Poll: Would an expansion aimed at lower levels help extend the lifespan of WoW?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Extending the lifespan of WoW

We've come a long way since Vanilla, power-wise, and you have to wonder how much further it can go. If every new expansion means higher character levels and higher circles of power, how much longer till we have to call it enough and move on to a new game?

What would be interesting is if they found a way to create exciting new content at lower levels. How to do this? I mean, it would have to be legitimately fun to play, not feel like we were going backwards, but somehow make it feel new and exciting again to play at lower levels.

I suppose they could just start a new game, but what if... they just began a new continent (like Pandaria) but this time make it 1-60? With new quest zones, storylines, instances, even some new classes? To keep us from just switching to mains, they say those characters haven't discovered this side of the world yet, while leaving it open for that to happen at a later date.

"I Am Vengeance. I Am The Night. I Am Felfáádaern!"

10+ Year Old Account
    I can't really vote, for all three options are basically shit.

You are in general just asking for an old content expansion, rather not, just an update would be fine.
    FOMO: "Fear Of Missing Out", also commonly known as people with a mental issue of managing time and activities, many expecting others to fit into their schedule so they don't miss out on things to come. If FOMO becomes a problem for you, do seek help, it can be a very unhealthy lifestyle..

lol ~ that last one was supposed to be the silly option, and it got as many votes as the other two combined! :P

10+ Year Old Account
    A long time ago in a galaxy far, far away
    I would like a new 1 to 60 experience.
    Peace is a lie. There is only passion. Through passion I gain strength. Through strength I gain power.
    Through power I gain victory. Through victory my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
    –The Sith Code

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm not sure how long they can keep this going, but I think for a long time.
    I know for sure a lot of players would be willing to play WoW till they die (not playing all day long but playing it when they feel like to).

Which is what every single good game is meant to be. I'll always own my copy of mario 64 for instance and I play it if I feel like to.

One day they will stop updating the game. I believe. And focus on new games. What they need to do is preserve the game the same way as other video games are preserved in a gamer collection. So that we can play it when we feel like to.

Only way for it to be possible is to allow us to create our own realm or to play it locally, kind of like Minecraft where you can play on your server locally, or share it online with players joining. Communities will form and web hosters mostly will be the ones to host the realms instead Blizzard. Though as long as Blizzard exist, the IP will always belong to them and they'll likely keep the store server online forever, just that they'll stop spending money for it.
    Last edited by Cæli; 2016-05-23 at 01:31 AM.

Deleted
    They could just prune the levels and start all over, 60 being the level cap. :P

Plus, there is no reason to add content that is played at low levels only, because some people enjoy playing only their mains. A good example of content that was enjoyable both at low and max level were the classic dungeon revamps, like Shadowfang Keep and Scholomance. I enjoy them every time I level up a char and I loved running them on heroic.

Even if the levels are pruned, I doubt they would ever create zones that take you from 1 to max, say 60. Would be cool to have another continent to adventure into from level 1, like the other side of the planet or something, but they seem to put a lot of time and effort in the zones now, it would take a very long time to make them. The low level zones wouldn't be used for long, plus some people would still prefer the classic zones, it would make both continents feel "empty". The thing is to find a way to make current zones feel full again
    Last edited by mmoc985e663195; 2016-05-23 at 01:34 AM.

Deleted
    Legacy stuff is forgotten, 60 projects and their hosts are gone... Legion hype!

I chose the last option. Just because I like my existing toons and I simply don't want to start all over.

The Sargeras Follower thing seems nice too...

10+ Year Old Account
    I chose "Let's keep going!", but I'd far rather do it without any followers or champions or tables or maps or percentage bars (outside of XP bars) to fill. Personal preference I guess.
    Knowledge is power, and power corrupts. So study hard and be evil.

I don't know how long it will take Blizzard to create a continent to serve as 1-60 leveling content. It tooke them like 5+ years to create vanilla WoW.

