New build help please

So, my family is moving to a new apartment, and my wife decided to gift me with a new pc! Currently I have an...

-i5 4670k

-16gb ram

-gtx 970 4gb

the parts I feel I may be able to swap into the new build are the hdd, ssd, mouse and keyboard. So basically everything else I'd like to upgrade, this doesn't need to include a monitor as I already have one in mind. My budget is around 2k, give or take. I'd like to future proof as much as possible, and plan on gaming at 1440p, I'm not too interested in 4k. I'll add I'm mainly using this for gaming, browsing, but I may want the potential to stream. I'm not sure if there's a drop in gaming performance on a i5 compared to an i7.
    Last edited by Stonecloak; 2016-05-25 at 09:55 PM.

I'm a little confused, your current PC has a 4670k/16GB RAM and a GTX 970 or you already bought those for your new build?

If that's what you already have, about the only thing you could really get a performance increase out of would be the video card and you'd be better off waiting about a month on that.

Quote Originally Posted by Lathais View Post
    I'm a little confused, your current PC has a 4670k/16GB RAM and a GTX 970 or you already bought those for your new build?

If that's what you already have, about the only thing you could really get a performance increase out of would be the video card and you'd be better off waiting about a month on that.

No those I've had for a couple of years. I'm planning on just using the 970 until I can get my hands on a gtx 1080, or I may get a 1070, and then a 1080ti in the future, but for the time being I'd like to upgrade the rest of the pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Stonecloak View Post
    No those I've had for a couple of years. I'm planning on just using the 970 until I can get my hands on a gtx 1080, or I may get a 1070, and then a 1080ti in the future, but for the time being I'd like to upgrade the rest of the pc.
    Not really much point. Going to a Skylake CPU would only be like a 5% increase in performance and 16GB RAM is overkill as it is. If you don't have an aftermarket cooler and have not OCed your CPU, that's the best thing you could do.

Not really much point. Going to a Skylake CPU would only be like a 5% increase in performance and 16GB RAM is overkill as it is. If you don't have an aftermarket cooler and have not OCed your CPU, that's the best thing you could do.
    Ok, perhaps I overestimated how cpu upgrades are. I have a corsiar mid size tower. I think I saw water cooling kits I may be able to get. Guess I'll go all out on a monitor then for the time being until I get my hands on a 1080, or 1080ti.

So, my family is moving to a new apartment, and my wife decided to gift me with a new pc! Currently I have an...

-i5 4670k

-16gb ram

-gtx 970 4gb

the parts I feel I may be able to swap into the new build are the hdd, ssd, mouse and keyboard. So basically everything else I'd like to upgrade, this doesn't need to include a monitor as I already have one in mind. My budget is around 2k, give or take. I'd like to future proof as much as possible, and plan on gaming at 1440p, I'm not too interested in 4k. I'll add I'm mainly using this for gaming, browsing, but I may want the potential to stream. I'm not sure if there's a drop in gaming performance on a i5 compared to an i7.
    That's still a strong computer.

So, I just found out my mobo doesn't have sli support. I'm going to need a new mobo, I guess I'll use the same cpu, maybe try and overclock it a bit, I'd also like a new psu, and a new case, and a larger ssd. Any recommendations for those? I have no idea what makes a good mobo.

So, I just found out my mobo doesn't have sli support. I'm going to need a new mobo, I guess I'll use the same cpu, maybe try and overclock it a bit, I'd also like a new psu, and a new case, and a larger ssd. Any recommendations for those? I have no idea what makes a good mobo.
    Why do you think you need SLI? You really don't. The only possible reason for needing SLI is if you already have the best single card solution on the market and for some reason it is not giving you the performance you need. You said you are not interested in 4k, so you don't really need SLI. Grab a 1080 once the third party boards come out and see if the performance is enough for you before scrapping your current hardware IMO. Even 980ti's handle 1440p well, the 1080 will be even better.

Same thing for the PSU. Why do you want a new one? Is your current one failing? Newer Graphics cards are using less power, so whatever you have powering your 970 will be enough. Unless it's really old, like 4+ years or something, it should be fine.

Case is entirely personal preference. I myself am a big fan of the Corsair 200R, because it's budget friendly but still has all the features I want and is very sturdy. Other than that, I can recommend the higher-end Corsair cases, Fractal Designs R5 is great for a good "silent" case and Phanteks makes some good stuff.

SSD, Samsung 850 EVO is about the best you'll get. There are plenty that are faster in benchmarks, but we're talking about it saving you fractions of a second here, nothing to write home about.

