Page 1 of 5
... LastLast
    Deleted

Possible Warcraft Movie Error

During the Warcraft movie my friend and I looked to eachother in confusion as Lothar says the word 'Hell', has there ever been mentions of hell in Warcraft previously?

Many times. Quest names, zone names (HELLfire), spell names (HELLfire again), creatures (Hell Hounds), etc.

I believe the land that Sylvanas goes to when she hurls herself from Icecrown Citadel is also referred to as hell, though I'd need to double-check that.

Uther also mentions it in WC3:

Quote Originally Posted by Uther the Lightbringer
    I hope there's a special place for you in Hell, Arthas.
    Last edited by TyrannicalPuppy; 2016-05-31 at 03:39 PM.

Deleted
    my friend and I looked to eachother in confusion
    Sounds a little overdramatic to be true, honestly.

LOL.

This entire movie is an error from beginning to end, the number of desyncs with the official lore and the number of times the movie is illogical and downright stupid is humongous.

You are pointing to a pile of crap and saying that it's not very clean because there's a horse hair on it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Seiren View Post
    Sounds a little overdramatic to be true, honestly.
    Maybe they do that often.

Quote Originally Posted by TyrannicalPuppy View Post
    Many times. Quest names, zone names (HELLfire), spell names (HELLfire again), creatures (Hell Hounds), etc.

I believe the land that Sylvanas goes to when she hurls herself from Icecrown Citadel is also referred to as hell, though I'd need to double-check that.

Helheim. Literal hell.
    1) Load the amount of weight I would deadlift onto the bench
    2) Unrack
    3) Crank out 15 reps
    4) Be ashamed of constantly skipping leg day

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    LOL.

This entire movie is an error from beginning to end, the number of desyncs with the official lore and the number of times the movie is illogical and downright stupid is humongous.

You are pointing to a pile of crap and saying that it's not very clean because there's a horse hair on it.
    Well good thing the movie exists on its own and in no way is trying to alter the actual history of Warcraft, thereby allowing them as much creative freedom as they want while still maintaining a connection to the source material.

If you don't like what they're doing with it, don't watch it. No one's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to. You won't be missing anything but a fun fantasy movie if you decide to skip it.

If you think the word "hell" is bad then what about "bitch"? Sylvanas been called that twice:P

Even npcs like Garrosh and Grom (HELLscream)

[Snip] Ha, first post beat me to it.

The Unstoppable Force
    15+ Year Old Account
    Where Thrall and the Horde needs me to be
    Not to mention that Warcraft 1 refers to the orcish warlocks and shamans casting spells fueled directly from Hell. Granted, this has been changed, but still.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Helheim. Literal hell.
    Literal Hel, as in the Norse underworld, not Hell, as in the Biblical pit of endless torment.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by rda View Post
    LOL.

Excuse me derp, you seem to have missed a pile of herp over there in the corner.

Amazing sig, done by mighty Lokann

If you don't like what they're doing with it, don't watch it. No one's putting a gun to your head and forcing you to. You won't be missing anything but a fun fantasy movie if you decide to skip it.
    Sure, I am just pointing out that it is a bit ridiculous to expect small details like those that concern the OP to be cosher and legit when far bigger things in the movie lack logic and sense.

Hell has been used several times as a throwaway term, but there's never been any explanation for what "hell" is in Warcraft. There are of course references to things that could be viewed as a form of hell, but none of them are actually called "hell".

Hell specifically has never been mentioned in lore.

Quote Originally Posted by Faeriel View Post
    my friend and I looked to eachother in confusion
    Dude.. pretty sure you misread that look. Your friend probably expected the night to end with the two of you hooking up. Bet your friend will give the movie a bad review because you misread that signal. Shame.

To add on something else that I forgot in my first post, they also don't speak English on Azeroth, they speak Common. So, it stands to reason that they very likely have their own version of Hell, whatever that is, and the only translation that exists for it is "Hell" because the concepts are close enough to being identical.

Deleted
    Well now I feel stupid with all those refferences of hell, you're right, are there also refferences of heaven, angels or other things in the lore? Are these things seen as religious belief or fact?
    Last edited by mmoc87057e1ac1; 2016-05-31 at 03:56 PM.

Well now I feel stupid with all those refferences of hell, you're right, are there also refferences of heaven, angels or other things in the lore? Are these things seen as religious belief or fact?
    No hell, tons of religions, most with their versions of heaven and angels. All of the things are facts. (Are you new to this? Look up words like "the Light", "Naaru", "Loa", etc, and go from there. Ignore the movie, it's irrelevant.)

Hell is a place that the cursed (undead) souls are sent when they're killed for the last time (a la Sylvanas and Arthas during her leader short story). I don't think heaven or angels have ever been mentioned as official canon since WC1, when the Light was still referred to as "God" by the Clerics of Northshire.

It's just a catch all phrase, like men and women is for genders, aka dwarf men and women.

Quote Originally Posted by shuubi View Post
    Maybe they do that often.
    Very likely.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Sorrowseer View Post
    It's just a catch all phrase, like men and women is for genders, aka dwarf men and women.

Very likely.
    I find your avatar very likeable.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Netherspark View Post
    Hell has been used several times as a throwaway term, but there's never been any explanation for what "hell" is in Warcraft. There are of course references to things that could be viewed as a form of hell, but none of them are actually called "hell".

Hell specifically has never been mentioned in lore.
    There was an actual literal Hell referred to as such in the original RTS. It's from where daemons came and warlocks channeled their magics.

Hell is a place that the cursed (undead) souls are sent when they're killed for the last time (a la Sylvanas and Arthas during her leader short story). I don't think heaven or angels have ever been mentioned as official canon since WC1, when the Light was still referred to as "God" by the Clerics of Northshire.
    It seemed to have been retconned after WC1, but Chronicle brought it back around with humans being introduced to the Light by having visions of naaru, inspiring their concept of angels.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by willtron View Post
    Helheim. Literal hell.
    Quote Originally Posted by Venziir View Post
    Literal Hel, as in the Norse underworld, not Hell, as in the Biblical pit of endless torment.
    Yea, Helheim is the Norse generic underworld, very similar to the ancient Greek mythology. The underworld being just the realm where all of the dead go. The Old Norse mythology didn't actually make a real distinction between Helheim, Valhalla, or Folkvang.

In Greek, there are different regions within the underworld (Elysium, Fields of Punishment, etc.).