Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    I leveled them by hitting those blasted lands mobs while watching a movie. So much depth yo!

So you didn't like having to work for something?
    If only I could "work" the afk way in my real job aswell. That would be sweet.
    Last edited by zorkuus; 2016-05-24 at 11:16 AM.

combat skills were shit. good riddance to them.

As a warrior on nostalrius, it wasn't fun getting a weapon only to wait a few hours of grinding because the last time you used a 1 handed axe was at lvl 16.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jurassic4LIFE View Post
    Thoughts? [/B]
    Combat skills was just autoattacking for a few hours. If you didn't have combat skills maxed out by the time your weapon dropped, the entire raid just laughed at you. But do tell, how is it "work" to autoattack? So yeah, sounds like a stupid idea to bring it back.

The only problem with removing weapon skills was they didn't do it before they released Vanilla.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Wow never felt quite as immersive as when I was grinding grey mobs with a grey quality polearm for hours.

Deleted
    So how does standing at the shamans in Shadowmoon Valley for hours add anything to the game?
    Weapon proficiency was tedious at best.

Deleted
    Although of course you're looking past the fact, that it is implied we fight stronger foes each expansion.. Meaning Blizzard would raise the Combat Skill level every expansion.. The exact same way Professions are.. Or even, the same way they used to.

So then I beg the question, why do you all despise this mechanic so much? Why do you think it was bad? Or meaningless?
    Because in the mother of all RPGs, Dungeons & Dragons, there are no weapon skills. You have a base attack bonus, and weapon proficiencies. You can add some bonuses on top via feats (corresponding roughly to WoW's talents), but that's it. If you are proficient with a weapon, you can use it to maximum effect. If you are not... you can't use it.

WoW is not even an RPG anymore in so many aspects, why should it emulate something totally useless?

As a player since just before the launch of Wrath, I was completely let down to see that Combat Skills had been removed when Cataclysm hit.

Casualization is real, and it started there.

BUT, I personally think Blizzard should BRING THEM BACK!

I really liked having to work for my specific weapon drop, rather than having any weapon my class can use be immediately good enough. Combat skills brought a sense of character to your character.

You're a warrior... You can use Axes, Maces, and Swords... BUT you have to MASTER all of them to truly be able to use them. Many people preferred of course to focus in on one weapon type over another, and you know what that brought?

LONGEVITY! I remember so many times I'd have to re-run raids because my weapon would either drop and be won by somebody else, or it didn't drop at all. Here was the cool thing though!

As a Blood DK (Used to be DPS) I used Two-Handed Axes, and I was almost experienced with the Maces. So when I ran raids and saw 2-Handed Swords dropping, and I couldn't use them, it left me feeling like I was still inexperienced, and that I had more to do.

I could go back and grind out my sword skill in my spare time, or I could re-run this raid until I got my kickass Axe. I of course did both, but barely, because I was too busy leveling alts. So re-running the raids it was!
    I know a ton of people HATE the Combat Skills, but I have no problem calling them casuals, even more so than I am.. ( And I'm pretty casual!)

Thoughts?
    You will be smacking mobs with your artifact weapon to level it. It's essentially the same mechanic.

It might be cool if it added things like unique animations. To where someone with a max skill just had flat cooler apperance in combat. AKA cosmetic. So if you really loved swords and worked on your sword skills you looked flasher when using them rather than when you picked up a mace (although this gets funky with xmog).

But forced skills that determined hit and percentage of damage was god awful and lead to just afk auto attack situations so people could use a BiS weapon.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Jurassic indeed...

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

As a player since just before the launch of Wrath, I was completely let down to see that Combat Skills had been removed when Cataclysm hit.

Casualization is real, and it started there.

BUT, I personally think Blizzard should BRING THEM BACK!

I really liked having to work for my specific weapon drop, rather than having any weapon my class can use be immediately good enough. Combat skills brought a sense of character to your character.

You're a warrior... You can use Axes, Maces, and Swords... BUT you have to MASTER all of them to truly be able to use them. Many people preferred of course to focus in on one weapon type over another, and you know what that brought?

LONGEVITY! I remember so many times I'd have to re-run raids because my weapon would either drop and be won by somebody else, or it didn't drop at all. Here was the cool thing though!

As a Blood DK (Used to be DPS) I used Two-Handed Axes, and I was almost experienced with the Maces. So when I ran raids and saw 2-Handed Swords dropping, and I couldn't use them, it left me feeling like I was still inexperienced, and that I had more to do.

I could go back and grind out my sword skill in my spare time, or I could re-run this raid until I got my kickass Axe. I of course did both, but barely, because I was too busy leveling alts. So re-running the raids it was!
    I know a ton of people HATE the Combat Skills, but I have no problem calling them casuals, even more so than I am.. ( And I'm pretty casual!)

Thoughts?
    "I can't wait to swing on a mob for 6 hours so I can finally use my BiS weapon!" -nobody, ever

OP you are out of your mind. I hated grinding weapon specs. There is literally zero fun or originality to that process.

You grow as you level, why have to go back at max level to train up how to use an Axe instead of a Sword. Dumb.

Deleted
    Everyone who cared leveled it on those immortal mobs in blasted lands...

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Jurassic indeed...
    OOOH very nice, 10/10

I thought this was going to be a Jaylock thread... anywho.

Weapon Skills were pointless. "Preferred weapon type"? We have transmog for that.

Weapon skill was tied to hit... which is gone. Temporarily, suboptimal drops due to low skill would be a nightmare. I can just see getting into a group and the tank gets a new polearm with much better stats. After she equips it she can't hold aggro because she can't hit the mob anymore... yeah that's engaging game play.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferwyn View Post
    OOOH very nice, 10/10
    Why thank you kind sir.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

10+ Year Old Account
    I loved it. But I wish it could be a bit more in depth.

Auto hitting a mob to perfection is boring. But having some sort of questline/challenge associated with it would be better.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.” - General James Mattis

It was not just a grind mechanic though.. I'm not asking Blizzard to add back a new reason to GRIND.\

Move past that and look at the REAL point. It added flavor and options to max level gameplay.

If you CHOSE to grind, that was your fault.
    Yes, shit is a flavor, and not many folks like it.

There was nothing optional to it. "Sorry guys, this new BiS 2h sword is great and all, but I still have to use my shitty old axe until I level my weapon skill". Such a fun, compelling concept.

Jesus christ no. They were shit and it was a pain in the ass especially as Melee getting Ramaldnis then getting the 2H from LK and having to train 2 handed swords then getting the Heroic 2h mace and having to train maces. It was boring, mundane and a crap feature.