Poll: Wizard as new hero?

Page 1 of 4
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

New hero class should be a wizard.

It would be awesome to not just have bowman, swordman, Gunman but also a wizard!
    Shooting with magic, having special spells and so on!

Would it be a good class hero idea?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Goddamn it, Gimlix, why do you keep making these threads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post
    It would be awesome to not just have bowman, swordman, Gunman but also a wizard!

This is set in the future, not some fantasy world.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surreal
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Adocul View Post
    Can still be futuristic and would be a nice switch with the rest
    Quote Originally Posted by Shekora View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam the Wiser View Post

If they made it work like the Bright Wizard from Warhammer:Vermintide, then sure!

She has a mechanic that the more you fire your normal attacks, the more Heat you generate. Too much Heat and you start to damage yourself, so you either hold R to "reload" or cool down OR you turn that Heat into an AOE attack.

Whatever the next class is though, I'd like either someone with a Crossbow (duel wield or large two-hander), or a Machine gun. Gotta get the Heavy from TF2 into OverWatch somehow Kappa.

Fantasy elements are more technology based. I'd argue that Mei fits the wizard motif rather well, given the thematic restrictions.

The world could always need more Classes. Not. We need more supports.

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Gimlix View Post

I don't think the Overwatch world has magic to that degree. The most you see right now is Hanzo/Genji's dragons, which are probably mystic but might still actually be nanotechnology or something.

And hey, Mei's basically an ice mage anyway.

YES A WIZZURD, Make it Emma Watson, and her ultra can be to unleash a wave of friendly refugees to give out hugs and heal her entire group!!!

Post more constructively.
    Last edited by Alarinth; 2016-05-30 at 10:43 PM.

Yes, those walking talking apes that erupt into beast mode, cybernetic invulnerable monks throwing chi balls and winged medics with the power to raise the dead are surely the wave of the future .......

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by hydrium View Post
    Yes, those walking talking apes that erupt into beast mode, cybernetic invulnerable monks throwing chi balls and winged medics with the power to raise the dead are surely the wave of the future .......
    Everything you listed could be classified as Science Fiction and not Fantasy, which is what Overwatch is.

The closest you could get to a Wizard would be a Magician. Even then it would be illusions, sleight of hand, and "magic."
    grim toll is the worst trinket you could get for survival. Hands down Meteorite wheat stone is better than it.

Everything you listed could be classified as Science Fiction and not Fantasy, which is what Overwatch is.

The closest you could get to a Wizard would be a Magician. Even then it would be illusions, sleight of hand, and "magic."

Everyone knows Star Wars is a famous fantasy series.

I'd love to see a mesmer type. They could put a scifi spin on that pretty easily, I'm sure
    http://thingsihaveneverdone.wordpress.com
    Just started my 24/7 LoFi stream. Come listen!
    https://youtu.be/3uv1pLbpQM8

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Everyone knows Star Wars is a famous fantasy series.
    "Star Wars makes no correlation, no reference to our real world, the same as Lord of the Rings (which we don't consider sci-fi). Earth, our solar system, America, none of these things are connected to either movie, and because so both are considered fantasy."

At least what I think as well.

Yes, but Star Wars happened in the past...Jesus man. Seriously though, it's a futuristic sci fi fantasy shooter, pretty sure they can get away with whatever they want if they implement it correctly.

"Star Wars makes no correlation, no reference to our real world, the same as Lord of the Rings (which we don't consider sci-fi). Earth, our solar system, America, none of these things are connected to either movie, and because so both are considered fantasy."

Fine let's go closer to home since you are determined to be wrong.

Half of Marvel superheroes with "magic" powers were created using science and are also based on Earth.

Fight it all you want, the argument (that you created even) is on my side.
    Last edited by hydrium; 2016-05-29 at 12:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cattleya View Post
    I don't think the Overwatch world has magic to that degree. The most you see right now is Hanzo/Genji's dragons, which are probably mystic but might still actually be nanotechnology or something.

And hey, Mei's basically an ice mage anyway.
    I think they're no more magical than Symmetra's turrets or Reinhardt's shield. There's this solid hologram/energy field technology everywhere in Overwatch, which is what I think the dragons are made of.

The "Shimada ability" might have more to do with controlling them or just having those custom dragon-themed energy weapons.

That said, nothing stops them from making a "wizard" who uses this technology with a fantasy flavour. We do have a cowboy with a terribly impractical six-shooter afterall. Style over substance!

If it was technology simulating magic, I would be on board.

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    Fine let's go closer to home since you are determined to be wrong.

Half of Marvel superheroes with "magic" powers were created using science and are also based on Earth.

Fight it all you want, the argument (that you created even) is on my side.
    Science fiction explores what is possible (even if it’s improbable), while fantasy explores the impossible.

Let's also not forget that the world of our universe has unexplained mysteries and a deep seated belief in mysticism, magic, shamanism, vampirism, lycanthropy, and anything else you can imagine. It's no great length to believe they could introduce a technomancer or cybernetic werewolf or even full flesh and blood vampire that shoots from a crossbow.

Deleted
    I don't want "magic" into this world, at all. It's already got enough pseudoscience with shit like Mercy's beam, which somehow repairs living tissue and robots (metal, electronic parts and so on), which is basically magic right there.

The amount of energy needed for it to be some kind of a nanobot stream which then do their job at light speed would be insane.