Page 1 of 7
... LastLast

PArents of woman killed by illegal immigrant sue city and feds

I believe the parents are absolutely right to sue. there were failures of gov't from all parties involved here. Not maintaining proper security of a firearm, not communicating with ICE to deport that he had left jail, and ICE not acting on information that they already knew.

The whole Idea of "sanctuary cities" is horse shit anyway.

I hope they win

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) — The parents of a woman killed on a San Francisco pier have sued the city and two federal agencies, accusing them of contributing to her death because the man charged in the slaying was in the country illegally.

Kate Steinle's parents filed the wrongful death lawsuit Friday, accusing the Sheriff's Department of failing to notify federal immigration officials that it was releasing Juan Francisco Lopez-Sanchez from jail.

They also are suing Immigration and Customs Enforcement and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management. A BLM ranger reported that a gun was stolen from his car while it was parked in downtown San Francisco.

Lopez-Sanchez says he found the gun and it fired when he picked it up, striking Steinle, 32, in the back. He has pleaded not guilty to a second-degree murder charge.

Steinle's shooting death in July thrust San Francisco into the national debate over immigration.

Lopez-Sanchez was transferred to the city jail to face a marijuana sales charge after he completed a nearly four-year federal prison sentence for illegal re-entry into the country in March. The district attorney dropped charges and the sheriff's department released Lopez-Sanchez, ignoring an ICE request to keep him behind bars.

San Francisco's so-called "sanctuary policy," which was tweaked and re-affirmed last week, bars city employees from cooperating with federal immigration officials in deportation efforts. The law dates to 1989.

The sheriff at the time cited the law in defending the release of Lopez-Sanchez, a repeat drug offender and habitual border crosser.

Advocates of sanctuary protections say a clear division between local law enforcement and federal immigration authorities is needed to foster trust.

Calling the entire episode a "tragic series of events," the lawsuit seeks unspecified damages.

Steinle's parents allege that the sheriff had an obligation to alert immigration officials that Lopez-Sanchez was being released, despite the city's sanctuary policy. The lawsuit also alleges that ICE knew Lopez-Sanchez was in the San Francisco jail and that agents should have taken him into their custody regardless of the sheriff's actions.

Finally, the lawsuit alleges that the BLM agent was negligent for leaving a service handgun in a backpack in his government-issued car. A burglar broke a window and stole the backpack two weeks before Steinle was shot.

Lopez-Sanchez remains jailed in the murder case.

The San Francisco Sheriff's Department referred calls to the city attorney's office.

Matt Dorsey, a spokesman for the city attorney, said the city's "heart goes out to the Steinle family" but that the sheriff can't be "held liable for the conduct of a criminal."

Officials with BLM and ICE didn't respond to inquiries for comment Friday.
    Last edited by Theinquisition; 2016-05-27 at 11:20 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    lol wtf is up with the formatting of your post.

sort your shit out supertony
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment
    Because fuck you, that's why.

10+ Year Old Account
    holy hell edit this man!

7+ Year Old Account
    Yeah, plz close this down mods. This is a messed up post and needs to be redone if kept up.
    May the lore be great and the stories interesting. A game without a story, is a game without a soul. Value the lore and it will reward you with fun!

Don't let yourself be satisfied with what you expect and what you seem as obvious. Ask for something good, surprising and better. Your own standards ends up being other peoples standard.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm calling racist on everyone asking him to remove the WHITE spaces!
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

My bad ya'll, fixed it.

Stupid work computer lol.

You know what could have saved this women?

A WALL

I am not sure about the details, but if they are going to sue various government organs because they failed to stop illegal immigration, they are going to lose as long as there is no malpractice/misconduct. No one can guarantee absolute border security, especially if you have a big border.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    I am not sure about the details, but if they are going to sue various government organs because they failed to stop illegal immigration, they are going to lose as long as there is no malpractice/misconduct. No one can guarantee absolute border security, especially if you have a big border.
    It's akin to suing your local police department, because you got mugged.
    It is by caffeine alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the beans of Java that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shakes, the shakes become a warning.

-Kujako-

Quote Originally Posted by Kuntantee View Post
    That's not what happened. I remember when this happened, the guy had been arrested multiple times and served a prison sentence and was never deported despite recommendations to do so. Then he ended up killing someone. The feds literally had him in custody and didn't ship him back multiple times

Quote Originally Posted by Gib Lover View Post
    That's not what happened. I remember when this happened, the guy had been arrested multiple times and served a prison sentence and was never deported despite recommendations to do so. Then he ended up killing someone. The feds literally had him in custody and didn't ship him back multiple times
    He had previously been deported 5 different times.

San Francisco actually violated their own sanctuary city policy on this one. Their policy is they don't hold illegals for ICE unless there is a warrant for the person's arrest, but there was a warrant issued by the state of Texas for drug charges. He should have been detained according to San Francisco's laws, but he wasn't.

The family still has to prove the police department is responsible for the shooting though, which will be an uphill battle.

The should ship all immigrants to Nebraska. If they don't kill themselves from boredom, they will deport themselves.

Or Camden, New Jersey. Mexico might not seem that bad then.

10+ Year Old Account
    This is a fun one... An illegal immigrant kills someone, with an unsecured gun stolen from a vehicle, of a ranger. Illegal involved? Check! A gun involved? Check! A negligent uniformed officer? Check! Make this happen in a bathroom, with a transgendered Trump supporter and I think we'd have a home run...
    Folly and fakery have always been with us... but it has never before been as dangerous as it is now, never in history have we been able to afford it less. - Isaac Asimov
    Every damn thing you do in this life, you pay for. - Edith Piaf
    The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command. - Orwell
    No amount of belief makes something a fact. - James Randi

Quote Originally Posted by Kapadons View Post

Or Camden, New Jersey. Mexico might not seem that bad then.
    Woah dude, all they did was cross a border, lets save Camden for the real criminals :P

10+ Year Old Account
    They are wasting their time. But ues sanctuary cities are shit holes that should be burned to the ground with all their politicians publicly hung.

I work for a county jail in California, and just for reference... The Sheriff's Department is not allowed to hold inmates or in any way coordinate custody transfers for ICE because of a federal court order in 2014. Just one of those things where it would be "violating" a person's rights according to some liberal judges...

Herald of the Titans
    7+ Year Old Account
    Government will say it's not responsible for her protection nor is it liable. Every reason to own a gun, vote for trump and kick illegal's out of this country

Quote Originally Posted by Stacyrect View Post
    Government will say it's not responsible for her protection nor is it liable. Every reason to own a gun, vote for trump and kick illegal's out of this country
    The guy had be deported 5 times though. So he was kicked out of the country. I'm not sure why people are acting like illegals aren't kicked out.

This is a case of San Francisco releasing a prisoner and not even following their own policy since there was a warrant for this guy's arrest in Texas. If San Francisco had followed their policy correctly it would have lead to him being kicked out of the country a 6th time.

Deleted
    id say he is right to sue, this illegal was known to authorities, they should have deported him if they knew he was illegal.

and wtf, sanctuary city? why is that even a thing?

DeShaney v. Winnebago County of Social Services
    Whoever loves let him flourish. / Let him perish who knows not love. / Let him perish twice who forbids love. - Pompeii