Page 1 of 3
LastLast

glory to the shal'dorei

lyleth lunastre for the new leader of the nightborne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNTt9iM8R0

3:30
    Last edited by Rhlor; 2016-05-19 at 11:01 PM.

I'm loving Suramar already. Gosh darn, it looks awesome! I can't imagine how great Quel'thalas or just Silvermoon would look if Blizzard had a reason to give them a full update. Especially that huge harbor in Suramar, so cool.

I hope they get some contact with the Blood Elves or Night Elves. They need some cool interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Rhlor View Post
    lyleth lunastre for the new leader of the nightborne

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVNTt9iM8R0

3:30
    haha yes, I like that. Boy it feels nice to have NElves get something nice. 14 years of whipping boys, no lore development ... as much as I love druids, it was painful to see literally the only thing that stood out about them was their nature expertise.

And for a person who followed the lore, i was like, why on earth don't we get to see or get some of the ancient grandeur back into their narrative? even 1 city -- I thought it would be lovely, i quite liked the pre-sundering Elven story, before all the craziness it sounded amazing, I thought it would be cool to have that side of them available also.

imagine my disappointment looking all throughout wow's lifetime and seeing almost no development to the night elves, teased with ruins great and small that only hinted of what was and what might have been. A group that were introduced as badass ancients, with deep mystery, wonder and hidden knowledge and facets in WC3 just waiting to come out in future blizzard games, instead turned into just watching them suck so bad in WoW look lame and come off as sillies no player had any respect or desire much off. Then the highborne of Cata was like throwing me a bone, it promised much and delivered nothing.

But this almost makes up for all of it, still it's only 1 city, and it's only 1 group. Night elves add a substantial arcane element in the nightborne, but will it be enough? Should be enough for them to kicksstart a revival, building up instead of fading out. But only if the city doesn't get nuked by the legion and they can fix the nightwell instead of blizz destroying it.
    Last edited by ravenmoon; 2016-05-19 at 11:54 PM.

Elemental Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ravenmoon View Post
    haha yes, I like that. Boy it feels nice to have NElves get something nice. 14 years of whipping boys, no lore development ... as much as I love druids, it was painful to see literally the only thing that stood out about them was their nature expertise.

And for a person who followed the lore, i was like, why on earth don't we get to see or get some of the ancient grandeur back into their narrative? even 1 city -- I thought it would be lovely, i quite liked the pre-sundering Elven story, before all the craziness it sounded amazing, I thought it would be cool to have that side of them available also.

imagine my disappointment looking all throughout wow's lifetime and seeing almost no development to the night elves, teased with ruins great and small that only hinted of what was and what might have been. A group that were introduced as badass ancients, with deep mystery, wonder and hidden knowledge and facets in WC3 just waiting to come out in future blizzard games, instead turned into just watching them suck so bad in WoW look lame and come off as sillies no player had any respect or desire much off. Then the highborne of Cata was like throwing me a bone, it promised much and delivered nothing.

But this almost makes up for all of it, still it's only 1 city, and it's only 1 group. Night elves add a substantial arcane element in the nightborne, but will it be enough? Should be enough for them to kicksstart a revival, building up instead of fading out. But only if the city doesn't get nuked by the legion and they can fix the nightwell instead of blizz destroying it.
    I hope it gets fixed, such beauty would be a waste if they will destroy it imo.
    Thing that I miss in all this are characters such as Tyrande? She could have a cool hook with Suramar of her past.

Only 1 city and only 1 group is a massive understatement. For one, the city is gi-fucking-normous. Like, fully fleshed out Silvermoon x 10. Also, Suramar questing reveals a lot about the politics and groups within the Nightborne to super great depth, TBH it feels like they actually got some real storywriters to get on board with the whole Suramar campaign. It's too good to be WoW.

Quote Originally Posted by TheLoadbearer View Post
    I'm loving Suramar already. Gosh darn, it looks awesome! I can't imagine how great Quel'thalas or just Silvermoon would look if Blizzard had a reason to give them a full update. Especially that huge harbor in Suramar, so cool.

I hope they get some contact with the Blood Elves or Night Elves. They need some cool interaction.
    Funny you mention Harbor and Silvermoon in the same sentence. Always seemed so strange such a massive and glorious city right on the coast has no harbor, or ships for that matter. A great Blood Elven harbor with big elf boats would look glorious, like the Grey Havens of LOTR.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    Only 1 city and only 1 group is a massive understatement. For one, the city is gi-fucking-normous. Like, fully fleshed out Silvermoon x 10. Also, Suramar questing reveals a lot about the politics and groups within the Nightborne to super great depth, TBH it feels like they actually got some real storywriters to get on board with the whole Suramar campaign. It's too good to be WoW.
    Stop Shoc, I can't take it anymore.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Humbugged View Post
    Funny you mention Harbor and Silvermoon in the same sentence. Always seemed so strange such a massive and glorious city right on the coast has no harbor, or ships for that matter. A great Blood Elven harbor with big elf boats would look glorious, like the Grey Havens of LOTR.
    Especially since the Sunwell is on an island.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Magnus View Post
    Especially since the Sunwell is on an island.
    Was that a minor retcon? Never really bothered me but since we're discussing it, it definitely wasn't an island in WC3. How would the scourge have marched there?

- - - Updated - - -

SMC does in lore have a harbor, I think. If not, there's the anchorage just a stone's throw to the south. And the blood elves have a navy, which we see represented in lots of places. SoO. IoT. North of Northrend. Other places.

