World class story tellers?

Through wow, blizzard has become world renown and world class or "best in the industry" has been attritbuted to some of their teams.

The music score I think is outsourced, world class composers are hired to write the scores.
    World class actors (often) cast to voice the characters
    They hire world class artists to their art team
    Their games system designers are regarded as world class
    Their huge tech, programmers, tool creators are also regarded as some of the best in the world

I can't get a read on their story tellers though! The creative team and writers, what's the general feel in the global community about them? What's your feel about them? Both for in-game quests, creative direction and progression of lore, the novelists paid to write the novels -- i mean those who write the novels are not the people that work on the story in -game right?

So where is this section generally speaking?

Blizzard's always focused on cinematic quality over actual plot, which is obviously working in their favour, judging by the sales they get. From what I've seen and heard most people are quite negative about Blizzard's actual stories, as they tend to be cliche ridden, predictable and (especially in WoW) have a tendency to just forget about characters. World of Warcraft especially has a problem where so little of the plot is contained in the game itself compared to novels, comics and whatever else.

As an aside, Blizzard was well renowned before World of Warcraft.