Leveling a warrior, dps spec useless for leveling?

I decided to reroll on new serwer and leveling now warrior (lvl 62 atm). I started as fury and dual specced prot for fast dungeon queues. At around lvl 50 I took fury and arms so i could see what spec is more fun for me. Tried arms for few levels but due low amount of skills it was very boring (rend, ms if thing did not die wait for autoatack to finish or execute proc).

So I switched to fury till outland. Queues got long so I went back to fury/prot. Fury more fun in dungeons, fast kiling solo but...

Tried prot in solo (not dungeons) and the damage are for some reason much higher than with fury. Im using same gear, 2x 2h looms as fury, 1h + shield looms as prot. My execute in prot when proc one shoot mob, in fury take maybe half hp. Tested few times on quest mob with high hp (killed few times as prot and few times as fury) and result was always the same, prot kills much faster.

Is this normal? Does dps spec later catch up or prot is the way to go for leveling till lvl 100?

I know leveling is trivial now and can be done with any spec but this surprised me and I wonder how this looks in higher levels.

10+ Year Old Account
    Levelling is fucked up.

An Elemental Shaman will 3-4 shot mobs, but a Resto Shaman will 1 shot mobs with Lava Burst/Flame Shock until level 70+.
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

Deleted
    prot gets its damage from strength and armor value, arms/fury depends on strength only thats why you are able to kill faster with prot,

at higher gear lvls for obvious reasons dps becomes better, but prot holds up pretty well to a certain ilvl

edit: you probably dont have mastery yet, that helps dps with their damage as well

Quote Originally Posted by jackofwind View Post
    Levelling is fucked up.

An Elemental Shaman will 3-4 shot mobs, but a Resto Shaman will 1 shot mobs with Lava Burst/Flame Shock until level 70+.
    Well I did not level alt for a really long time now so I wasnt aware of this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Arms is really good for leveling idk what you're doing wrong OP.

both arms and fury do just fine with dpsing as they level tank damage doesn't do nearly as much is this with or without heirlooms? also are you using the proper stats? that actually matters

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    I levelled as prot on live because prot was just flat out more fun than arms and fury was balls until you got some decent gear.

Im levelling my most recent warrior on beta as prot as well and its very viable. Mobs hit a lot harder than they do on live and being able to do multi mob pulls with no downtime as a tank spec makes things go very smoothly. In Legion, Prot is a cleave machine with excellent self healing but obviously your st output is going to be lower than Fury.

(Legion Arms is aids, and may as well not exist as far as im concerned.)

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihilan View Post
    I levelled as prot on live because prot was just flat out more fun than arms and fury was balls until you got some decent gear.

Im levelling my most recent warrior on beta as prot as well and its very viable. Mobs hit a lot harder than they do on live and being able to do multi mob pulls with no downtime as a tank spec makes things go very smoothly. In Legion, Prot is a cleave machine with excellent self healing but obviously your st output is going to be lower than Fury.

(Legion Arms is aids, and may as well not exist as far as im concerned.)
    What about your Artifact for Fury? Does going Prot at the start for leveling, and waiting until 102 to get your Fury weapons, THEN putting Artifact Power into your Fury weapons gimp you for Fury long term in any way?

If not, sounds like a good idea, maybe both for Prot and Blood. I mainly leveled as Prot in MoP, and felt better than Fury. Coming in super late to WoD, starting with T14N gear and 630 BoE weapons, everything was so piss weak it didn't matter. Leveled as Blood on my DK when you could still AoE exp grind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    Relatively little of your Ap will come during the levelling experience. By the time you hit L110 you might have purchased your first 9-12 traits. This may sound like a third of your artifact talent tree, but you have to keep in mind that the cost of traits climbs as your artifact levels. It is a linear increase of 25 ap per trait purchased until around artifact level 15 or so, then the cost begins to exponentially scale. What this means is that the vast, vast majority of your earned artifact points will come after you reach max level. The Ap you spend during the levelling process is literally a drop in the ocean compared to what you will need to eventually earn.

Also, as you learn your Artifact Research, you begin to accrue Ap faster and faster, which acts as the catchup mechanic for your offspec artifacts.

During levelling (or from dungeons while levelling, or from crafting) you will be earning Relics that you can slot into your Artifacts to keep their ilevels at a similar ilevel to the rest of your gear. These will come fairly frequently and are usually equippable by multiple Artifacts. So its not like your offspec Artifact is going to be a useless toy once you hit L110 and decide to start using it.

[To clarify, Relics are usable by multiple Artifacts but are consumed on use much in the way Gems are once socketed. They cannot be removed, but they can be overwritten. However, relics are pretty easy to get, and you can simply switch to your other spec and use a relic to upgrade that specs artifact.]

TLDR: Dont be afraid to commit to the most efficient levelling spec early on. You are not gimping yourself or your offspecs.
    Last edited by Nihilan; 2016-06-10 at 05:39 PM.

I am leveling a warrior on beta and I switched to prot last night... I'm still low lvl but my single target dps is 40k prot and only 50k fury. Multiple mob pulls makes prot way better for leveling atm...

On a side note... tested the premade 110 pvp chars on dummies and had fury doing 200k sustained single target and prot doing 150k... on almost all the casters i cant even keep above 120k for a 3 min test. Maybe this is due to the wep ilvl? i dunno... just seems odd how prot is doing more dmg than dps classes (at least in 110 pvp gear)

Deleted
    How many artifact traits do you have? More specifically, does your protection relic state you gain 1% damage per trait already?
    It used to not give it before 10 points, your 11th point started giving you the points but you would get 11% instantly. Problem was 0-10 you got 0 and it falls behind, at least it did as Blood. I didn't get anything before my 11th point.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Raar View Post
    I am leveling a warrior on beta and I switched to prot last night... I'm still low lvl but my single target dps is 40k prot and only 50k fury. Multiple mob pulls makes prot way better for leveling atm...

On a side note... tested the premade 110 pvp chars on dummies and had fury doing 200k sustained single target and prot doing 150k... on almost all the casters i cant even keep above 120k for a 3 min test. Maybe this is due to the wep ilvl? i dunno... just seems odd how prot is doing more dmg than dps classes (at least in 110 pvp gear)
    tank classes are in a broken spot right now. dmg nerfs will be coming dont worry :3

Tank all the way while levelling. Immortal + sick damage.

I've leveled tons of warriors, always went prot until max level. Instant dg queues for the most part, no worry of dying if you run into an elite above your level, quicker questing since instead of killing one or 2 mobs at a time you just mount up pull a whole area and mow them down, prot is much more viable in pvp until you hit max lvl... I really don't see the point of going dps when leveling as a warrior.

10+ Year Old Account
    Protection's AOE will often beat dps, depending on talents/gear.
    Appreciate your time with friends and family while they're here. Don't wait until they're gone to tell them what they mean to you.