Thread: [TV] Preacher

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by jdbond592 View Post
    To be honest, that Eugene is better off, dead. What an annoying prick.
    So yeah I thought I'd still use the tags since this thread has no spoiler warning in the title. Anyways, small spoilers from the latest episode and the comics...

Juhz. Vunh. UHFUH! Arseface is a big character in the comics. Jesse (apparently) might have sent him to Hell, but that doesn't mean he's dead. It's pretty damn sure Arseface is coming back if that's where he is, one way or another, seeing as though these episodes have only been prequels to the story in the comics. It would be weird if they'd kill him off already.

But yeah, amazing episode.
    Last edited by mmoc3ff0cc8be0; 2016-07-05 at 06:12 AM.

When they almost had her restrained then the vamp walks in and shoots her I lost it. Fantastic scene. Also glad that they told everyone what it was inside him early on(probably pointless to drag it out because I'm sure comic fans already know.)

Is it true it's watered down worse than walking dead was?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    Is it true it's watered down worse than walking dead was?
    If by "watered down" you mean different from the graphic novels, while at the same time no less violent, dramatic or entertaining, then sure. It's different, because it's a prequel to them, and most likely some things will, indeed, go a very different route.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    If by "watered down" you mean different from the graphic novels, while at the same time no less violent, dramatic or entertaining, then sure. It's different, because it's a prequel to them, and most likely some things will, indeed, go a very different route.
    So it's not social justice warrior garbage that I'd expect from a kretin like Seth rogen?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by satimy View Post
    So it's not social justice warrior garbage that I'd expect from a kretin like Seth rogen?
    Well, I don't know about other people, but I for one haven't really felt any such vibes. Not yet, anyway.

So far this show is slowly turning into one my favorites. Every episode I like it more and more. Especially after that last episode. The first part in the hotel was awesome, and then that ending with Eugene... Tulip is really the only character that I don't like all that much, but she's got her moments. Cassidy is freakin brilliant though. Joe Gilgun is easily one of my favorite actors though, ever since Misfits. Cassidy is so much like Rudy was too, so it's really cool to see him on an american tv show doing the things he gets to do on Preacher.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by grandpab View Post
    So far this show is slowly turning into one my favorites. Every episode I like it more and more. Especially after that last episode. The first part in the hotel was awesome, and then that ending with Eugene... Tulip is really the only character that I don't like all that much, but she's got her moments. Cassidy is freakin brilliant though. Joe Gilgun is easily one of my favorite actors though, ever since Misfits. Cassidy is so much like Rudy was too, so it's really cool to see him on an american tv show doing the things he gets to do on Preacher.
    Yeah, I know a lot of people hated Rudy because they only saw him as a poor replacement for Nathan but I really liked him on Misfits and was really happy when I read he was cast in this. He has been just as great as I hoped he would be.

New episode was great but looks like things are about to get crazy starting next week (well more crazy then usual).

Terrible show just another Flash/Arrow that have good as nothing in commen with the comics.

Herald of the Titans BarelyLegalBear's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Miyagie View Post
    Terrible show just another Flash/Arrow that have good as nothing in commen with the comics.
    It'd be stupid if it were just like the comics. What's the point in watching it if it were exactly the same as the comics?

I was really hoping we were gonna get a shot of Eugene stuck in hell this episode. It almost started to head that direction, but then it didn't.

The Cassidy and Jesse interactions were great as always.

Jesse's starting to be quite the dick though. Is that his personality in the comics, is he generally a good guy, or does his personality go back and forth a ton? Sometimes he seems regretful of his actions and like he wants to be a better man, but other times he seems too angry to even keep a level head and it wipes away anything good he's done. Plus he's got that twisted notion about gods plan and how he's going to carry it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Stark View Post
    It'd be stupid if it were just like the comics. What's the point in watching it if it were exactly the same as the comics?
    Whats the point in watching Sin City, 300 or V for Vendeddat they are like the comics and since i red all comics its pointsless for me to watch the movies i dont want to be stupid...

I was really hoping we were gonna get a shot of Eugene stuck in hell this episode. It almost started to head that direction, but then it didn't.

