Quote Originally Posted by Benomatic View Post
    Alodi. In main universe canon, Alodi was male.
    It was Glenn Close wasn't it? Well that's close enough to a male.

Sorry about my ignorance of how they made Garona green, thought it was make-up. But seriously, and only at the end, I could see a lot of brown coming through the center of her face. Through out the rest of the movie her face looked perfectly green.

Mind you I saw this at home so rewound that scene a bunch to see what was going on.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by slime View Post
    It was Glenn Close wasn't it? Well that's close enough to a male.
    I thought Glenn Close was great. She fit the role well. Minor role, but nonetheless she fit. Unlike King Llane's actor. Stiff as a board.

10+ Year Old Account
    Saw it yesterday. I think it was pretty decent. Not great, but it kept me entertained. There were quite a few things that happened differently in the lore, but that was pretty much expected.

Undoubtedly the worst part of the movie for me was when some dumbasses had translated various names into Finnish in the subs. You don't translate names!

People saying the movie was a 10/10 masterpiece are just as annoying as the critics giving it 2/10 and 3/10 scores.

It was a pretty good movie, 7/10. Had numerous flaws, the acting was sketchy at times, and I'm not a huge fan of some of the artistic directions they took, I think the magic effects (not amount, but intensity) should have been toned down for a movie.

Not bad movie. Diffidently better than expected. Yes, flaws here and there and whole unique lore point (as not following canon), but in general 7/10 will wait for next part hopefully.

15+ Year Old Account
    Khadgar's actor fit extremely well. He was probably the best fitted actor there; next to Medivh. Both mages played very well.

Honestly I'd agree with 7/10, or 7.5/10 even.

It does have flaws, the biggest one being that it skipped so much explanation at the start. I feel like it should of been an extra hour longer, rather than just being like "Yeah, orc home ded". It's like, you can understand immediately within the first 10 minutes why fans are enjoying it while others are left confused.

Quote Originally Posted by skatblast View Post
    Can somebody explain this to me. towards the beginning when they first meet the girl orc the king points to the map and asked where they were from. The map is only of the eastern kingdoms. Do they not know about kalimdor at all at this point? I mean there are elves in a few shots they must know they arnt from the eastern kingdoms...
    I'm pretty sure High elves aren't from Kalimdor.

Still very hopeful for sequels (or even a Cinematic universe), War of the ancients would look amazing with this level of cg.
    Last edited by UnluckyAmateur; 2016-06-11 at 09:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boomzy
    People just want to be bullies without facing any sort of consequences or social fallout for being a bully. If you declare X as a racist/sexist/homophobic/etc. person you can say or do whatever you want to them, ignoring the fact that they are a human.

10+ Year Old Account
    I apologize if I've missed the question being asked and answered somewhere already...

Does anyone know if it's possible to use the free pass you get from seeing the movie at Regal to do a refer-a-friend account?

Just saw it today. I agree with most fans of the franchise of it deserving a 6 or 7/10 around that. It has its moments, but there are others that are just "eh". Most of the human characters are rather boring (Lothar especially) I enjoyed Medivh. Khadgar had hit or misses, he reminded me of Shia Labeoufs character from Transformers, but not nearly as bad. The Orcs probably were the most interesting, Durotan was just awesome. There were some different takes on the lore, but nothing too serious. The special effects were amazing and all of the fight scenes are just bad ass. All in all I enjoyed it, if you're a fan of Warcraft it's worth checking out or if you're looking for a good popcorn flick. Definitely not as bad as these big movie critics are giving it, but it certainly isn't flawless.
    Last edited by Roamingstorm; 2016-06-11 at 09:27 PM.
    "Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man."

At this point, considering what the film is likely to make in the aftermarket (with streaming and with millions of fans likely to buy the DVD, perhaps multiple versions of it), I think it's more likely than not the film will make a profit, and a sequel will be greenlighted.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Outland View Post
    People saying the movie was a 10/10 masterpiece are just as annoying as the critics giving it 2/10 and 3/10 scores.

It was a pretty good movie, 7/10. Had numerous flaws, the acting was sketchy at times, and I'm not a huge fan of some of the artistic directions they took, I think the magic effects (not amount, but intensity) should have been toned down for a movie.
    Exactly, I fully agree with you, though I'm going to give it 6/10.

Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    At this point, considering what the film is likely to make in the aftermarket (with streaming and with millions of fans likely to buy the DVD, perhaps multiple versions of it), I think it's more likely than not the film will make a profit, and a sequel will be greenlighted.
    Film will easily make $500+ million in the cinema alone. Not sure how much of that $500 mill will actually translate into profits because of China, but yeah.

I think Warcraft 2 will also be more interesting than Warcraft 1.