How about a new lv 1-60 game, and call it something new ... like, oh say, Legacy or something like that. Make all the mobs have unique abilities, with some areas to be feared by even level 60's. Make it social too, and trash the cash shop. Rework the talent tree's to make 3 unique specs per class. Remove flying mounts and make ground PVP something very real, to love or be scared of. Make equipment owned a privilege and not a guaranteed right just for breathing.

Where do I sign up?

Didn't they say they were going to address the 1-?? faceroll experience at some point? its not a revamp but since people complain about blasting through the boring leveling process so fast with or without heirlooms it should help when and if they ever get around to it, I honestly don't see the point in wasting time and resources making a lot of new leveling content, plus, whats it gonna be? new kill X mobs and loot things quests? there are already enough of those

You want to extend the lifespan of a game that is over 10 years old and regardless of its current sub numbers is still the most popular MMO, gonna have to make a totally new game

The Lightbringer
    15+ Year Old Account
    I just want the new expansion to be fun and engaging. It's looking that way. This expansion had really good raiding and leveling and that's the positives I take from it. PVP balance is completely irrelevant compared to getting rid of hacking and if they never do that, PVP will continue to be dead.
    Paladin Bash has spoken.

Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post
    We've come a long way since Vanilla, power-wise, and you have to wonder how much further it can go. If every new expansion means higher character levels and higher circles of power, how much longer till we have to call it enough and move on to a new game?
    Gaining levels in cata as a healer made you worse and it sucked. Higher circles of power is nonsense because everything is that much stronger.

I've thought that if we fail in legion they could have a good segway into the death of wow and a release of a wow2, and perhaps a wc4 that takes place between wow and wow2.

Herald of the Titans SoulSoBreezy's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarklingThrush View Post

What would be interesting is if they found a way to create exciting new content at lower levels. How to do this? I mean, it would have to be legitimately fun to play, not feel like we were going backwards, but somehow make it feel new and exciting again to play at lower levels.

I suppose they could just start a new game, but what if... they just began a new continent (like Pandaria) but this time make it 1-60? With new quest zones, storylines, instances, even some new classes? To keep us from just switching to mains, they say those characters haven't discovered this side of the world yet, while leaving it open for that to happen at a later date.
    Not really an answer, but this's the framework that could allow the revisiting of previously visited content.
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...I-came-up-with!

Deleted
    There are only two options:
    Either they start from scratch and fix some of the issues WoW has and design their new game in a way to prevent dieses issues.
    OR they keep going.

A "new" 1-60 expansion would just as bad an idea as pristine realms!

7+ Year Old Account
    Instead of adding new 1-60 continent, just apply the Legion scaling to whole world. That way, zones level with you and there's much more choices for levelling - as long as it only can scale up and not down, so you can't just go to northrend as level 10 or something. Partially because amount of abilities at level X is something that affects playing and I doubt it would work well going there with just the basic abilities (AoE and utility that might be needed in these zones if the roflstomping was solved as mentioned in the interview)

Quote Originally Posted by Mahmeya View Post
    Instead of adding new 1-60 continent, just apply the Legion scaling to whole world. That way, zones level with you and there's much more choices for levelling - as long as it only can scale up and not down, so you can't just go to northrend as level 10 or something. Partially because amount of abilities at level X is something that affects playing and I doubt it would work well going there with just the basic abilities (AoE and utility that might be needed in these zones if the roflstomping was solved as mentioned in the interview)
    I would love to have zones scale with me! That would make a lot of content fun to do again.

10+ Year Old Account
    Nothing can save the leveling process anymore. Would require far more effort than Activi$ion will let them spend money on.

The story is disjointed and makes no sense from a new player's perspective. None of the six different stories they try to tell have an ending because that is exclusive to raiding/dungeons and a player isn't going to solo those at the level required for them when they are relevant.

That is on top of the fact that the stat squish, coupled with ability trim, coupled with removal of talent trees back in the day, coupled with a myriad of other problems... Leaves the leveling experience as a slow, boring, unrewarding, un-fun grind with stories that make no sense and have no resolution.

Its no wonder this game doesn't attract new players.