As a movie, I mildly enjoy it. Was a good one.

As a warcraft fan... nope.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiksLE View Post
    You do know, that it takes over an year and millions of dollars to produce those 4 minute cinematics?

You want to wait 30 years for a movie? Be my guest.
    No, I want blizzard to put the same heart and soul into a movie that they put into their cinematic intros. I don't want the half-assed 'in game' kind they seem to be doing these days, and I certainly don't want to watch another big budget snoozefest. I want story, characters, I want to forget I'm watching a goddamned movie.

That didn't happen in Warcraft.

Quote Originally Posted by Djuntas View Post
    Ok saw it now.

2 critics:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to little fan service. Could almost have been made in non-wow settings. Even Stormwind didn't look like SW in-game. I saw one scene that did match very good trough.

To little nightelfs..no gnomes at all and so on. Nightelfs gets 3 scenes in total...

I had hoped for more for the wow fans, but this movie was / could be any fantasy movie..And that it did great! Solid 7 atleast.
    Too little fan service? You missed all the in-game references and easter eggs that were clearly there to service fans? I'm sorry, but when a character polymorphs another character and then describes the tooltip for polymorph in a vaguely subtle through dialogue, how is that anything but fan service? I don't need to know how Polymorph works, not even as a person who has never played Wow before.

15+ Year Old Account
    Ok saw it now.

2 critics:

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY to little fan service. Could almost have been made in non-wow settings. Even Stormwind didn't look like SW in-game. I saw one scene that did match very good trough.

To little nightelfs..no gnomes at all and so on. Nightelfs gets 3 scenes in total...

I had hoped for more for the wow fans, but this movie was / could be any fantasy movie..And that it did great! Solid 7 atleast.
    SW in game? WTF? People like this is why I'm ashamed to be a Warcraft lover.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroginous View Post
    No, I want blizzard to put the same heart and soul into a movie that they put into their cinematic intros. I don't want the half-assed 'in game' kind they seem to be doing these days, and I certainly don't want to watch another big budget snoozefest. I want story, characters, I want to forget I'm watching a goddamned movie.

That didn't happen in Warcraft.
    Translation: "I want Blizzard to perform a miracle. That didn't happen in Warcraft."

10+ Year Old Account
    It was a Warcraft 1 movie, not a World of Warcraft movie

There were no Night Elves and no Gnomes - neither race was around in Warcraft 1 days, so they were omitted intentionally. If they had been included, it would have gone against the lore and story not improved it!

That said, I think this is a common misconception. A few of my friends who saw the movie were confused and disappointed in some ways because they expected a movie based on the races, characters and classes from World of Warcraft, not Warcraft Orcs and Humans on which the movie was based.

Quote Originally Posted by Toppy View Post
    I suppose if they had decided to make a warcraft movie based on established canon it may have done well.
    Your logic is...odd. I tend to think every WoW player who wanted to see the movie has seen it - how many tickets do you really think are unsold because "It's not canon!"? It's like the mythical 12 million players who are waiting to return to the game if they do [insert demand here].

The tickets they didn't sell are the ones to people who have no clue what Warcraft is. They'll get more of them in streaming and BluRay, but obviously, they didn't market the movie right, and there's not enough word of mouth to pull those ticket sales in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodwinger View Post
    Translation: "I want Blizzard to perform a miracle. That didn't happen in Warcraft."
    It's not a miracle to create cinematics. How is it a miracle to stretch the time from 3 mins to something longer, like 45 or 60 minutes?

Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    There were no Night Elves and no Gnomes - neither race was around in Warcraft 1 days, so they were omitted intentionally. If they had been included, it would have gone against the lore and story not improved it!
    There were no gnomes in great numbers before the first war, but there was a gnome as a member of the Council Of Tirsifal, under Aegwynn.

It's not clear when the Dwarves allowed them to build Gnomeregan, but they were in contact with the gnomes by that point. Metzen has never put that much effort into gnome lore, other than the 'curse of flesh" quests in Wrath.

It's a nitpick, sure, and they had no place in the movie other than fanservice, but they were known to humans in the era the movie portrays.

I actually enjoyed the movie. Its not everyday we get to see the classical DnD themed epic fantasy with dwarves and orcs and elves, so far warcraft and LoTR are the only ones i know to be released onto the silver screen, and quite frankly most fantasy movies recently released haven't given us that apart from these two franchises.

I'm amazed that some people actually hold value to some idiotic critics. What u actually do is go and actually watch the movie and vorm your own opinion, and not read some idiots that don't even know what they are talking about.

indeed, even BVS wasn't as bad as critics claimed it to be, rather dumb that people turn to opinions formulated by others when they themselves may not have felt the same way about the movie as these critics have.

Quote Originally Posted by Azkial View Post
    They made over half their budget in one week basically. If it breaks even, it's a win
    I can't believe people are shocked in the least that a movie based on a series of games with over 10M fans (based on WoW subscriptions alone) makes a couple hundred million dollars. Even more amused that people cheer this as some kind of success, other than a niche market doing exactly what was expected of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    There were no gnomes in great numbers before the first war, but there was a gnome as a member of the Council Of Tirsifal, under Aegwynn.

