[Blood DK] How top DK manange so much damage output ?

Hello guys,

I'm new on the 6.2 Blood DK (but not new on DK himself). I would like to know how top DK manages to have such a high DPS on log, because I am kind of low (maybe 25K / 28K dps on single target with 690 iLvl). I don't get how 40 more ilvl can push me to 70K dps on a single target encounter (let's say the Iron reaver for example).

I don't think I am THIS bad with blood DK, I am currently using this kind of "rotation" :

- Opening with Dancing Sword, a blood boil, then a DS to have enough RP to apply my diseases with Outbreak (I keep one DS stored)
    - Use blood boild when I have a blood / death rune up and using my RP in DC when I am at 80~ RP
    - If I will not get a massive spike of damage, I use my blood tap to do a DS(still keeping one in stock) OR blood boil (can't manage what to chose here) else I keep 10 charges and use them when it's needed. Same for Rune Tap and blood runes.
    - If I have a Crimson Scourge effect, I use it on Defile
    - If all my runes are depleted, Plague Leech + Outbreak to have a DS up.

I don't know if the above cycle is a good way to play blood DK, but even if it's not, I don't get why I am so low in dps. It doesn't really bother me atm, because I am not doing mythic and just started HM, but it could be important in the future, to help my raid as much as possible. And also because I am doing well my job as tank, but I would like to do more.

Thank you very much for your help.

By playing Breath of Sindragosa skillfully.
    Crimea is Ukraine!

Yeah, that's why I guessed. But some top DK still play with Defile and still manage to do a lot of damage. I don't get what's make this difference, even if I am probably less experienced (and, so, less skilled), my cycle is not that bad and I just play with the same spell ^^.

I will try BoS.

Deleted
    They are most likely running Mythic Vial + HFC dps trinket, enchanting everything for multistrike, and running BoS.

You're at 690 ilvl, you can pull 30-40k by playing correctly.

Do you have any clue of what "playing correctly" is for you ?

Btw I don't have any "good" trinket, only a 650 and 660, with no multistrike on them. Is this why I can't reach the amount of DPS you talked ?

I really want to improve my playstyle, but I still can't get what I am doing wrong.

Mechagnome
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecterion View Post
    But some top DK still play with Defile and still manage to do a lot of damage.
    No one doing "lots of damage" plays Defile.

Bottom line if you want to compete with top blood dks dps wise then you need to start getting used to playing breath.

That said, it's pretty hard to compare yourself with the top dk logs if you're sitting on 690ilvl. I wouldn't imagine you'd have the amount of multistrike to get close in terms of damage and uptime from breath. Everything else aside the gear difference is huge. Other point is that at this point of the xpac top guilds have had everything on farm for quite a while and kill times are so much faster than during early prog. Look at iron reaver, 30 second kill times etc.
    https://www.warcraftlogs.com/ranking...ght&spec=Blood

Like most classes, 4 piece tier plus class trinket makes a ridiculous difference.

Quote Originally Posted by dexx View Post
    Like most classes, 4 piece tier plus class trinket makes a ridiculous difference.
    Except you would never use 4 piece or class trinket on a blood DK to do damage...did you post in the wrong thread lol?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by snowstorm116 View Post
    Except you would never use 4 piece or class trinket on a blood DK to do damage...did you post in the wrong thread lol?
    To be fair, he was talking about "ridiculous diffirence", not specified if its negative or positive

Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    which is kind of like saying "of COURSE you can't see the unicorns, unicorns are invisible, silly."

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiju View Post
    http://i.ytimg.com/vi/0PGSs8Mgh-4/maxresdefault.jpg
    Now, feel my master's limitless power and despair!

Quote Originally Posted by Khiyone View Post
    No one doing "lots of damage" plays Defile.
    In Heroic raid I do 30k but your right I plays the Defile but for the 10% damage reduction... Dunno guess im a old skool tank that believes in more suitability then damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    In Heroic raid I do 30k but your right I plays the Defile but for the 10% damage reduction... Dunno guess im a old skool tank that believes in more suitability then damage.
    Arguably BoS gives your more survivability on several fights in HFC from the healing (especially if you can keep it up for a long time). On some fights it basically makes you invincible while it's up. The damage reduction from defile is so minimal over the course of a fight that it's basically useless. In general your job as a tank is, yes, to survive. But none of the bosses in the current tier pose enough of a threat, even on mythic (except for maybe M Tyrant as a blood dk, but defile wouldn't help more than BoS in that scenario anyway). Maximizing dps as a tank, especially as a blood DK, is pretty damn important. I've had a lot of sub 1% wipes on bosses where an extra 10-30k dps would have secured the kill.

dk tank dps now is like low compared to druid or pala but ofc bos will do huge diffrence tbh the 40 ilvl+ on the gear will make u play more for dmg than on survivability with 730+ ilvl u cant die on any fight as tank if u just play decent and use cds the right time so u just go full dmg and ignore defensive style playstyle bos can help with survivability but dont get me wrong with his gear and low ms it wont even be able to be up enough to worth to play if u have 2k+ ms u can start trying bos also go get a vial so u can at least have decent opener

Herald of the Titans
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by dexx View Post
    You only use 2 set (Shoulders and Chest)+Soc Helm+Zakuun Legs+Tyrant gloves for a Blood DK using Breath
    Sylvaeres-Azkial-Pailerth @Proudmoore

Quote Originally Posted by jinklos View Post
    Arguably BoS gives your more survivability on several fights in HFC from the healing (especially if you can keep it up for a long time). On some fights it basically makes you invincible while it's up. The damage reduction from defile is so minimal over the course of a fight that it's basically useless. In general your job as a tank is, yes, to survive. But none of the bosses in the current tier pose enough of a threat, even on mythic (except for maybe M Tyrant as a blood dk, but defile wouldn't help more than BoS in that scenario anyway). Maximizing dps as a tank, especially as a blood DK, is pretty damn important. I've had a lot of sub 1% wipes on bosses where an extra 10-30k dps would have secured the kill.
    umm my Death coil heals (with my trinket reaper's harvest, heroic version)and is my runic power dump. I do not understand why people want more then one runic power dump at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Nakotsu View Post
    umm my Death coil heals (with my trinket reaper's harvest, heroic version)and is my runic power dump. I do not understand why people want more then one runic power dump at the same time.
    Reaper's Harvest is an extremely bad trinket that shouldn't be used pretty much ever if you have any alternative within 10-15 ilvls. It offers pretty much no defensive value as most of the healing you get from death coil is overhealing and in actual quantity is quite small (not to mention it has 0 stats on it). BoS offers a runic power dump that takes up a single GCD which then allows you to spam rune abilities throughout its duration without having to waste GCDs on death coiling, all the while dealing huge damage and allowing you to be pretty much invincible if the boss is using any ability that does spell damage to the raid. But the point is the damage, the healing is simply icing on the cake. If you get the gear you need and master BoS you will do much more dps than you would without it especially considering the speed at which bosses go down these days offering you huge percentage uptime on BoS.

If your gear is absolute shit, then I suppose Defile is fine until you get more MS, but BoS is the endpoint which all blood DKs should be building towards. I think you would benefit from reading the Blood DK guide that is stickied as that will clear up any confusion you may have regarding why BoS is unquestionably the best level 100 talent in every way.

All the blood dks you see topping charts when killing trash etc are all running Breathe and two dps trinkets instead of tanking trinks. Blood dks can easily get rp and can hold breath for a really long time.