Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ...
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Xirrohon View Post
    Oh yea, the B12 argument good one. What else? you understand that even people that eat meat can be B12 deficient?
    It's like you're failing to understand the context of the situation. The b12 argument is especially pertinent with regards to this case specifically. Nepal is a region with very low b12 in their diets. Combined with the shitty logistics involved, and a non-typical iron requirement for climbers... it just makes you look foolish. BTW, the research and data is there. A vegan diet is not as healthy as a healthy balanced diet. Please spare me the study that compares health conscious vegans to the average american because I'm not interested in comparing any health conscious group to a group that is by and large not health conscious. It just makes you look as if you lack any and all critical thinking skills.

Quote Originally Posted by l33t View Post
    If only some humans would continue evolving into a state when not only they can eat whatever the fk they want, but also being silent about it and not torturing another people who do not share their views every day, every hour.
    I agree. Literally eat whatever the fk you want. Early humans were scavengers. Meat, plants, anything.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fojos View Post
    No, that's not how it works. Without supplements we need to eat a mix from both kingdoms.
    You can survive well on a meat only diet as well as a plant only diet. You will live longer on a mixture of both. If you eat plant only or meat only, you will be deficient in some areas. At the end of the day, you can eat whatever the fuck you want. Humans did not evolve for any specific thing. That's not how evolution works. Humans were not designed or created. They were not built with the idea that they would be eating any specific diet. We evolved as scavengers. Scavengers eat almost anything. And now that we live in a modern technological industrial world, we have entirely escaped the grasp of nature and can eat whatever the fuck you want to eat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    The DNC is a private organization, and they're free to "collaborate" to elect whoever they like to the leadership of their party. There's literally nothing illegal or shady about it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jessicka View Post
    There is absolutely no evidence to suggest diet had anything to do with it. Others died, and a lot more got sick. It sounds a lot more like a grossly mismanaged climb than anything else.
    It doesn't even have to be mismanaged. One of the catalysts of the 2008 K2 disaster, was the sirdar of the Pakistani high altitude porters coming down with altitude sickness while in the last camp before the summit. He was the most experienced of the HAP's and had been to K2 before, so it was simply rotten luck that it was him who got hit with it.

serious question slightly off topic, but if we are not allowed to kill chickens and cows etc...what do we do with them? are we supposed to supply them with food ourselves out of our own pocket? ruining our financial positions? wouldn't things be worse off because we then have to simply have farms dedicated to cows wandering around eating for the rest of their lives? and if we don't feed them is extinction allowed in a vegan's mindset or do we meat eaters get then accused of neglect also.

I had a run in with some vegans recently and they don't want to hear anything except their own ranting. its a shame because of all the cultures in the world who actually do live modestly without affecting others and still consume both meat and plants are the Amish. don't see them ramming their views down other peoples throats.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Haidaes View Post
    My question as well.

Also why are people so insistent on climbing that damn rock..? The cost and danger along with barely any fame. I just don't get it, it's probably not even worth the usual "nothing of value was lost" comment.
    it's basically suicide without the risk of going to hell if they believe in heaven
    -Proffesional Necromancer-

Quote Originally Posted by Ripster42 View Post
    It's like you're failing to understand the context of the situation. The b12 argument is especially pertinent with regards to this case specifically. Nepal is a region with very low b12 in their diets. Combined with the shitty logistics involved, and a non-typical iron requirement for climbers... it just makes you look foolish. BTW, the research and data is there. A vegan diet is not as healthy as a healthy balanced diet. Please spare me the study that compares health conscious vegans to the average american because I'm not interested in comparing any health conscious group to a group that is by and large not health conscious. It just makes you look as if you lack any and all critical thinking skills.
    Sigh... youre a fool

Also, I guess you missed my post showing a Vegan that climbed Everest in 2014. So... why is B12 pertinent? And you talk about Nepal, a country where nearly everyone are vegetarians and thats where all of the Sherpas are from and they dont use O2 when they climb. So again... How is B12 pertinent?

There are studies done studying the same group of people for 50+ years showing how vegetarians, not even vegan have less chronic disease, heart attacks, nearly no diabetes. Another study just came out in Holland, showing the same thing. Its not my fault you dont want to accept the information. Thats fine if you dont want to change your diet, but dont talking like the evidence isnt there because it clearly there. And these are studies done through independent research, not some BS study funded by the Milk, Egg, Dairy industry.

Seriously, you picked the wrong person to pick a fight with about this, I will make you look like a fool if you really want to go down that road.
    Last edited by Xirrohon; 2016-05-25 at 09:49 PM.

Sigh... youre a fool

Also, I guess you missed my post showing a Vegan that climbed Everest in 2014. So... why is B12 pertinent? And you talk about Nepal, a country where nearly everyone are vegetarians and thats where all of the Sherpas are from and they dont use O2 when they climb. So again... How is B12 pertinent?

There are studies done studying the same group of people for 50+ years showing how vegetarians, not even vegan have less chronic disease, heart attacks, nearly no diabetes. Another study just came out in Holland, showing the same thing. Its not my fault you dont want to accept the information. Thats fine if you dont want to change your diet, but dont talking like the evidence isnt there because it clearly there. And these are studies done through independent research, not some BS study funded by the Milk, Egg, Dairy industry.

