• Metal

41 77.36%
  • System of a Down

2 3.77%

Thread: Rock or Metal?

Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Rock or Metal?

Hi friends, today I want to discuss the preference between music Rock or Metal. According to Yahoo Answers (bold mine):

ROCK MUSIC::
    Rock music is a form of popular music with a prominent vocal melody accompanied by guitar, drums, and bass. Many styles of rock music also use keyboard instruments such as organ, piano, or synthesizers. Rock music usually has a strong back beat, and often revolves around guitar, either electric or acoustic.

Rock music has its roots in 1950s-era rock and roll and rockabilly. In the late 1960s, rock music was blended with folk music to create folk rock, blues to create blues rock and with jazz, to create jazz-rock fusion, and without a time signature to create psychedelic rock. In the 1970s, rock incorporated influences from soul, funk, and latin music. Also in the 1970s, rock developed a number of subgenres, such as soft rock, heavy metal, hard rock, progressive rock, and punk rock. Rock subgenres from the 1980s included synth-rock, hardcore punk and alternative rock. In the 1990s, rock subgenres included grunge-style rock, britpop, indie rock, piano rock, and nu metal.

METAL MUSIC:
    Heavy metal (sometimes referred to simply as metal) is a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s. With roots in blues-rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, heavy, guitar-and-drums-centered sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion and fast guitar solos. The All Music Guide states that "of all rock & roll's myriad forms, heavy metal is the most extreme in terms of volume, machismo, and theatricality."

Heavy metal has long had a worldwide following of fans known as "metalheads" or "headbangers". Although early heavy metal bands such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, and Deep Purple attracted large audiences, they were often critically reviled at the time, a status common throughout the history of the genre. In the mid-1970s, Judas Priest helped spur the genre's evolution by discarding much of its blues influence; the New Wave of British Heavy Metal followed in a similar vein, fusing the music with a punk rock sensibility and an increasing emphasis on speed.

Heavy metal became broadly popular during the 1980s, when many now-widespread subgenres first evolved. Variations more aggressive and extreme than metal music of the past were mostly restricted to an underground audience; others, including glam metal and, to a lesser extent, thrash metal went on to mainstream commercial success. In recent years, styles such as nu metal have further expanded the definition of the genre.
    Where does your preference rest? I like rock better because mosh-pits during metal concerts can be really painful.

Deleted
    Metal any day of the week.

They are just totally different styles of music. It's like asking if someone prefers R&B or Vaporwave, they are different genres completely. Also nu-metal isn't a subgenre of rock like that yahoo answer suggests, it is very much so a metal subgenre, albeit the redheaded stepchild of metal.

There are plenty of good rock acts and plenty of good metal acts. I am listening to classic Genesis right now and very much so enjoying it, and afterwords I plan on listening to Black Witchery's discog. I voted metal though, obviously.

'Nuff Said

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by NotVanish View Post
    Where does your preference rest? I like rock better because mosh-pits during metal concerts can be really painful.
    Plenty of metal shows without mosh pits. Plenty of rock shows with mosh pits.

This argument is silly.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post

This argument is silly.
    Unless he's talking about how Metal Mosh Pits are just too extreme for him...he feels tougher moshing at Rock shows.

Metal all the way for me personally

I do think metal has a more widespread appeal in the form of subgenres than rock does.

Off the top of my head rock has: hard rock, alternative rock, prog rock, folk rock, classic rock, post-rock.

Metal sub genres off the top of my head: heavy metal, doom metal, black metal, death metal, melodic death metal, melodic black metal, power metal, folk metal, speed metal, war metal, prog metal, deathcore, metalcore, post-metal, thrash metal, blackened thrash, blackened death, nu-metal, slam metal.

There's a metal sub genre for everyone, rock seems a bit more limited. Doesn't make it not great, though.

Damn, Rock is not doing well. I guess that we have Nickelback to thank for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sicari View Post
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPMR6pWIoKk[video]

'Nuff Said
    I loved that movie, I would give it high marks. The film does feature lots of 'laugh out loud' moments, however, most of the jokes are sex related... The use of cameos was a highlight for this film, examples being Tim Robbins and Ben Stiller. Ultimately, the best feature of this film is the soundtrack, songs like 'Master Exploder' and 'Beelzeboss' are superb for any Tenacious D fans.

Its definitely worth a try for metal music lovers.

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post

This argument is silly.
    I would like your opinion please help select the equipment for next show (am very fragile around knees & elbows due to boner disorder):
    VS

Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Why not both?
    Defeats the point of an opinion poll, dude.

Metal.

If you don't like the pit, stay out of the pit. Unless the place is a 300 sq ft dive there'll be enough space to avoid it and if there's old school types there they'll set the boundaries of the pit and make sure it stays contained, that's the beauty of those shows is either dealing with or in the case of myself being one of those old school types who knows the unspoken rules regarding the pit and makes sure they are enforced.
    The Fresh Prince of Baudelaire

Banned at least 10 times. Don't give a fuck, going to keep saying what I want how I want to.

Eat meat. Drink water. Do cardio and burpees. The good life.

10+ Year Old Account
    I would like your opinion please help select the equipment for next show (am very fragile around knees & elbows due to boner disorder):

These are metal as fuck.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    Elvis would've been a metalhead had he lived. At 51, he would've been moshing to Master of Puppets.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-05-19 at 08:41 PM.

Blessed be the lord who gave us metal!

Metal, personally.

I don't really care for the majority of rock music post-1999 or so. Maybe early 00s was the last time I really enjoyed a rock record over half a dozen other metal offerings in that same year.

Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Metal, personally.

I don't really care for the majority of rock music post-1999 or so. Maybe early 00s was the last time I really enjoyed a rock record over half a dozen other metal offerings in that same year.
    tbh I don't think there's been a "rock" album worth listening to in at least 2 decades, unless anyone can think of any worthwile that I'm ignoring. 70's was rock's peak.

Sorry about your problem...here's my suggestion:

I don't care about these classifications at all. It's all just Rock'n'Roll.

Although I'm not sure what "rock music" is even supposed to be today, or what people consider rock in the current music landscape. Nothing of it smells like rock, that's for sure. Not a fan of contemporary Metal either for the most part. It's all just obtuse noise, or liberal degree hipster bullshit. Or both.

Quote Originally Posted by Pull My Finger View Post
    I don't care about these classifications at all. It's all just Rock'n'Roll.

Although I'm not sure what "rock music" is even supposed to be today, or what people consider rock in the current music landscape. Nothing of it smells like rock, that's for sure. Not a fan of contemporary Metal either for the most part. It's all just obtuse noise, or liberal degree hipster bullshit. Or both.
    Dad?
    /10char

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Justpassing View Post
    Why not both?
    This, emphatically this.

I have moods where metal is what I want, and I have moods where rock is what I want. I choose to have both.