Page 88 of 138 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    which is probably why they went with a world building / franchise building opening storyline. TBH alot of the movie felt like it was just trying to set up future movies.

- - - Updated - - -

i've seen more convincing acting from a packet of biscuits than what Travis Fimmel can produce.
    Im Ok if they finish a trilogy with the story of the frozen throne.. jaja and after that let to your imagination

Quote Originally Posted by Soulwind View Post
    I don't need Tom Hanks or Daniel Day-Lewis for Warcraft, do you?
    A reasonable big name won't do any harm. Not for me, I really don't care, but for the general audience.

Well, I don't like him even of Vikings. You can't understand him through his body language, while you can with Downey Jr. and Morgan Freeman. There is a subtle difference between a compose acting and an empty one, and I think Fimmel is more about the second one.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitrino View Post
    A reasonable big name won't do any harm. Not for me, I really don't care, but for the general audience.
    I agree, but I wouldn't go for a good nuance actor. I'd rather have a star than someone whose talent is going to be wasted on fairly simplistic characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Lunaprika View Post
    Well, I don't like him even of Vikings. You can't understand him through his body language, while you can with Downey Jr. and Morgan Freeman. There is a subtle difference between a compose acting and an empty one, and I think Fimmel is more about the second one.
    I will say this, I liked Travis in Vikings, I thought the style is great, but seeing that he used the exact same style in Warcraft, I now think much less of him as an actor. He's not yet at the level where he can just be himself and it's going to be great, it doesn't look great, it makes him look like a one-trick pony. If he behaves the same way in one more movie, I will write him off entirely (and the style will become a turn-off).

Quote Originally Posted by Mokoshne View Post
    i just dont find fimmel believable (at all). Theres plenty of actors that i do, even TV actors. I felt the movie as a whole suffered due to casting choices.
    It also suffered in the US from a lack of big names. Honestly, if Robert Downy Jr was cast as Medivh or Lothar, many fanboys might have been upset and the movie might have been worse, but it would have made way more domestically. Granted, the movie would have cost more, too, but still..

That's just the world we live in. We keep comparing this movie to others (whether it's video game movies or fantasy movies) and almost all of them had bigger star-power. Prince of Persia and Tomb Raider (Jake Gyllenhaal and Angelina Jolie) or Lord of the Rings (Vigo, Elija, Viggo, Orlando, Ian, Sean, Hugo, Cate, Liv, etc etc and tons more recognizable faces, if not well known) ... they're not even comparable. The Marvel movies are packed with stars and the source material has been around for DECADES.

It's a high fantasy video game adaptation movie without huge names attached it (not even the director or the producers were that big -- like JJ or Joss or Bruckheimer or Spielberg or, damn ... even Michael Bay)... it's a miracle it was even made ... let alone that it's doing as well as it is.

Out of the gates, this thing has limited appeal. If anything, the fact that it MIGHT break even might be huge news ... future movies with bigger names attached might do very well. The risk will have paid off.

7.6 on IMDB not bad

Well I found the movie amusing not great nor bad

Although as a horde player it felt a bit pro alliance

Deleted
    I see RDA is in full force shitting on another Blizzard related venture.
    Good to see his hobbies haven't changed in the few years I been on this website.

That being said, haven't seen the movie my self as I haven't had a free weekend but from what I hear from friends and family (players and non players .. even my mom went to the damn movie) is mostly positive.
    My little brother didn't like it, but he did not like Lord of the rings either so his opinion I always take with a grain of salt.

I will defo go see it in the next week or 2 .

10+ Year Old Account
    The movie was awesome can't wait for a sequel.
    10700K, 32GB 3200Mhz, RTX 3080 Ti

I wasn't a big fan of Fimmel, he didn't ruin the movie or anything but especially at the start he felt like he'd wandered in from the set of Vikings. Got better by the end.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tojara View Post
    Look Batman really isn't an accurate source by any means
    Quote Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
    It is a fact, not just something I made up.

Quote Originally Posted by woozie21 View Post
    That being said, haven't seen the movie my self as I haven't had a free weekend but from what I hear from friends and family (players and non players .. even my mom went to the damn movie) is mostly positive.
    My little brother didn't like it, but he did not like Lord of the rings either so his opinion I always take with a grain of salt.

I will defo go see it in the next week or 2 .
    The movie has flaws. It's not entirely perfect. But it is fully enjoyable and almost everyone that has seen it (fan or non-fan) comes out from the theatre wanting more from that universe. Visually it's spectacular. Go watch it cause you won't regret it.

I'll watch it once it comes out on Netflix or DVD. However, with that being said, I feel that the movie laid an excellent foundation for improving upon the genre with subsequent releases of their various IPs.

Deleted
    The domestic gross is low but dude, US is just like 4% of the world population. They are not special snowflakes. Warcraft is a WORLD-WIDE franchise and I expected no other proportion in box office performance. Cos Americans are just a tiny fraction of the movie's audience.

Last edited by Joozt; 2016-06-22 at 01:46 PM.

Field Marshal I Cannot Fap To That's Avatar
    7+ Year Old Account
    I loved the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Esubane View Post
    The domestic gross is low but dude, US is just like 4% of the world population. They are not special snowflakes. Warcraft is a WORLD-WIDE franchise and I expected no other proportion in box office performance. Cos Americans are just a tiny fraction of the movie's audience.
    They are the most important market in the world (I'm not from the US myself, but it's a fact). That being said, I really hope they continue with the franchise despite the first movie flopping there, cause it has been a hit over China and a very well received movie on the EU and other important markets. I'm sure subsequents movies will have better reception on the US.
    Last edited by Vitrino; 2016-06-22 at 01:58 PM.

Everyone I've spoken to that watched it has quite enjoyed the movie. And those are non-warcraft players, most of them aren't even gamers. The majority of people who didn't go watch did so because of idiotic reviews written by clueless critics. One of my coworkers who went to see it did so based off what I told her to expect. Her husband and her enjoyed it immensely, and were glad I talked them into it. So I really feel like the only reason this flopped in the US was because people listen to critics too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Joozt View Post
    "the highest grossing video game based movie of all time" means it grossed more than other "video game based movies", which are commonly wildly unsuccessful.

It's something you say when you are looking for something good to say but come up short.

The movie didn't even pay for itself yet.

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    "the highest grossing video game based movie of all time" means it grossed more than other "video game based movies", which are commonly wildly unsuccessful.

It's something you say when you are looking for something good to say but come up short.

The movie didn't even pay for itself yet.
    You should get your facts checked

"Having earned only $37 million during its first two weekends in North America, you might think that the big screen adaptation of Warcraft – which cost $160 million to make a reality – should be considered a flop. In all honesty, that’s a pretty terrible result, but it turns out that the Duncan Jones helmed release is in actual fact the most successful video game movie of all-time.

After making $339 million internationally, Warcraft is now closing in on $400 million as it has a current haul of an impressive $377 million."

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0803096/news

The sequel(s) will likely be of the direct-to-dvd variety, but higher quality. I doubt they will do another theatrical release after this.