View Poll Results: Did the Warcraft trailer reveal too much about the plot for newcomers?

Voters
17. This poll is closed
  • Yes

4 23.53%
  • No

13 76.47%

Horde Warcraft Movie: Did the trailers show too much?

So I am very excited about the Warcraft Movie. X-men turned out to be kind of "typical" and after some Amazing comic movies and some horrible ones this year, Warcraft will be anything but "typical". However it just sort of dawned on me when watching the most recent movie trailer that they practically reveal half of the movies plot twists just in the trailer. Imagine being sombody who has never played WoW and doesnt know anything about the game. Well from watching the trailer they pretty much know about half of the plot progression right there, I mean assuming Thrall and Anduin dont join forces within the first 30 minutes, it just feels like a few major reveals were thrown away in the trailer alone. I think this is a common occurrence in 2016. Batman vs Superman practically showed the entire movie beat for beat in their trailer and saved pretty much 1 reveal for the people who went to see the movie. X-men showed that they pretty much wrote Wolverine into the script at the last second, it would of been great if it were a surprise but it just comes across as forced with the trailer plug. This will not effect whether the Warcraft movie is going to be great or not, it is just going to affect the surprise elements of the story. I think its a very rich and deep lore that this game is based on and things like "Anduin and Thrall" joining forces or even simply that Guldan is a bad guy are pretty big notes in the progression of a story.

My question is does anyone else feel like movies shouldn't reveal too much in their cinematic trailers?
    Do you feel like they revealed too much in the Warcraft trailer and why?

Personally I think a very subtle showing off of the cinematic technology and a vague plot oriented message would of worked so much nicer for people who are going into this knowing its for a video game they dont care about (there will be a few out there). Something like this cinematic from the old warcraft games, this is just Medivh talking to Thrall in a dream. Something similar could of been done with Durotan ithat showed off how awesome the movie looked and established some curiosity toward the plot. this would of been how I did the trailer but maybe not everyone out there feels the same as I do. If you don't then let me know what you think.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MW2INQu7Rs
    Last edited by pill8w; 2016-05-23 at 03:31 AM.

Deleted
    Yes. I think people won't be hyped enough to really show what faction they emphasize with - every cinema should be like blizzcon - show that you are alliance or show that you are horde. And hate all members of the enemy faction.

15+ Year Old Account
    I agree with OP i feel like i seen the movie allready just with the trailers i see on tv i just hope we have a few surprises when we go see it

10+ Year Old Account
    From what I've seen of the trailers, the cartoonish style of Warcraft doesn't transfer very well to live action film.
    'Twas a cutlass swipe or an ounce of lead
    Or a yawing hole in a battered head
    And the scuppers clogged with rotting red
    And there they lay I damn me eyes
    All lookouts clapped on Paradise
    All souls bound just contrarywise, yo ho ho and a bottle of rum!

Deleted
    Did myself a favor and only watched the first trailer.

I've said it since the first reveal of the movie: Warcraft would work best as pure CGI, the weird hybrid is going to be strange in a lot of places. My biggest concern is something else entirely though, somehow I get the feeling they tried to redeem the orcs way too early. My memory on the original lore is a bit muddy when it comes to WC1 era, but somehow it feels like they were afraid to make the orcs evil. Heck they even canceled the Draenei genocide apparently and turned Garona into Pocahontas. Not sure I like that.. the movie seems a bit too sugar-coated for me.

The average joe probably doesn't get it still though. It's fairly common knowledge by now that the more the trailer shows the better the movie sells. So no, I don't think so.

Strangely enough, revealing plot in trailers has shown to increase ticket sales.

Deleted
    Dono about you but I know the story, and dont think they showed to much at all rly. atleast I hope, if they didnt make big changes to "fit in the movie". But hey! all we can do is w8 and see =)

10+ Year Old Account
    No. I'm surprised they didn't show more races. Hoping there's Gnomes about.

7+ Year Old Account
    Yes, yes, and yes.

Movies today show way too much.

X-Men VS SUperman did that too. And guess what? There was a much lack of thrill in the movie. Seen most of it via commerical.

More movies need to be like 10 Cloverfield lane. It had like 1 commercial. Absolutely loved it

Deleted
    Are there going to be trolls on the movie?

I don't think they've shown too much as we've really only seen the same 6 scenes. This isn't like Batman vs. Superman where one trailer was literally the entire movie.

Sure they have shown more on the internet, but the trailers themselves have no shown us every single plot point, like BvS. We think it is too much because of the story and we practically know it all anyways.

Dontrike/Shadow Priest/Black Cell Faction Friend Code - 5172-0967-3866

I have only seen one trailer, and that was the one shown at PAX East since I was in the room when it played... otherwise I have been actively avoiding them in fear of basically seeing the entire movie before it hits theaters.

Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    I've said it since the first reveal of the movie: Warcraft would work best as pure CGI, the weird hybrid is going to be strange in a lot of places. My biggest concern is something else entirely though, somehow I get the feeling they tried to redeem the orcs way too early. My memory on the original lore is a bit muddy when it comes to WC1 era, but somehow it feels like they were afraid to make the orcs evil. Heck they even canceled the Draenei genocide apparently and turned Garona into Pocahontas. Not sure I like that.. the movie seems a bit too sugar-coated for me.

The average joe probably doesn't get it still though. It's fairly common knowledge by now that the more the trailer shows the better the movie sells. So no, I don't think so.
    WC1 lore has been retconned for a while now. The Frostwolves didn't participate in either the blood drinking or human slaughter.

And draenei are in the movie, so they will likely be murdered.

I always think that trailers show too much so I only watch the first 1. You can't blame anyone but yourself if you've been overexposed though.

Quote Originally Posted by tollshot View Post
    Is this a human v Orc movie. I haven't seen many, if any, of the other azrothian races.
    There's dwarves, high elves and draenei in the film (but they're all minor appearances). Magni Bronzebeard makes an appearance in the film as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    I don't think so.

I kind of wanted to see ogres and trolls in the movie, seeing as we've seen two other Alliance races (dwarves and high elves).

Quote Originally Posted by Djalil View Post
    They filmed some minor troll scenes but they didnt make it to the final cut. Maybe in the extended edition if we ever get one.