It's not clear when the Dwarves allowed them to build Gnomeregan, but they were in contact with the gnomes by that point. Metzen has never put that much effort into gnome lore, other than the 'curse of flesh" quests in Wrath.

It's a nitpick, sure, and they had no place in the movie other than fanservice, but they were known to humans in the era the movie portrays.
    Yeah sure. I mean, Night Elves existed during the First War too. They just weren't involved in the events of Orcs vs. Humans, and as such had no place appearing in a movie based on that game, in either case

It's likely that we will see other races such as tauren and trolls in the next film if it ever gets made, even the kingdom of Lordaeron.

Quote Originally Posted by Kae View Post
    It was a Warcraft 1 movie, not a World of Warcraft movie

That said, I think this is a common misconception. A few of my friends who saw the movie were confused and disappointed in some ways because they expected a movie based on the races, characters and classes from World of Warcraft, not Warcraft Orcs and Humans on which the movie was based.
    Blizzard really dropped the ball. Warcraft built the majority of its popularity off of WC3 and WoW. Not only is the movie based on one of the most unknown times of warcraft from a player standpoint, but its based on a subject that has proven time and time again to be unpopular (orcs vs humans) and changes things left and right for the relatively smaller player base who is aware of what goes on during the first war. So once more, who was this film made for?

Not to mention so much happens in WC2 and WC3 that they cant make movies based on them without taking out HUGE chunks of story or doing many multiple movies for each game (WC3 alone would need at least 4 not counting expansion). So they've already written themselves into a corner when they should have just been doing their own standalone storyline.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadzooks View Post
    Your logic is...odd. I tend to think every WoW player who wanted to see the movie has seen it - how many tickets do you really think are unsold because "It's not canon!"? It's like the mythical 12 million players who are waiting to return to the game if they do [insert demand here].

The tickets they didn't sell are the ones to people who have no clue what Warcraft is. They'll get more of them in streaming and BluRay, but obviously, they didn't market the movie right, and there's not enough word of mouth to pull those ticket sales in.
    Word of mouth would have certainly spread a lot more if it was based on a subject that the players themselves are actually hyped about. Rather than "Oh Orcs vs humans again. Yawn."

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Frosthands View Post
    It's likely that we will see other races such as tauren and trolls in the next film if it ever gets made, even the kingdom of Lordaeron.
    If its based on WC2 it'll have goblins, ogres, trolls, elves, dwarves, and gnomes.
    World needs more Goblin Warriors https://i.imgur.com/WKs8aJA.jpg

It was not too bad of a movie but it wasn't lord of the rings or hobbit quality. I have feeling the movie was made a lot shorter than they wanted it to be. It felt like they really squeezed the movie together story wise. I didn't think the effects were very good. A lot of things looked way too cartoonish looking and was not immersive. Especially the orcs and the environments.
    Last edited by Nihilist74; 2016-06-18 at 09:14 PM.

7+ Year Old Account
    Currently 47°, -122° ... Originally 53°, -9°
    Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    So last I heard the movie budget was around 100 to 150 Million dollars, but people are saying it needs to break 500 Million to break even. That would mean more than 2/3 of the budget went to marketing? I somehow don't think those numbers add up.
    Traditionally speaking, every movie that is made has to account for making three times what it cost to make to break even. This has been an industry standard for years.

Quote Originally Posted by Jettisawn View Post
    So last I heard the movie budget was around 100 to 150 Million dollars, but people are saying it needs to break 500 Million to break even. That would mean more than 2/3 of the budget went to marketing? I somehow don't think those numbers add up.
    You ignored the cut the theaters get (and no, it's not just typically 10% the first week; it's typically 10% after the "House Nut" is deducted, or some larger percentage if the House Nut is not reached.)
    "There is a pervasive myth that making content hard will induce players to rise to the occasion. We find the opposite. " -- Ghostcrawler
    "The bit about hardcore players not always caring about the long term interests of the game is spot on." -- Ghostcrawler
    "Do you want a game with no casuals so about 500 players?"

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Istenno View Post
    Traditionally speaking, every movie that is made has to account for making three times what it cost to make to break even. This has been an industry standard for years.
    So https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batman_Begins operated at a huge loss?

Quote Originally Posted by Nihilist74 View Post
    It was not too bad of a movie but it wasn't lord of the rings or hobbit quality. I have feeling the movie was made a lot shorter than they wanted it to be. It felt like they really squeezed the movie together story wise. I didn't think the effects were very good. A lot of things looked way too cartoonish looking and was not immersive. Especially the orcs and the environments.
    i mean Warcraft's art is generally exaggerated, with lots of colours and over the top scenery and landscapes, huge swords and armor even the orc characters are designed as such. So they were trying to stay true to that style, and looking at the game, its fairly obvious there was going to be a lot of CGI.