Why do you think you need SLI? You really don't. The only possible reason for needing SLI is if you already have the best single card solution on the market and for some reason it is not giving you the performance you need. You said you are not interested in 4k, so you don't really need SLI. Grab a 1080 once the third party boards come out and see if the performance is enough for you before scrapping your current hardware IMO. Even 980ti's handle 1440p well, the 1080 will be even better.

Same thing for the PSU. Why do you want a new one? Is your current one failing? Newer Graphics cards are using less power, so whatever you have powering your 970 will be enough. Unless it's really old, like 4+ years or something, it should be fine.

Case is entirely personal preference. I myself am a big fan of the Corsair 200R, because it's budget friendly but still has all the features I want and is very sturdy. Other than that, I can recommend the higher-end Corsair cases, Fractal Designs R5 is great for a good "silent" case and Phanteks makes some good stuff.

SSD, Samsung 850 EVO is about the best you'll get. There are plenty that are faster in benchmarks, but we're talking about it saving you fractions of a second here, nothing to write home about.
    My PSU isn't that great of quality to begin with, when I built it people asked why? and I said because the guy recommended it. It's a thermiltake, and I just wanted to go with a more reliable one like corsair. It's not that big of a deal, the money. I know some have budgets, but I'm pretty good financially right now. I can afford to splurge, and the parts I don't use on the new build will most likely go to a second build for my family pc. Is my mobo failing? no, would I like the luxury of going sli if I wanted to? Yea, my system is about 3 years old anyway from when I built it.
    Last edited by Stonecloak; 2016-05-26 at 06:46 PM.

My PSU isn't that great of quality to begin with, when I built it people asked why? and I said because the guy recommended it. It's a thermiltake, and I just wanted to go with a more reliable one like corsair. It's not that big of a deal, the money. I know some have budgets, but I'm pretty good financially right now. I can afford to splurge, and the parts I don't use on the new build will most likely go to a second build for my family pc. Is my mobo failing? no, would I like the luxury of going sli if I wanted to? Yea, my system is about 3 years old anyway from when I built it.
    More reliable like corsair? Corsair is VERY hit or miss, with some of their PSUs not even able to put out the Wattage they say at temps above what a standard PC case runs, lol. Stick to XFX, EVGA and Seasonic for the PSU.

As for the rest, I mean, if you really just want to spend the money and splurge, go for it. You won't see many gains, but if you wanted to you could probably just build a whole new PC and then use what you currently have as the family PC. If you want to do that, and budget is not really a problem, I'd do something like this just for the hell of it:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($150.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($137.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1273.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-26 14:54 EDT-0400

The 960 is only there so you can put it in the family computer and put your current 970 in this system until the third party 1080s come out.

Obviously some waste here and you could cut down a bit in areas, but you want to spend the money, so why not?

More reliable like corsair? Corsair is VERY hit or miss, with some of their PSUs not even able to put out the Wattage they say at temps above what a standard PC case runs, lol. Stick to XFX, EVGA and Seasonic for the PSU.

As for the rest, I mean, if you really just want to spend the money and splurge, go for it. You won't see many gains, but if you wanted to you could probably just build a whole new PC and then use what you currently have as the family PC. If you want to do that, and budget is not really a problem, I'd do something like this just for the hell of it and bragging rights:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor ($338.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler ($84.99 @ NCIX US)
    Motherboard: Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($150.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3000 Memory ($69.88 @ OutletPC)
    Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($149.99 @ Amazon)
    Storage: Western Digital Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive ($71.99 @ NCIX US)
    Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card ($179.89 @ OutletPC)
    Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe ATX Full Tower Case ($137.98 @ Newegg)
    Power Supply: SeaSonic EVO Edition 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($88.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    Total: $1273.69
    Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
    Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-05-26 14:54 EDT-0400

The 960 is only there so you can put the family computer and keep the 970 for yourself until the 1080s come out.
    Thanks I'll take a look. I honestly didn't know that about corsair. I've had good luck with all their products so far.

Thanks I'll take a look. I honestly didn't know that about corsair. I've had good luck with all their products so far.
    It's just their PSUs. They are very hit or miss. They make really great just about everything else, but they do not make their own PSUs. Like most people, they are just other stuff rebranded and some of the stuff they chose in some of their lines was pretty near pure crap and had really bad QA. Most of their PSUs are still decent, I've used some in budget builds before, but Seasonic makes the best PSUs and very little of Corsairs line is Seasonic OEM.

Seasonic uses the highest quality Japanese capacitors and has great QA. XFX uses solely Seasonic OEM PSUs. The stuff EVGA uses when they don't use Seasonic is normally Super Flower which is a very good OEM as well. That's why I generally always recommend XFX, Seasonic and EVGA PSUs.