Seriously, you picked the wrong person to pick a fight with about this, I will make you look like a fool if you really want to go down that road.
    Vegetarian is not vegan. They're not really even close as to the challenges they pose. And btw, many in nepal are "vegetarian" in the sense that they won't eat meat that's been raised strictly for its meat, not that they don't ever eat meat. And it's not unknown to "walk the yaks close to a cliff," as it has been put. And again, vegetarian is not vegan. I'm again, not asserting that her diet definitely did have an effect, just that it's foolish to assume, a priori, that it didn't, especially when there are mechanisms that could cause a vegan diet in a logistics limited situation to have an adverse effect.

It's not me being foolish, just you conflating vegan and vegetarian and lacking critical thinking.

Three of the four people who died weren't vegan, and their diet of red meat didn't save them. Two others are still missing, which on Everest more than likely means they're dead as well.

The biggest contributing factor to their deaths was likely the crowd. Everest has been closed for two years due to poor weather, and now that's it's reopened, it's being flooded with climbers. This creates queues throughout the trek up and down. You get to choose between standing in place and developing frostbite, or burning through your oxygen reserves by moving around to keep your blood flowing.

There are studies done studying the same group of people for 50+ years showing how vegetarians, not even vegan have less chronic disease, heart attacks, nearly no diabetes. Another study just came out in Holland, showing the same thing. Its not my fault you dont want to accept the information.
    There is no substantial meta-analysis showing that vegetarians live well because of the diet. The only diet that can claim this at the moment is the mediterranean.

The same examples you are using could be claimed for LCHF as well, and in both of the cases it's not the diet itself, it's just that these people are on average more thin. Because in the control they take all kinds of people, and nowadays it's very common to eat junk food all the time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Invrlose View Post
    I agree. Literally eat whatever the fk you want. Early humans were scavengers. Meat, plants, anything.

- - - Updated - - -

You can survive well on a meat only diet as well as a plant only diet. You will live longer on a mixture of both. If you eat plant only or meat only, you will be deficient in some areas. At the end of the day, you can eat whatever the fuck you want. Humans did not evolve for any specific thing. That's not how evolution works. Humans were not designed or created. They were not built with the idea that they would be eating any specific diet. We evolved as scavengers. Scavengers eat almost anything. And now that we live in a modern technological industrial world, we have entirely escaped the grasp of nature and can eat whatever the fuck you want to eat.
    And we are not the same as early humans. Yes, you can survive on just one part, hell, you can survive just eating rice and drinking water, but will be much more likely to have problems and much more likely to die early.
    Last edited by Fojos; 2016-05-26 at 08:41 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    I hate vegans as much as the next internet user, but this headline could just as easily say "3 meat eaters among 4 dead as vegan reaches summit of everest" (from what I gather reading the story on my phone a few days ago, they had hit summit and were descending.)

Given what she was going to do, she (among with the others) would have been keeping proper track of their diets to ensure correct nutrition, it's not like the other 3 were chomping bacon sandwiches every 10 minutes either.

edit: she may have been descending having peaked at camp 4, still, further up the mountain that probably everyone in this thread
    Last edited by Rixis; 2016-05-26 at 08:44 AM.

Regardless of what has been said here. A trip to Nepal/Tibet/Bhutan is very much worth your time and money. As long as you stay along established trekking route, there should plenty of guest houses and mountain lodges along the way. Lodging ranges from $10 to $25 a night. Meals range from $2 - $5 per meal. Normally you can choose between continental, Chinese, Indian, or local cuisine. No camping on hard ground and dining on ramen. Unless you want to.

I recommend you fly through China and not India. Indian’s immigration can be messy. You will need traveler’s insurance also. Don’t go cheap. You never know when they may need to bring a helicopter to get you out of some remote place. You want to make sure that the insurance cover that.

She ran out of air telling sherpas that she's vegan.

I am Murloc!
    10+ Year Old Account
    So a bunch of meat eaters tried to climb Everest with a self-righteous asshole and they all died?

Quote Originally Posted by Vanyali View Post
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altitude_sickness

Diet has fuck-all to do with it.

It's more a case of people too damn stupid to take oxygen to mt. everest when you really really reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally need to do so.
    Not taking oxygen is part of the *point* of mountain climbing. Otherwise just take a lift to the top while you're at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yunzi View Post
    Not taking oxygen is part of the *point* of mountain climbing. Otherwise just take a lift to the top while you're at it.
    Not on Everest. That would be how you commit suicide.

There's a reason that even with Oxygen you can stay maybe 4 hours before you better be off the summit, including the hiking time.

What do you think people living in the area eat as staple foods ?

Generally speaking, outside of the Western world and rather recent times, the bulk of the population eat relatively little meat. They are not vegans or vegetarians, but their diet certainly looks like it for most of the week, if not the year.

(This said, if I remember correctly, dairy products such as butter are very important in the thibetan fare)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lonely zergling View Post
    This mount everest "mass" tourism is just horrible.
    How so? Less fools in the world with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeerWolf View Post
    Lesson learnt, I've proceeded to make this:

Pussy, why dont you try putting some meat it. Lightweight. =D

i laughed so hard at the title. Other than that I don't think she being vegan has anything to do with altitude. then again still funny. can do anything. dead. well she proved they can die.

Quote Originally Posted by sarahtasher View Post
    What do you think people living in the area eat as staple foods ?

Generally speaking, outside of the Western world and rather recent times, the bulk of the population eat relatively little meat. They are not vegans or vegetarians, but their diet certainly looks like it for most of the week, if not the year.

(This said, if I remember correctly, dairy products such as butter are very important in the thibetan fare)
    Best apple pie I ever had (my wife agree) was made with Yak's butter. The fact that we were eating at elevation of 5,500 m after 6 hours of hiking may have something to do with the way we feel.