It actually has lorewise, you can see it in the chronicles. Though the focus of the pic is on Quel'danas.

http://wow.gamepedia.com/File:Chroni...l%27Thalas.jpg
    Last edited by Combatbutler; 2016-05-20 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Magistrate View Post
    SMC does in lore have a harbor, I think. If not, there's the anchorage just a stone's throw to the south. And the blood elves have a navy, which we see represented in lots of places. SoO. IoT. North of Northrend. Other places.
    I knew they had a navy. Always wondered where it came from :P. I know Isle of Quel'Danas has a naval port.

Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    It actually has lorewise, you can see it in the chronicles.

That looks too epic.

That looks too epic.
    Yeah the ingame representation simply can't compare.

Yeah the ingame representation simply can't compare.
    All the cities in the artwork just look ridiculously high fantasy. If only they had that kind of representation in WoW.

Judging from all the news of integers increasing like gold cap and mob HP, sounds like Blizzard did a major upgrade of their engine. If Suramar is anything to go by, here's hoping they can do greater things to environment design in the future.

developers said the shaldorei are a different race of elves

I support shaldorei as night elves sub race. but they are not night elves are shaldorei

Quote Originally Posted by shoc View Post
    yeah, I am very glad about that. I'm also glad they went huge on suramar too, the description of pre-sundering night elven cities are amazing, if you add that chronicles picture of Zin'Azshari, try to imagine what Vashj'ir and Eldre'thalas looked like, they're supposed to be ahead of everything modern.

Saying that Silvermoon will get an update at some point as it is half in ruins. But for the night elves, they've whittled them down so much in the lore inflicting them with heavy losses throughout wow even in Legion, Well of eternity gone, most of the groups nearly gone, i'm feeling or thinking this might be their pay day. They've definitely needed some refreshing, and why do completely new stuff when you can draw from great existing lore you never got to show.

Present it in a cool way, rather than give normal night elven models, give a slightly modified sub-race version like they do with relevant races every expansion. Give it a kick ass story, and there you go, it almost makes up for 14 years of neglect.

Still even with a prominent arcane wing of nightborne, and demon hunters, I think this probably brings the night elves back to life, with this I can see them growing and building again, especially after the legion losses.

Notice also, with the Well of ETernitiy virtually gone and a world thing not night elf thing, all of a sudden we get night well that needs cleasnsing, similar to the sunwell, notice the opposite themes too.

Dalaran gone neutral again, and now the night elves gain proper arcane mastery in the nightborne enough to counter it's blood elf polar opposite - no more laughing at nelven magic casters. But it balances the factions in a way. Stormwind humans are countered by Forsaken,,it's fitting.

When you also look at night elves being only portrayed as tree huggers, they were in need of a strengthening and broadening of their image - now you can add great spell casters, strong melee combatants (DHs) to the nature loving druids, and the amazonian female warrior/hunter priestesses. Compare that to the blood elves also with DH melee combatants, Farstriders, Magisters, Blood Knights, nice societal complexities with High Elves, Kirin'Tor, Wretched, Darkfallen, San'layn, Fel elves sub-race, you find out that actually night elves were a lot more restricted. They really do need this.

- - - Updated - - -

Sunsail Anchorage

developers said the shaldorei are a different race of elves

I support shaldorei as night elves sub race. but they are not night elves are shaldorei
    /they meant a different race of night elves - as in a sub-race. Blizzard do this all the time. Shal i think translates to night.

eg. All Quel'dorei before the sundering were Kal'dorei - so you could call them Quel'dorei Kal'dorei as opposed to just Kal'dorei - different groups because of their society would also add changes to their names as they developed. Shen'drelar for instances. We see Quel'dorei high elves become Sin'dorei Quel'dorei. The night elves of Suramar called themselves Shal'dorei - making them Shal'dorei Kal'dorei reflecting the change.

Sunsail Anchorage
    Yeah I know about that :P

- - - Updated - - -

/they meant a different race of night elves - as in a sub-race. Blizzard do this all the time. Shal i think translates to night.

eg. All Quel'dorei before the sundering were Kal'dorei - so you could call them Quel'dorei Kal'dorei as opposed to just Kal'dorei - different groups because of their society would also add changes to their names as they developed. Shen'drelar for instances. We see Quel'dorei high elves become Sin'dorei Quel'dorei. The night elves of Suramar called themselves Shal'dorei - making them Shal'dorei Kal'dorei reflecting the change.
    So Kal'dorei being the "Mother race" of elvenkind basically. They are the direct descendant of Dark Trolls. Whereas previously the Kal'dorei split into 2 separate races, Legion is establishing they actually split into 3 - Kal'dorei, Quel'dorei and Shal'dorei. Interesting stuff.

For the people on beta - Do Shal'dorei have anything to say about reuniting with NEs and BEs or did they kinda sorta always knew they existed?

It actually has lorewise, you can see it in the chronicles. Though the focus of the pic is on Quel'danas.

I thought that picture was of Zin'Azshari - although I did wonder why it was on the heading of the section of the high elves, previously when the image was released it was quoted as being a depiction of Zin'Azshari

Looking closerly at it in Chronicles, it looks more like SIlvermoon City as High Elves not Blood Elves - i.e. Undamaged, with the blue, and it's also on the sea ... slthough that could be the Well of Eternity - Zin'Azshari was not near a sea.

AS Silvermoon, I can probably say this is what blizzard is going to try and make the city look like once they release the fully repaired version. However it could be another NElven city.

shal=shadow