Saw it last night, I enjoyed it quite a bit, thought the Orcs were very well done, but it didn't quite hit the overall mark I was hoping for. I can't really put my finger on it but some of the sets just didn't look, I guess realistic enough, some were convincing and others just felt hastily put together. I don't normally argue for splitting movies into parts but I almost feel like the film could have benefited from being split into two films, they had so much to set up, and explain that it's tough to do in two or so hours. I really hope there is a longer release for the Blu Ray. I will say the fight scene with Gul'dan was pretty cool, he always seems so frail, that to see him otherwise was awesome. Overall though I think they did a good job and hope it leads to more.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord of Outland View Post
    Film will easily make $500+ million in the cinema alone.
    I'm not so sure of that. I think $400+M is a safer bet. If fans are a big part of the box office the decline from week to week may be rapid.
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Osmeric View Post
    I'm not so sure of that. I think $400+M is a safer bet. If fans are a big part of the box office the decline from week to week may be rapid.
    This is why its super important to go see the movie in the theater! Ignore the paid-critics. Go see it as a Warcraft fan, people!! I personally gave it an 8/10. I took my dad, who had known nothing previously of the franchise and he said he thoroughly enjoyed it. (though he's already a fan of fantasy genre on film)

10+ Year Old Account
    Some markets haven't been updated on Boxoffice for days.
    Germany, France, the UK and Brasil reports are 5 days old.
    Some other markets have even older numbers like the 29 or 31 of may.

Not to mention that South Korea(!), Polen and other aren't even in the list yet.

Pacific Rim made 18Million in South Korea alone. My guess is that Warcraft won't be too far from that.
    Last edited by Plehnard; 2016-06-11 at 09:48 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Plehnard View Post
    Some markets haven't been updated on Boxoffice for days.
    Germany, France, the UK and Brasil reports are 5 days old.
    Some other markets have even older numbers like the 29 or 31 of may.

Not to mention that South Korea(!), Polen and other aren't even in the list yet.
    Yup, I just looked this up too. Indeed the foreign data has not been updated for almost a week. This brings SO MUCH HOPE! I'm super excited to see the data!!!

I just got back from the theater, and give it a 7/10. It had a lot of great elements, and as a long time Warcraft fan, felt very good to me. However, I can see why so many that are new to Warcraft were confused. Keeping the film around the 2 hour mark was a mistake in my opinion, as it didn't give them enough time to hash out or explain some of the more important plot lines.

The movie really felt like it laid the ground work for future films. When I left the theater, I wasn't exactly saying "man, I really want to watch that again," as much as I was saying "man, I am really looking forward to the Warcraft 2 movie." I think it served as a good introduction, and will allow them to do a much better job with the next movie.

I can only hope they make it to Warcraft III and Arthas.

Deleted
    Finally watched it myself, just got back from the theatre as well. 7/10 is a verdict I can agree with.

The CGI was absolutely amazing and will be the reason why this movie will be remembered. Acting was all over the place with Lothar, Medivh and Khadgar being the best of the bunch (together with the Orcs). Llane, Garona, etc were horrible. Too generic, not enough energy.
    Dialogue wasn't as bad as some made it out to be, though nothing special. I liked the quips that were inserted here and there and this is really where Travis Fimmel carried the movie. He grounded Lothar, made him a likeable but also believably human hero as opposed to Llane who was as interesting as a cardboard box wilting in a late summer drizzle.

There was great fan service (the Murloc at the start even got some cheers from my fellow nerds in the audience), or the Polymorph that "lasts about a minute", locations looked amazing, and the soundtrack was sufficiently Warcraft-y without really standing out.

Overall it's obvious this is but the start of (many) more movies and this one indeed laid the ground work for sequels. I went with a mate who didn't know anything about Warcraft and he felt the story was a bit rushed, and I agree. They introduce so many people, locations, concepts in the first 30 minutes that it's a bit of a rollercoaster ride. As a longtime Warcraft fan I can easily catalogue this information, but someone entering this from a blank slate might be a bit overwhelmed.

I felt like the movie could've slowed down massively, to the point of making it 2 movies in which you take more time to explain important topics like what is 'The Fel' (the Dutch translation "Gangreen" was an eyesore), where did it come from, why is the Orc homeworld dying, who is the Guardian really and why does he exist, etc etc etc.

The movie closed out strong though, much better than the start, which left me with a very good feeling overall. The pacing towards the end was on point, the drama felt real and the visuals were amazing.

I loved it. Could it have been better? Absolutely. Story and pacing (the combination of the 2 mainly) were my biggest concerns. Soundtrack isn't anything special and the acting, save for a few (luckily the main protagonists/antagonists), was bland. The romance was horrible, absolutely detestable. I didn't buy into it for a second, largely because Paula Patton did a putrid job portraying Garona.

Should you go see it? Definitely.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Santti View Post
    Saw it yesterday. I think it was pretty decent. Not great, but it kept me entertained. There were quite a few things that happened differently in the lore, but that was pretty much expected.

Undoubtedly the worst part of the movie for me was when some dumbasses had translated various names into Finnish in the subs. You don't translate names!
    Sadly in Belgium we always have Dutch and French subtitles combined. In Dutch everything is usually just copied over (Stormwind remains Stormwind). However in French everything is translated (Stormwind then becomes Hurlevent).
    Last edited by mmoc112630d291; 2016-06-11 at 10:21 PM.