superstition, but from Legion we know that the Pillars of Creation include the Tears of Elune, which means that Elune is real, and the titans knew about her. Since the dark trolls would have had no way of knowing these things except through her and the titan artifacts they found, that heavily implies the Elune they talked to was real, and since she's in the blood of Azeroth's titan, it narrows the possibilities. With the possibilities narrowed down, the other circumstantial stuff becomes stronger. The Pillars of Creation are all named after members of the Pantheon except the Tears of Elune, heavily implying that she's a titan, just one that didn't travel with them. On top of that, the titans didn't have the Pillars of Creation the whole time, they only made them after the Well of Eternity was formed. Whoever made the Tears of Elune had to be around at the time, and the Well of Eternity opened the possibility for it to be Azeroth's titan (and I would expect Azeroth's titan to shed some tears after having a giant hole in their body).

This would make her arcane, since the titans are arcane, and the blood was referred to as such. I think her manifesting despite the World Soul being dormant is just something like an astral projection of that sleeping body, rather than a distinct entity.
    My feelings 100%. I got chills reading the Chronicle, at possiblities they have with World of Warcraft. I really hope the game survives long enough to tell the tales too. I imagined Azeroth waking up and fighting Sargeras in the skies above us. Titans are living planets, so if she wakes up, we'd be along for the ride. I'm tearing up right now thinking about it. People say the lore in this game is trash, I disagree 100%. And yes, she would be an arcane titan, unless the blood of all titans is arcane magic. Elune is a manifestation of her dreams. Her dreams were overheard even over the din of activity on her surface from parsecs away by Aggramar.
    Quote Originally Posted by blobbydan View Post
    We're all doomed. Let these retards shuffle the chairs on the titanic. They can die in a safe space if they want to... Whatever. What a miserable joke this life is. I can't wait until it's all finally over and I can return to the sweet oblivion of the void.

Quote Originally Posted by KrakHed View Post
    Well, there's some actual new shit about Elune now.

After this quest, Khadgar supposedly suggests that Elune is Xe'ra's creator: http://felweaver.tumblr.com/post/144635680743

For additional context, Xe'ra's sentience core is only supposed to be readable by beings of the same lineage, with O'ros being the only surviving Naaru descended from it. However, this vision from the core is activated by a reaction to the Tear of Elune. Since Xe'ra seems to be a first generation Naaru, this would suggest that Elune is actually one of their creators.
    This reminds me how much I hate "the child of prodigy" story. This story about Illidan is an utter crap.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    This reminds me how much I hate "the child of prodigy" story. This story about Illidan is an utter crap.
    tell me about it.I'm gonna puke.no surprise that some people shunned Illidan aside.
    Last edited by DemonHunter18; 2016-05-20 at 09:36 AM.

RIP Illidan. I used to like you. Blizzard got the wrong idea when people said they wanted a redemption story for Illidan. Blizzard will find the next child of prodigy in the next arc of their stories and they will make sure the character has absolutely no business being there like Thrall/Deathwing!?,Illidan/army of the light!?. Me'Dan>Thrall>Illidan>?
    Last edited by Wildmoon; 2016-05-20 at 09:39 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    The whole arcane vs. light argument is difficult with the Night Elves because the two are so bled together in the night elves in-game and in-lore magical depictions. In my head Elune is something of both, not an embodiment of just one.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildmoon View Post
    RIP Illidan. I used to like you. Blizzard got the wrong idea when people said they wanted a redemption story for Illidan. Blizzard will find the next child of prodigy in the next arc of their stories and they will make sure the character has absolutely no business being there like Thrall/Deathwing!?,Illidan/army of the light!?. Me'Dan>Thrall>Illidan>?
    it will be worse.believe me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelthos View Post
    The whole arcane vs. light argument is difficult with the Night Elves because the two are so bled together in the night elves in-game and in-lore magical depictions. In my head Elune is something of both, not an embodiment of just one.
    didn't the original confusion come in the gameplay.. Blizzard modelled the priest class after the Light really, and then shadow thinking of the forsaken or added it tot he forsaken...

but unable to show or create completely different trees for other piresthoods so as to not be confusing, they were given the same thing and each religion was given 1 unique spell .

After readinh the RPG books, how the "light" worked or related made a lot more sense, I noticed that chronicles changed aspects of that with some amendments to that, but it also clarified much of it too and adds to it, The light being an actual force now, but something you also generate from or tap into from within. Origins wise you essentially come from the light, that is the life essence of all sentient beings in the Great Beyond, and it's possible to add that the spark of sentience is from the light although that's a leap from me.

I don't know how that ties into the titans and other beings, but Chronicles was quite clear that the titans are at thet op of the from light based beings, beings like the Naaru while pure light embodied are not quite at the level of the titans.

It doesn't mean that Light is mutually exclusive iwth arcane or other aspects, in fact quite the opposite a sentient being can draw on bits from all of those, majoring in one or the other or sevearl - at least that's how I interpret it currently. Still a lot of mystery there.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DemonHunter18 View Post
    it will be worse.believe me.
    I'm not sure I follow, I quite like it, but then I read Illidan the novel and saw it presented in its proper context as opposed to reading the leaked excerpt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    I'm not sure I follow, I quite like it, but then I read Illidan the novel and saw it presented in its proper context as opposed to reading the leaked excerpt.
    I read the book.I mere mention of it(true or not)makes me sick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Mace View Post
    didn't the original confusion come in the gameplay.. Blizzard modelled the priest class after the Light really, and then shadow thinking of the forsaken or added it tot he forsaken...

but unable to show or create completely different trees for other piresthoods so as to not be confusing, they were given the same thing and each religion was given 1 unique spell .

After readinh the RPG books, how the "light" worked or related made a lot more sense, I noticed that chronicles changed aspects of that with some amendments to that, but it also clarified much of it too and adds to it, The light being an actual force now, but something you also generate from or tap into from within. Origins wise you essentially come from the light, that is the life essence of all sentient beings in the Great Beyond, and it's possible to add that the spark of sentience is from the light although that's a leap from me.

I don't know how that ties into the titans and other beings, but Chronicles was quite clear that the titans are at thet op of the from light based beings, beings like the Naaru while pure light embodied are not quite at the level of the titans.

It doesn't mean that Light is mutually exclusive iwth arcane or other aspects, in fact quite the opposite a sentient being can draw on bits from all of those, majoring in one or the other or sevearl - at least that's how I interpret it currently. Still a lot of mystery there.

- - - Updated - - -

I was more thinking along the lines of Tyrande and other Priestesses of the Moon being able to (for example) use Starfall, which seems to be lunar magic as opposed to the conventional depictions of holy magic. But maybe when they use it is supposed to be the Light! Who knows?!

Elune, the Eredar Lord of the Burning Legion?
    It'd be funny if it weren't so pathetic... No, what the heck, I'll laugh anyway.

she is neither of those three.it appears that Elune created Naaru.heck,this might explain why Naaru are looking for Illidan.probably because Elune said so.