View Poll Results: How much student debt do you have?

Voters
223. This poll is closed
  • None

135 60.54%
  • 0 - 10K

18 8.07%
  • 10K - 20K

22 9.87%
  • 20K - 30K

8 3.59%
  • 30K - 40K

14 6.28%
  • 40K - 50K

5 2.24%
  • 50K+

21 9.42%
Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    Deleted

How much student debt do you have?

Since we are all posting here anonymously anyway, I thought this would be an interesting question.

It's something you read a lot about on the internet these days, mostly due to millennials complaining they have to face a large debt.
    This made me wonder how much debt we are actually talking about.

So, how much student debt do you have? (Or how much expected debt if you aren't finished yet)
    Let's think in the Dollar range btw. If only to keep it simple.

Edit: I'll start with my own input: None
    I got a bachelors degree and it was fully covered by the government. All the extra costs I paid for myself with income on the side.
    Last edited by mmoce9a47a3159; 2016-05-20 at 12:45 PM.

None, payed it off.

+- zero. I don't know how high it's exactly, but my savings counter anything I could have right now. I don't pay interest on it, so I don't care about the saldo.

I'm from Germany though, people don't generally accumulate much student debt anyways and for many it's limited to 10k €, if they get the government "loan".

None.
    I was fortunate enough to live in a society that works together, not in a competition who can make the most money at the expense of others.
    I had to pay some money, but it was a sensible amount, nothing designed to make one dependent for life.
    Last edited by Noradin; 2016-05-20 at 12:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Noradin View Post
    None.
    I was fortunate enough to live in a society that works together, not in a competition who can make the most money at the expense of others.
    +1 /tenchar

None.

Practically the same as "I was fortunate enough to live in a society that works together, not in a competition who can make the most money at the expense of others."

People do take some student loans here, but it doesn't really get anywhere high to my understanding (i really don't know for sure). The thing is, I never needed to get it.

The scale you've chosen for your options suggests you aren't even thinking in the right ballpark. I'll be graduating w/ a little over 150K in debt.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Morae View Post
    None.

Practically the same as "I was fortunate enough to live in a society that works together, not in a competition who can make the most money at the expense of others."

People do take some student loans here, but it doesn't really get anywhere high to my understanding (i really don't know for sure). The thing is, I never needed to get it.
    People that earn more will always benefit from that, one way or another.

But I agree that it's great when costs like this are covered.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kreationkin View Post
    The scale you've chosen for your options suggests you aren't even thinking in the right ballpark. I'll be graduating w/ a little over 150K in debt.

Are you training to be a pilot?
    I think that debt group might be very small. You can still select 50K+ in any case.

None. Couldn't declare bankruptcy to get rid of it, so it was easier to just fake my own death.

None, which is why I don't like Bernie's plan to pay off all student debt, unless he plans to reimburse me.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

7+ Year Old Account
    Finishing my master, no dept, worked on the side since i was in high school, got some scholarships for my bachelors and for my master. happy to live in a county where education is cheap tho. I would have done something else if i had to put myself to deep in debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggrophobic View Post
    None, payed it off.
    ditto.

/10char

No personal debt. My education was fully covered by my parents. (So yeah, the Silver Spoon is real in that sense, I got an easy head-start that can justifiable called unfair) But I also had to work 17-19 after which I spent 3 years focused only on my studies and research work, and have been employed straight out of college at 22, have been either employed or doing my own thing continuously since.

My business has about 8 million euros worth of credits. Tho as I work in infrastructure/industrial that is completely normal. Most of our operations are credit financed until completion.

But I repeat. People who claim that younger generations don't have it worse off than their parents or grandparents as it comes to access to education, employment, credit and housing are disconnected from reality.
    Last edited by Mihalik; 2016-05-20 at 12:48 PM.

Deleted
    None. We barely have to pay anything for studying - and even if you take longer than you should, the fees are comparably low.

Something like ~$7K remaining. I'm in no hurry to pay it off, so I just continue paying the minimum. The interest rate on it is ~1.8% so it's basically at inflation rate and certainly much lower than any competent investing. I guess it won't be paid off until something like 2022 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Deruyter View Post
    - - - Updated - - -
    Are you training to be a pilot?
    I'm in pharmacy school. I managed to keep undergrad costs under control by a combination of work and federal grants, but that's not an option in a PharmD program. Pell grants don't apply to me anymore and although I work still, it doesn't make a dent in 50k/yr + all the associated fees, background checks, and other forms of nickel-and-diming that comes with pharmacy. I'm in an accelerated program (read: goes to school year round to be done in 3 years instead of 4). I am not overly worried about my debt as at least my degree will likely be able to pay itself off. Unless I try for a residency in which case the debt will begin to pile on and hurt.

0. Denmark. More like 10k in the positive

10+ Year Old Account
    I went to a cheap school in the years before tuition went crazy. My tuition my first year was $1,500/semester, and $2,200/semester when I left.

My parents paid that tuition, and I worked 35-40 hours per week the whole time I was in school, so I never had student debt.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

$21,000.

~$4,000 are fees/penalties

Got to use my degree in a job that required it for 2 years before being laid off.

Now I make slightly over minimum wage.

Yes, in hindsight my degree is not that marketable in my current job environment, and I could move to a different state.

Elemental Lord Lady Dragonheart's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    Amongst the Wilds, or in my Garrison... >.>
    None.

I don't have any degrees, but I have 6 certificates though. Essentially, whenever I want to learn something, I just pay for it outright and learn whatever it is that I wanted to learn from college courses.

I've considered getting a degree, but if I did it would essentially be for the fun of learning new things.
    I am both the Lady of Dusk, Vheliana Nightwing & Dark Priestess of Lust, Loreleî Legace!
    ~~ ~~
    <3 ~ I am also the ever-enticing leader of <The Coven of Dusk Desires> on Moon Guard!