Jesse's starting to be quite the dick though. Is that his personality in the comics, is he generally a good guy, or does his personality go back and forth a ton? Sometimes he seems regretful of his actions and like he wants to be a better man, but other times he seems too angry to even keep a level head and it wipes away anything good he's done. Plus he's got that twisted notion about gods plan and how he's going to carry it out.
    I dont think he got the same backstory as in the comics so John Wayne (imaginary fatherfigur) is missing to keep him on track.
    Last edited by Miyagie; 2016-07-11 at 06:53 PM.

From what I've heard he isn't, but the first season is being treated more like a prequel to the comics it seems.

That's, like, your opinion man.

The only thing I don't like about it is that Cassidy keeps bagging on the big lebowski. Other than that it's pretty great.

Quote Originally Posted by Sydänyö View Post
    I wish people would stop calling it a prequel. it is a totally different storyline, not a prequel. Maybe a prequel to the overall plot of hunting god but otherwise it is little to nothing like the Comic. It is completely out of wack and characters are drastically off. It is best to think of it like walking dead, a completely different universe that has some of the same characters and a few character features.

- - - Updated - - -

He's mainly badass all the time in the comics with a little guidance. mostly good guy. In the show he comes off way whiney and brooding.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoldor View Post
    I wish people would stop calling it a prequel. it is a totally different storyline, not a prequel

Prequel, preamble, intro. Call it what you will.

Maybe a prequel to the overall plot of hunting god but otherwise it is little to nothing like the Comic. It is completely out of wack and characters are drastically off. It is best to think of it like walking dead, a completely different universe that has some of the same characters and a few character features.
    They're called adaptations for a reason. The graphic novels aren't a script. They're the inspiration.

He's mainly badass all the time in the comics with a little guidance. mostly good guy. In the show he comes off way whiney and brooding.
    Yeah, that's most likely because it's the prequel, preamble, intro to the character. He's not Jesse yet. We get to look at what makes him who he will become.

I don't care what Rogen says it is, it is his vision, but it is completely alternate universe if you've read the comics. He gets Genesis and destroys the town in that moment. Tulip isn't vengence hunting some old score buddy, he doesn't even know Cass, the order of characters entering the story is all out of flux.

It is an adaptation, but not a prequel, prequel means something Rogen doesn't understand. He isn't Kirkman the creator, he's some guy who bought it, Rogen doesn't get to claim this is the prequel, that would be the job of Garth Ennis. Jesse's dad was not a preacher, his mother's side was the one with church in it, his dad's side was all badass War Vets. It is not a prequel, despite how Rogen and Goldberg want to spin it, to attempt to appease comic fans. They should never have called it that, it is an adaptation using characters, themes and some plot devices and nothing more. Essentially exactly like Walking Dead and how Kirkman views it.

Deleted
    Both Ennis and Dillon are executive producers on the show, so if it wasn't to their liking, I'm thinking they would've walked by now. Also, I'm kind of missing the point here... The show seems to be a critical success, 89% critics 88% audience so far on Rotten, 8.5/10 on IMDb, 76 metascore 8.0 user score on metacritic. Got picked up for a second season pretty fast. What's there not to like? Because it's different from the graphic novels? OK, let's say that it is. Now what?

It's still going to mirror some events in the comic books, and in relation to those, the first season is still a prequel, or an intro.

Deleted
    Try to not compare between media with any expectations, at least not for comics. It is an extremely bad habit. For example, almost every TV or movie that is Western comic book inspired has been technically an adaptation and is significantly to very far away from the source.

Comics are almost cost-free static pictures that freeze expression, freeze any landscape or situation, where the story can be extremely broad, covering a huge amount of scenarios, plus pull in a large variety of characters and even worlds. Things are made even more complicated since most comics are fantasy or sci-fi based, often creating worlds that are extremely difficult to replicate in other media.

TV, and movies especially, do not have these luxuries. They have to worry about continuity, scope, greatly minimize casting, creating an atmosphere with far more sophistication than a handful of paints - lighting, music, props, camera work, CGI, editing, stunts where people are taking great personal risk, time, cost, etc. etc. etc.

In addition, for you to even begin to compare Preacher to the mind-numbing, stereotypical, long-running, often little kiddie series tuned for certain kinds of super bored nerds with a fixation for brightly colored spandex costumes of "Flash/Arrow", shows you know nothing of this TV show ...
    Last edited by mmoc83df313720; 2016-07-12 at 04:29 AM.