10+ Year Old Account

About to pick up the game quick question

I played when the game released, got to around level 50 and quit.

I'm bored and now that I have found out there are 10 man raids I want to pick this game up again.

I don't want to buy heart of thorns until I'm closer to max level out of fear that I may not stick with the game long enough to hit max level.

If I don't buy Heart of Throns right away will I be missing anything out of the game?

Quote Originally Posted by Enforcer View Post
    If I don't buy Heart of Throns right away will I be missing anything out of the game?
    Not really; content wise it's just four maps, and a single raid with two three boss wings so far that yields no power based you couldn't get from Fractacls in vanilla GW2 (you mainly do the raid for cosmetic legendary armor, which isn't even out yet...). Feature wise, you gain access to 11 dailies that give you about thrice as much gold as the vanilla daily achievement system, a new heavy armor class, and another specialization.

TL;DR, you won't really miss out on anything by not buying HoT if you just casually play the game.

10+ Year Old Account
    Thank you for responding. I know the class comes with HoS but I'll be playing Ranger/Ele/Necro so not interested in the revenant.

You would need HoT if your primary goal is to run the raids, though, since those were added as part of HoT.

That said, if you don't have an 80 already and don't care to play revenant, you can hold off on picking up HoT for now.

What Kazela said... Without an 80, the only real thing to do with HoT is play Revenant.

10+ Year Old Account
    I will add you DO get an 80 for buying hot

10+ Year Old Account
    Afaik you don't get access to the elite specializations without HoT, so you won't be able to try druid/tempest/berserker/reaper etc. Some of these change how the classes play quite drastically.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yep, HoT unlocks specializations which bring up pretty much straight upgrades to the classic professions, some mix up the gameplay by quite a lot like tankdruid or condi warrior.
    Cod has a new campaign, new weapons, new multiplayer levels every year. Zelda has been recycling the same weapons, villains, and dungeons since the 80's. Zelda recycles enough to make cod blush. The same weapons, villains, dungeons, and princess in every single Zelda for the most part. It's almost as cheesy as bowser vs Mario round 35

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by barackopala View Post
    Yep, HoT unlocks specializations which bring up pretty much straight upgrades to the classic professions, some mix up the gameplay by quite a lot like tankdruid or condi warrior.
    Do you get to use the specializations right away or only at 80?

10+ Year Old Account
    Do you get to use the specializations right away or only at 80?
    Only at 80 and need to get extra skill points to unlock them. But again hot gives you a free 80 of your choice(it does let you test them out first

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    Only at 80 and need to get extra skill points to unlock them. But again hot gives you a free 80 of your choice(it does let you test them out first
    I actually have a free 80 =). I was hacked and the hacker leveled me a char ranger to 80. I never really experienced the game fully though so I want to do that first. II spent last night playing it and really enjoyed it. I will be playing again tonight and basically will be what I play until Overwatch on Monday. Then on and off. I'm glad I found out about raids because I would of probably never picked those games up if it wasn't for them adding them .

I just enjoy 10+ man content rather than 4 or 5 man. Really miss the old MC/BWL/AQ days :-(

10+ Year Old Account
    I actually have a free 80 =). I was hacked and the hacker leveled me a char ranger to 80. I never really experienced the game fully though so I want to do that first. II spent last night playing it and really enjoyed it. I will be playing again tonight and basically will be what I play until Overwatch on Monday. Then on and off. I'm glad I found out about raids because I would of probably never picked those games up if it wasn't for them adding them .

I just enjoy 10+ man content rather than 4 or 5 man. Really miss the old MC/BWL/AQ days :-(
    Welll another game to look at as well is ffxiv if you haven't. But good luck I have a friend in some raiding guilds but sadly no pull or I'd help you out

Quote Originally Posted by Sorrior View Post
    I will add you DO get an 80 for buying hot
    I forgot about that detail when I posted.

That said, I wouldn't call it the greatest idea to dump a brand-spanking-new player into a level 80 character. Then again, anyone with previous MMO experience should be able to pick up and play this game, even at max level, with little trouble.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kazela View Post
    I forgot about that detail when I posted.

That said, I wouldn't call it the greatest idea to dump a brand-spanking-new player into a level 80 character. Then again, anyone with previous MMO experience should be able to pick up and play this game, even at max level, with little trouble.
    That and let's be honest the game doesn't have THAT many skills. I remember when I kept a bunch of level 1 weapons around just to go instant bank and know every weapon skill before I left the tutorial area...Miss that actually...

Overall though yeah kinda true